Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2005, 10:35 AM
BP Mafia

Default So much for disposable income

Earlier in the spring, my wife got the house hunting bug and decided that it was time we move. I couldn't offer much in the way of disagreement because we've truly outgrown the house that we bought in 1989 and planned to stay for only five years. The kids are 12 and 15 now, and it seemed like we were always bumping into each other when we tried to entertain ourselves. Our first two attempts at making deals were just a joke. The earliest one was a house with tons of potential, but that had been left to go without improvements since 1978. Maria was excited about the possibilities, but the lady was sure she had a goldmine on her hands and turned down an offer for $180k just before we were about to offer $175k. She was thinking more along the lines of $260k. The second house was on a street that we've loved for years, but the seller was "difficult" and his agent "crooked". We'll leave it at that. We had gone through another house at the same time as the second, but we thought it was way out of our range, so neither of us really considered it. Long story cut to medium length, they dropped the price on Friday, we offered, they countered, we countered, they countered and we had a deal yesterday after lunch. So now we're faced with getting our current home sold, but we have a house waiting for us that might be everything we wanted in a home. It even has a pool, which was something I NEVER wanted, but which should keep the kids and their friends in sight through the crucial high school years, something my wife was particularly interested in. Plenty of space, but I never thought the day would come that we'd be talking numbers like this. I feel like I'm free-falling. Looks like my days of buying whatever strikes my fancy are over. (Not actually true. All of the Q-Modeling kits struck my fancy, as have the Mars Landers, but I've never been able to talk myself into pulling the trigger on any of those. )
Anyway, that's how my weekend went, and how life looks like it will go in the future. At least I can still clone.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 07-25-2005, 09:56 AM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
Long story cut to medium length, they dropped the price on Friday, we offered, they countered, we countered, they countered and we had a deal yesterday after lunch. So now we're faced with getting our current home sold, but we have a house waiting for us that might be everything we wanted in a home. It even has a pool, which was something I NEVER wanted, but which should keep the kids and their friends in sight through the crucial high school years, something my wife was particularly interested in. Plenty of space, but I never thought the day would come that we'd be talking numbers like this. I feel like I'm free-falling. Looks like my days of buying whatever strikes my fancy are over. (Not actually true. All of the Q-Modeling kits struck my fancy, as have the Mars Landers, but I've never been able to talk myself into pulling the trigger on any of those. )
Anyway, that's how my weekend went, and how life looks like it will go in the future. At least I can still clone.

Congratulations, Bill! We're looking into the same thing now. We've outgrown our house and want to move farther out into the "burbs".
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 07-25-2005, 03:28 PM
When only stupid will do...

Quote:
Long story cut to medium length, they dropped the price on Friday, we offered, they countered, we countered, they countered and we had a deal yesterday after lunch. So now we're faced with getting our current home sold, but we have a house waiting for us that might be everything we wanted in a home. It even has a pool, which was something I NEVER wanted, but which should keep the kids and their friends in sight through the crucial high school years, something my wife was particularly interested in. Plenty of space, but I never thought the day would come that we'd be talking numbers like this. I feel like I'm free-falling. Looks like my days of buying whatever strikes my fancy are over. (Not actually true. All of the Q-Modeling kits struck my fancy, as have the Mars Landers, but I've never been able to talk myself into pulling the trigger on any of those. )

Congrats Bill! I think you'll find that after the initial shock and drudgery of moving you'll have more hobby resources than you imagined. The real problem with moving to a new house is the time budget for nice little things like hobbies goes down the tubes. Take it from me, the guy who's moved twice in five years. There are a lot of reasons that I don't have the rocketry time I used to, but the moving is chief among them. I'm just now seeing a possibility of spending more time at it and yet with NARAM in town and all the rocket guys I like coming in, I still can't go
Old 07-25-2005, 04:28 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScooterM
Congrats Bill! I think you'll find that after the initial shock and drudgery of moving you'll have more hobby resources than you imagined. The real problem with moving to a new house is the time budget for nice little things like hobbies goes down the tubes. Take it from me, the guy who's moved twice in five years. There are a lot of reasons that I don't have the rocketry time I used to, but the moving is chief among them. I'm just now seeing a possibility of spending more time at it and yet with NARAM in town and all the rocket guys I like coming in, I still can't go

You mean "Congrats Maria (and bill)". This is not my idea of a good time, but I guess if I live through it I'll manage. I'm a little overwhelmed at the moment.
BTW, didn't you mean to say that you moved twice in a year? If you hear a large, sticky splat, you'll know Maria decided to follow your lead. Say nice things about me at the funeral.

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Old 07-25-2005, 07:34 PM
When only stupid will do...

Quote:
You mean "Congrats Maria (and bill)". This is not my idea of a good time, but I guess if I live through it I'll manage. I'm a little overwhelmed at the moment.
BTW, didn't you mean to say that you moved twice in a year? If you hear a large, sticky splat, you'll know Maria decided to follow your lead. Say nice things about me at the funeral.

Um, yeah if you want to be PRECISE about it, I moved twice in 5.5 months . And it sure as hell wasn't my idea of a good time either. Home buying is an emotional experience and my wife had an adverse emotional reaction to the house we bought (thought we'd love it--she hated it) and when a house that we both fell in love with that had nearly everything we wanted came on the market, I forced a grin, groaned inside and moved again. Sigh. Upside is that we love the house we're in and happiness rules dude.
Old 07-25-2005, 09:31 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScooterM
Um, yeah if you want to be PRECISE about it, I moved twice in 5.5 months . And it sure as hell wasn't my idea of a good time either. Home buying is an emotional experience and my wife had an adverse emotional reaction to the house we bought (thought we'd love it--she hated it) and when a house that we both fell in love with that had nearly everything we wanted came on the market, I forced a grin, groaned inside and moved again. Sigh. Upside is that we love the house we're in and happiness rules dude.

Wait 'til you get a load of this place we're buying. Any "adverse" reactions, emotional or otherwise, will be buried DEEP in the woods behind the place. When I get the chance, I'll send you a link to it.

I miss being SAM 0058