Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2008, 06:17 PM
Yet another BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solomoriah
I don't "need" them either... but considering how long we all know they keep on the shelf, I don't see any reason not to stock up if they are cheap.

I'm holding out for lower prices on the ones the Kirksville Wal-Mart has on clearance, now that I have enough for a while anyway.

I'm doing the same - I just took the last 2 packs of A10-PT, leaving about 4 packs of A10-3T and a bunch of C6-3 and C6-5.
Old 08-16-2008, 08:41 PM
BAR Wannabee

Send a message via MSN to JRThro Send a message via Yahoo to JRThro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solomoriah
I don't "need" them either... but considering how long we all know they keep on the shelf, I don't see any reason not to stock up if they are cheap.

I'm holding out for lower prices on the ones the Kirksville Wal-Mart has on clearance, now that I have enough for a while anyway.

That's what I was going to say. I sure didn't need all of the C6-5's and B6-4's I picked up on clearance at Target, but I know I'll be able to use them in time. Or someone else who's at a launch I attend will be able to use them.
John Thro, NAR #84553 SR
I was too old when I started! Now I'll *never* become a BAR!
Old 08-17-2008, 07:26 AM
Master Modeler

Will have to check the Target in our area this week and see what they have left..Was in my local WalMart a couple days ago and they had some motors that they rarely carry(B6-4 and B4-4) so I grabbed a couple of each and was pleasantly surprised when they rang up for $4 each Would have gone back to the shelf and 'cleaned them out' but was pressed for time..Still trolling for the elusive A10-PT's tho....
SAM #0396
BAR 02/07
NAR 86940
KF4GUL
Aim high, fly straight!
Old 08-17-2008, 10:12 PM
Master Modeler

When I first noticed the discount motors at the local WM they were marked down but still in their "usual" location on the shelves. I returned Saturday to pick up a few more packs but the clearance items had been consolidated on one aisle. After searching a bit, I found the last of the motors they had still at $4.00 per pack but the A10-P were still $3.00. Afterwards I went back to the toy department to browse the new layout; even studying the layout sheets they tape to the shelves. I saw no indication that this WM was going to continue carrying Estes rocket products. There was only 1 shelf space allocated for some sort of Estes/Cox airplane. If WM is dumping Estes, it may not bode well for the big E.
Was once SAM#0132
Old 08-18-2008, 07:55 AM
Master Modeler

Send a message via Yahoo to barone

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveR
......... If WM is dumping Estes, it may not bode well for the big E.

I guess maybe it's just select Wal-Marts doing the dumping. The ones I've been to lately still show about a four foot section of shelving on the layout sheets for Estes products. Albeit, the bottom shelf.....
Old 08-18-2008, 08:24 AM
Incorrigible Kit Basher

Things were slightly rearranged at Kirksville this week, but still there is an empty section for engines priced at $4.97, a section for C6-3's specifically marked "$4.00 previously $6.97" and a bunch of assorted engines in the clearance toys section marked $4.00.

I don't think they know what they are doing.

In the regular toys there are two starter sets, the two-rocket Launchables set and the Patriot RTF set. The Astrobeams have been consigned to the clearance toys.
Once upon a better day... SAM #0076
My site: http://rocketry.gonnerman.org
Old 08-18-2008, 08:47 AM
Mr. Dual Eggloft

Location: Illinois: where our Governors make our license plates.

Target, *mart, et al are probably just clearing out their summer seasonal merchandise, be it rockets, swimming pool stuff, et al, so that they ahve space for all the xmas stuff that will show up in a couple weeks.
Old 08-18-2008, 12:09 PM
BAR Wannabee

Send a message via MSN to JRThro Send a message via Yahoo to JRThro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Kaplow
Target, *mart, et al are probably just clearing out their summer seasonal merchandise, be it rockets, swimming pool stuff, et al, so that they ahve space for all the xmas stuff that will show up in a couple weeks.

The Target stores in Houston are definitely clearing out swimming pool stuff, Estes rocket motors, High School Musical 2 toys, and Prince Caspian action figures, as well as a bunch of other items. I'd be willing to bet that next summer, they'll be selling the swimming pool toys again. So putting something on clearance now doesn't necessarily mean that it's gone forever.
John Thro, NAR #84553 SR
I was too old when I started! Now I'll *never* become a BAR!
Old 08-18-2008, 01:08 PM
Yet another BAR

Walmart near the office just dropped C6-3's to $3.00 from $4.00. I bought the last 6 packs. Nothing else left.
Old 08-18-2008, 04:44 PM
7/21/61

My local Targets have no rockets.

My local Walmart has motors (just C6s) at $4. The Astrobeam starter set is on clearance (already) at $19. The Nitro Launch Sets which have been on clearance since last November finally reached my price point today at two for $6. Still a few launchable kits on the clearance shelf (9 months now) for $7.

My question is whether WM is dumping Estes entirely or if they will completely restock in October and clearance the same items a month later like they did last year.

Actually, since my local hobby store, Comonwealth Displays, reduced their walk-in hours to one day a week, I've resolved not to buy motors anywhere but Commonwealth, or from vendors at the launches I attend. I'm way more concerned about whether Commonwealth and my launch vendors stay in the rocket business than I am whether WM does.