Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Mission Control
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2020, 03:43 PM
BP Mafia

Default B6-4 Field launch, 11-29-20

Today was everything they had predicted, so I picked up a new pack of batteries at Lowe's, (wife had a coupon,) and hit the field with two boxes of rockets. Everything I packed was either new or hadn't been flown in 2020. Temps were mid-50's, winds were light at best, and the field was empty. I wound up with 18 flights on the day, and would easily have had 25 or more except for the fact that I TOTALLY KILLED THE NEW BATTERIES!!!
Yeah, the Bunny gave up the ghost, tossed his drum away and slunk off to cry somewhere. I'm off to work on the blog before the weather changes and winter arrives.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 11-30-2020, 06:54 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Glad someone else was able to enjoy the day. I got out a bit myself, though had a late start. I headed to Miami Meadows about 3:30 and managed about 5 launches (wasted an hour looking for a couple lost rockets, but was fortunate to find one of them...about 30 feet behind me and opposite from the direction I headed in search!). Was able to get the maiden flights in on the Ghost Chaser, Superbird and Mongoose. Lost the Custom Screamer but it's easy to replace.

Not sure when we'll get another day as good....as I told my wife....it's hard to have a day that's warm (or warmish), little to no wind and a weekend all come together on the same day!

(On the negative side...the field was quite swampy....made retrieving unpleasant....)
Old 12-01-2020, 10:19 AM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by caheaton
Glad someone else was able to enjoy the day. I got out a bit myself, though had a late start. I headed to Miami Meadows about 3:30 and managed about 5 launches (wasted an hour looking for a couple lost rockets, but was fortunate to find one of them...about 30 feet behind me and opposite from the direction I headed in search!). Was able to get the maiden flights in on the Ghost Chaser, Superbird and Mongoose. Lost the Custom Screamer but it's easy to replace.

Not sure when we'll get another day as good....as I told my wife....it's hard to have a day that's warm (or warmish), little to no wind and a weekend all come together on the same day!

(On the negative side...the field was quite swampy....made retrieving unpleasant....)

Miami Meadows! I launched there in 2001, the weekend before 9-11. My Big Daddy lawn darted spectacularly. My wife and I were out to dinner a couple of years back and passed the park. It took me a minute to figure out why the area seemed familiar.
I had to deal with some swampiness in right field, but I didn't have any that landed out that far. I'm only four flights in on the blog post. I think the most exciting thing I flew was an Estes Quark on a 1/2A3-4T. I saw the whole flight, then lost it at ejection. I started scanning the horizon over by first base and saw a flash of white out of the corner of my eye. Took me ten minutes of searching, but I got it back. The only one that has ever given me problems was the 220 Swift. I'm okay with Mosquitos and the Quark. Or just lucky.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper