Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2021, 06:38 PM
Master Modeler

So Jadebox open up a dialog I've wanted to bring to this forum for a long time.

Harry Nilsson is his muse. And I like him.

But mine is John Denver.

I'm a huge fan!
I have all his albums in vinyl, cassette and CD.
As I'm writing this, PBS is promoting JD.
I have books and magazines and newspaper articles of John Denver.
I learned to play guitar because of John.
I made part of my living because of JD.
I grew up listening and watching JD on T.V.
I have seen/heard John Denver in concert several times, each show was a special event deserving it's own story on it's own.
My first concert was my favorite!
Ask me, I'll tell you about it.

And Please share your stories of your concerts.

Last edited by dlazarus6660 : 02-27-2021 at 07:04 PM.
Old 02-28-2021, 08:17 AM
Roger Smith/JonRocket.com

A gentleman writing a book about Harry Nilsson recently asked me why I like Harry Nilsson and his music. I explained how I was introduced to Nilsson, but he pushed me to explain the emotional connection I felt.

I found it difficult to answer. I would really make a terrible movie reviewer or music critic. "The Princess Bride - it was good."

I think for fandom to grow like that it isn't just that you like the artist or that the artist's work moves you emotionally. I am moved by specific songs by many different artists (including John Denver, of course). But, it was Nilsson's work that captivated me. A lot has to do with the time and place and what I was going through when I discovered his music. His music hit me at the right time in my life and made an indelible impression.

Rocketry is like that. There are a million different hobbies that could drain my bank account and keep me too busy to do chores. But, it is rocketry that I love. I think it is because I was first introduced to model rocketry right at the time when my interest in physics and exploring the world through science was exploding. Then I was reintroduced to it just as my life with my wife was starting and we have shared the experience.
Old 02-28-2021, 07:42 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadebox
A gentleman writing a book about Harry Nilsson recently asked me why I like Harry Nilsson and his music. I explained how I was introduced to Nilsson, but he pushed me to explain the emotional connection I felt.

I found it difficult to answer. I would really make a terrible movie reviewer or music critic. "The Princess Bride - it was good."

I think for fandom to grow like that it isn't just that you like the artist or that the artist's work moves you emotionally. I am moved by specific songs by many different artists (including John Denver, of course). But, it was Nilsson's work that captivated me. A lot has to do with the time and place and what I was going through when I discovered his music. His music hit me at the right time in my life and made an indelible impression.

Rocketry is like that. There are a million different hobbies that could drain my bank account and keep me too busy to do chores. But, it is rocketry that I love. I think it is because I was first introduced to model rocketry right at the time when my interest in physics and exploring the world through science was exploding. Then I was reintroduced to it just as my life with my wife was starting and we have shared the experience.

You are a very lucky(lack of a better adverb)person.

Like you, I was touched by JD's music in a way that no one's has touch me like that before.
I was elated and soulsed by the sound and the rhythm.
It touched me so deeply that it is hard to explain.

Rocketry is the same. I love it too! But mostly, I love the people that share that same love!
Old 02-28-2021, 08:17 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

The ONLY TIME I'm up by 8:15am is if I actually have to drive to the office of for a flight to go on vacation.
Mornings before 10am should be ILLEGAL.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !