Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2020, 02:06 AM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Default Estes *Aerospace* Industries, LLC ??

Anyone want to comment on the latest announcements from Estes trying to get some Aerospace business? https://estesrockets.com/aerospace/

On Indeed.com, they are searching for a few positions, most involving "aerospace." Here's the description for "Aerospace Project Manager":

"Estes Industries has built, and our customers have flown, over 500 million small solid propellant rocket motors over the past sixty years. Estes supports a broad range of customers in the education, hobby, industrial, defense, and government markets. We currently have an opening for an experienced Aerospace Project Manager to lead multiple rocket development projects, primarily for our industrial and government clients.

The successful candidate will have a B.S. degree in some engineering or science field and at least five years of equivalent industry experience. Graduate school or an MBA are a plus. This is a hands-on leadership position managing all phases and elements of small, fast-paced development projects. Proposal writing skills are required; customer relations skills are a must. The position is located in Penrose, CO."

"Aerospace Project Engineer - Propulsion and Mechanical"
"Estes Industries has openings for several aerospace engineering positions in our Penrose, CO facility. Experience in solid rocket propulsion, thermodynamics, and mechanical or aerospace engineering is required. A minimum of a BS degree and two years of equivalent experience is required. This position is responsible for analysis, design, testing a certification of rocket motors and small launch vehicles. This position is located in Penrose, CO."

"Aerospace Project Engineer - Control, Electronics, and Software":
"Estes Industries has immediate openings for engineers interested in control and telemetry systems for small rockets and launchers. We are seeking one or more electrical engineers experienced in modern control systems, analog and digital electronics, and associated software. A minimum of a BS degree and five years practical experience is required. This position is located in Penrose, CO."

Are they looking at going after ISP's business? Electron's?

Also, they're looking for a Marketing Director. And it sounds like that spans both hobby and aerospace. Who has been in that position lately? Mike Fritz?

I'm sure with COVID they might be hurting as the education market shut down suddenly and retail is probably not doing too great (though I do note a *lot* of newbies checking into the various rocketry pages on Facebook looking to start, or start back, with rocketry). Back in the 70's, Dane Boles told me that Estes did great in recessions, but this isn't exactly your grandfather's recession (great-great-grandfather's maybe--- was there a recession with the Spanish Flu in 1918?)
Old 05-10-2020, 09:37 AM
Master Modeler

Maybe small solid upper stages? Small sounding rockets?
Old 05-10-2020, 10:05 AM
Master Modeler

Considering the Langford family’s background with Aurora Flight Science - father and both sons are, I think, aerospace engineers - this isn’t too big of a surprise. Seems like there’s a bit of a boom in building/flying rockets for research and experimentation, especially by colleges and universities.
Old 05-10-2020, 10:15 AM
Master Modeler

...was there a recession with the Spanish Flu in 1918?

The US and world economy went into a mild recession at the end of WWI but that was most likely due to ramping down war production and the loss of a big part of the German market. The Spanish Flu epidemic was probably a factor but I’d say not the biggest one. The big drop wasn’t until the early 20s, which led to the bounce back which fed into the investing bubble - which burst and exacerbated the 20th century’s Great Depression...
Old 05-10-2020, 11:34 AM
Master Modeler

"Involvement" in Aurora Flight Sciences indeed...John Langford founded the company.

This is intriguing. I wonder if they'd consider Joe Barnard (bps.space) for one of the EE positions, even though that's not what his degree is in....
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 05-10-2020, 01:18 PM
Apollo Nut

On the weblink Roy provided, I notice it says they also operate offices in Virginia, per the text taken from the page (below):

"Estes is an SBA-qualified small business. We operate offices in Colorado and Virginia. For more information, please contact us aerospace@estesrockets.com."

I wonder if this new venture would be operated out of the Virginia offices? Or, are those offices already used by some other portion of Estes? If so, I did not know they heretofore had offices in Virginia.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 05-10-2020, 02:03 PM
Master Modeler

Aurora Flight Sciences is in Virginia, near Washington DC. I figure that's the connection. What work for Estes that might be done there...well, I suppose we'd need to ask John Langford
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 05-10-2020, 02:15 PM
Apollo Nut

Hmmm. Ok. Well, I thought the Langford family had sold Aurora, no? If not then, yes that is probably the connection. But, yes, what business for Estes proper they'd be conducting there would interesting to know.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 05-10-2020, 02:48 PM
Master Modeler

Yes, Aurora was sold to Boeing.

I thought John Lanford was still involved with Aurora, but a tiny wikipedia entry on him points to a new venture (outside of Estes): https://www.electra.aero
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 05-10-2020, 04:02 PM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
On the weblink Roy provided, I notice it says they also operate offices in Virginia, per the text taken from the page (below):

"Estes is an SBA-qualified small business. We operate offices in Colorado and Virginia. For more information, please contact us aerospace@estesrockets.com."

I wonder if this new venture would be operated out of the Virginia offices? Or, are those offices already used by some other portion of Estes? If so, I did not know they heretofore had offices in Virginia.

Earl

Manassas, VA is where John has lived for the past 30+ years and where Aurora was based. They had a facility at the Manassas airport (where NARAM 50's Old Rocketeer Reunion was held) but that probably belongs to Boeing now. Then again, maybe John just sold the business and not the facilities. If he's building new planes, then he'd need a similar facility. Last I heard, John still works for Boeing, but I don't know if that was just for a transition period. In any case, an office in Virginia may just be John's house, or he might have other space there.

Last edited by Royatl : 05-10-2020 at 07:22 PM.