Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Swap Shoppe > For Sale
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2020, 10:35 AM
Old Canuck Modeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
Thanks for that explanation, Gus. I have never sold anything on ebay, so I don't really know (or understand) how the 'shipping' part works, but yes, there are sometime some VERY high costs for things to ship and it's a head scratcher. There was one just the other day, a vintage 'yellow' Estes Port-A-Pad and controller, with that yellow pad being, I'm pretty sure, the first color that it was issued in around 1969 or so. I've seen them several times, but this one was nice and clean and appeared to be unused, along with an assembled but unused controller in the original Estes starter outfit box. No bids yet and it had been listed for a while, but the shipping cost was listed as about $32!

I contacted the seller and mentioned to them that, if they really wanted to try to get some bids on the item they would maybe see if they could adjust their shipping cost, as $32 was just too high. Their reply (which was nice and cordial) was that they was using ebay's shipping calculator and that's what it came out as and they had no control over it, though they wished they could do something about it. I really did not know what else to say to them, as, mentioned above, I have never sold anything on ebay, so I was not sure how that worked, but that, as nicely as I could, told them it was probably going to be hard to get many bids with shipping charges like that.

Yeah, Earl, it's gotten really terrible since eBay decided to take care of shipping. Sellers would rather quote some outrageous shipping cost than take the time to go to the USPS website with their package dimensions and weight to get an accurate (and more realistic!) quote.
Old 07-19-2020, 10:54 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Back when I sold on ebay, I was always allowed to list whatever I wanted for shipping.
I always under-quoted.
That was about 5 years ago and have not sold anything since. I do not know if that is still allowed, but based on Steve's (Gus) reply above, it appears possible.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 07-19-2020, 10:56 AM
Old Canuck Modeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
Back when I sold on ebay, I was always allowed to list whatever I wanted for shipping.
I always under-quoted.
That was about 5 years ago and have not sold anything since. I do not know if that is still allowed, but based on Steve's (Gus) reply above, it appears possible.

As long as you don't get eBay involved, you can put in any shipping amount you want.
Old 07-19-2020, 12:18 PM
The_Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo1986
As long as you don't get eBay involved, you can put in any shipping amount you want.
That's good to know. I didn't realize shipping from the US to Canada that so expensive. That's a bummer ...
I'd of course be interested in that lot of nose cones but yeah it's way out of my price range not even without the freight considered.
SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Paint & Detail: USR Banshee
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
🚀 In Repair: SLS Lil’ Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart 1969 Trim
🚀 Stay Tuned For Fall 2021 Launch Dates