Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Mission Control
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2020, 08:49 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Smile near perfect Sunday

A busy day for me today, but a decent one. Winds about 4 mph gusting to maybe 7 mph at times, temperature a balmy 77 degrees with full sun....not bad for November!

Today I decided to launch from the spillway at East Fork State Park (about 10 minutes from home). First up as a way to check the winds was my Custom Screamer (the one with the warped fins) on a B6-4. Flight was surprising straight and nice....I guess the spin imparted by the fins can be a good thing . Unfortunately the shroud lines tangled so the chute didn't deploy. No damage to rocket so all is good.

Next up was the LOC Cool Spool on a G71-4R. I had a devil of a time getting this one to go. I initially had continuity, but no launch. After that nada. I finally ended up removing the stupid copperhead ignitor and replacing it with a first fire. That worked splendidly, though the engine chuffed for a moment before taking off. Not sure if that was due to the age of the motor (it's maybe 12 years old) or if the ignitor wasn't correctly seated. Sadly, the shock cord broke on ejection but no damage to the spool and the parachute was recovered as well. Should be easy to repair.

Next up was another launch of the Custom Screamer with the B6-4. Another straight flight with proper chute deployment.

Next launch I decided to go ahead and fly the digital Astrocam using the Tigres as the booster. This rocket works well with the camera and the bright orange color makes finding the rocket in the tallish weeds easier . First launch was with the B6-4, followed by another with a C6-5. The C6-5 flight landed near the (short) edge of the field but landed safely. Both launches had correct deployment of the 12" plastic chute, though deployment came just a touch early. An extra second of delay would have been ideal.

Final launch of the day was the Estes Big Daddy. I'd hope to send this up on a D9-4 but alas the copperhead gave me the same troubles as with the spool. I swapped it for a firstfire, but either the propellent was reluctant to light or I'd inserted the ignitor too deep (the masking tape across the end of the grain wasn't sticking very well). The ignitor ignited but failed to ignite the propellant grain. So, that motor will have to wait for another day. I swapped the D9 for a D12-5 for a perfect flight.

Attached is a link to the video of the Astrocam launches. There is one small error....at the end I said the stills are from the C6 launch, they are except for the first...it's the B6 launch. I didn't feel like redoing it to correct that minor error...

https://www.amazon.com/photos/share...qCqIuyoUTOv_lFe
Old 11-08-2020, 09:19 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

I have had more trouble with good ignition of the RMS24 D9W than ANY other Aerotech motor ever used. They almost always Chuff on Copperheads and First Fire igniters.
I have abandoned them.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 11-09-2020, 06:35 AM
BP Mafia

WSR is flying again on November 21st if you want to bookmark it to give the cornfield a try. Sounds like you're on the east side, so let me know if you're interested and we can meet at the Eastgate Mall or somewhere else close and caravan up.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 11-17-2020, 10:04 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Thanks for the offer, Bill. I may try heading up there, but if I make it will just drive as I'm not sure yet what time I would be able to arrive and leave. Thank you much for the invitation. Weather this weekend looks like it will be nice, though maybe just a touch breezy than what it had been. If I make it, I'll give the Astrocam a go in the Mongoose (2 stager).

Never mind....just saw on your FB page that that the launch is cancelled....
Old 11-17-2020, 10:57 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
I have had more trouble with good ignition of the RMS24 D9W than ANY other Aerotech motor ever used. They almost always Chuff on Copperheads and First Fire igniters.
I have abandoned them.

Even 18mm SU D10s? Wow.
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 11-17-2020, 11:07 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Abandoned only the 24 mm D9W.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 11-18-2020, 05:05 AM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by caheaton
Thanks for the offer, Bill. I may try heading up there, but if I make it will just drive as I'm not sure yet what time I would be able to arrive and leave. Thank you much for the invitation. Weather this weekend looks like it will be nice, though maybe just a touch breezy than what it had been. If I make it, I'll give the Astrocam a go in the Mongoose (2 stager).

Never mind....just saw on your FB page that that the launch is cancelled....

Wow, that was a crappy way to wake up today.

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Old 11-18-2020, 07:37 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
WSR is flying again on November 21st if you want to bookmark it to give the cornfield a try. Sounds like you're on the east side, so let me know if you're interested and we can meet at the Eastgate Mall or somewhere else close and caravan up.

Hey Bill, if the NOTRA launch on the 21st is canceled can I do my L1 attempt with WSR? Does eRockets or some other vendor support WSR launches? Even if I can’t do my L1 if NOTRA cancels I’ll probably make the drive...

John Bryan
Old 11-18-2020, 07:50 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_650
Hey Bill, if the NOTRA launch on the 21st is canceled can I do my L1 attempt with WSR? Does eRockets or some other vendor support WSR launches? Even if I can’t do my L1 if NOTRA cancels I’ll probably make the drive...

John Bryan

Just saw the post on FB about the cancellation - so never mind. Sorry y’all’s launch isn’t happening. I’ve had about enough of this bloody pandemic!

John Bryan
Old 11-20-2020, 07:45 AM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_650
Just saw the post on FB about the cancellation - so never mind. Sorry y’all’s launch isn’t happening. I’ve had about enough of this bloody pandemic!

John Bryan

Sorry. Didn't see your post until this morning. I'm sorry, too. Had a bunch of stuff prepped and ready to go.

I miss being SAM 0058