Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2020, 06:12 PM
Craftsman

Thanks Bill, I fixed my link in the first post, I found my R/C rocket glider video. The model was quite large, around 45" long, 46" wingspan. You can see how nicely it flies, even if not terribly high, very controlable on boost and glide. This was back in 2015. I flew it with a pusher propeller and electric motor a lot as well. You can see the CG mark on the top of the wing about halfway down the root chord, but you have a lot of weight in the stabs pretty far back.

https://youtu.be/jNYbTkXXd2Y
Old 11-13-2020, 08:31 AM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by burkefj
Thanks Bill, I fixed my link in the first post, I found my R/C rocket glider video. The model was quite large, around 45" long, 46" wingspan. You can see how nicely it flies, even if not terribly high, very controlable on boost and glide. This was back in 2015. I flew it with a pusher propeller and electric motor a lot as well. You can see the CG mark on the top of the wing about halfway down the root chord, but you have a lot of weight in the stabs pretty far back.

https://youtu.be/jNYbTkXXd2Y

That thing begs for the new long burn 29mm H. Looks like the motor tube is too short for one. Can it be retrofitted and balanced?
Old 11-13-2020, 10:18 AM
Craftsman

No the motor it used was 60 grams, the h13 is 205, the nose weight required would be 145 grams at least plus that much more in the rear, now add the heavier motor tube and it adds more to the rear and nose. which means an added 12 -13oz , which would be too heavy for that motor by few ounces.

Last edited by burkefj : 11-13-2020 at 10:40 AM.
Old 11-13-2020, 10:55 AM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by burkefj
No the motor it used was 60 grams, the h13 is 205, the nose weight required would be 145 grams at least, which means an added 12 oz
plus the motor tube which would be too heavy for that motor by few ounces.

An additional 12 oz. Hmm. If you could get a Budweiser sponsorship...

It's a neat model at any rate. I'd be really tempted to haul it up on a big Kadet Senior and air launch it. The E motors would do some justice if they didn't have to run up hill. I've got a Sr. that I built with less dihedral, ailerons, flaps just for the fun of it, split elevator/tail dragger, and a multi-use modified cabin area that I planned to haul up a VHS-C camera (before cheap video became available), do candy drops, etc. I had a .61 Thunder Tiger for it, iirc, but I never got around to covering it. Something large and light like that would be handy to haul/drop some of your models, but you'd need a skilled buddy to hand toss the combo. The Sr. is still in the attic. Now that electric power is maturing, I should finish it one of these days. I like the idea of not having oil all over everything or smelling like castor oil.

Last edited by tbzep : 11-13-2020 at 11:24 AM.