Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Vendors
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2008, 07:10 AM
Launching since 1970.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Doctor
The reason there are so many Space Ship One's showing up is because there are so many in stock.
If you remember, the SS1 were being given away as replacements for the X-15's.

All of the X Prize kits didn't sell well, the only kit that had a half way decent sales was the SS!.

You will NOT see the return of any X Prize kits , as the licencing agreement has not been resigned again.

So, if you want and can find any of the X Prize kits, especially the SS1, Canadian Arrow and Rubicon, I would suggest getting your hands on them, as I have mentioned above......thats it.

I also doubt that you will see the Red Max packaged in a launchable, the sales are much too high for that.

I had written all of the instructions for the X Prize kits, some were a real challenge starting from scratch.

RD

1) The Space Ship One being given away in the mass X-15 replacement (which followed the earlier recall pre-announcement where you could select a good kit from a large list) was the foam rocket in the "Launch Set", not the kit and not the Launchables version.

2) I went by the 24 hour Wal-Mart this morning on my way in to work (hit the store just after 4 am). They were finally re-setting the modulars and there was an army of workers moving stock off shelves to other shelves to make room for the new items when they arrived. The new Estes area was bare but the 8.5" x 11" layout sheet was hanging there and the displaced leftover rockets were halfway down the aisle on another shelf. Here are some tidbits FROM ONLY THIS STORE (every store is a different size and can have a different product mix chosen by the "MCP" (that would be humor...) ): 3 motor positions on the shelf that said something like 'motor asst', so these will be the standard mixed boxes of whatever Estes ships. Astrobeam on the lower shelf along with a MaxTrax and another starter set that must have been boring since I forgot what it was already. I did not see any spot for "Launchables", so this store may not get any kits. Leftover product down the aisle consisted of several starter sets (camera - snapshot or astrocam (again I forget), NSA Starship/Patriot and a couple of the plastic boxes race sets) and 3 boxes of motors (A10-3T, C6-3, C6-5 all mixed). Everything was normal Wal-Mart retail price. No mark-downs.

Of course, the Wal-Mart 40 miles away that I hit uber-early Thursday last week had 15 packs of C6-5 motors for $3 each. They are now out of the rocket business for this season.
Old 01-15-2008, 12:08 PM
Master Modeler

There were so many Space Sgip One's that they could have repackaged them in any configuration just to "get rid" of them.

The X Prize kits just didn't sell as well as expected, and, a lot of work and effort were put into them.

Rougepink did the initial design work on the Space Ship One.

But. like I pointed out, they will not return.
Old 01-15-2008, 12:30 PM
7/21/61

Quote:
There were so many Space Ship One's that they could have repackaged them in any configuration just to "get rid" of them.

The X Prize kits just didn't sell as well as expected, and, a lot of work and effort were put into them.

Rocket Doctor,

Could you tell us a bit about the process?

Estes sold the Space Ship Ones in the Hobby Store packaging and in Launchables format.

Would they normally do a single production run of each, have the whole volume shipped to the US, and then warehouse and distribute it? Or do they normally do a more gradual process where they make multiple orders from the manufacturing facilities in China?

When you say there were so many Space Ship One's it makes it sound like they had warehouses full of them, but my Walmarts and Meijers have been out of them for at least a year. When you say they could have repackaged them, would they have sent a ton of Hobby Store kits someplace (like back to China) to have them repackaged, or does Estes warehouse stuff in China?

And as for kits not selling as well as expected, obviously the expectations for kits varies, but what would be considered a good volume for a hobby store kit versus a launchable?

Thanks.
Old 01-15-2008, 02:17 PM
Master Modeler

All I know is tyhat there was a huge inventory of the Space Ship Ones, so, I guess they want to reduce the amount in inventory.

Overall, the X Prize kits didn't sell that well, there were a couple that did, such as the Canadian Arrow and the Rubicon.

The difference betrween the hobby shop kits and the launchables is that the launchable were destine for the mass merchandisers (WalMart) this was the triangle packaging.

They would not send product back to China, once it's here, that's it.
Usually, production runs are based upon orders from distributors, and usually, the orders out weigh the kits coming in from China.

Usually, a few thousand kits are produced at one time, not to over produce until sales figures are evaluated.

But, like I mentioned previously, the agreement with the X Prize organization to produce the kits has run out and not renewed.

I hope that I have answered you questions.
Old 01-15-2008, 10:06 PM
Knuckle Draggin' Engineer

I have been in 4 different local wally worlds in the last 2 weeks and not a one has had rocket stuff on clearance...

Joe W
Old 01-16-2008, 08:25 AM
Launching since 1970.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuke Rocketeer
I have been in 4 different local wally worlds in the last 2 weeks and not a one has had rocket stuff on clearance...

Joe W

Well, maybe someday you will be lucky and the following will occur:
1) Your WalMarts will discontinue Model Rockets and put remaining stock on sale.
2) You can then buy motors for $3 a pack (and maybe buy a dozen packs).
3) Then you will not be able to buy Model Rocket items at your WalMarts because they will be gone forever.
4) You can then buy A, B or C motors for over $9 per pack (plus tax if a local store, plus shipping if online) until next year when they become $10 per pack.

Hmmm. Maybe folks need to keep buying items at Wal-Mart to keep the MCP from deciding it's time to delete an item?
Old 01-16-2008, 02:43 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreadvector
Well, maybe someday you will be lucky and the following will occur:
1) Your WalMarts will discontinue Model Rockets and put remaining stock on sale.
2) You can then buy motors for $3 a pack (and maybe buy a dozen packs).
3) Then you will not be able to buy Model Rocket items at your WalMarts because they will be gone forever.
4) You can then buy A, B or C motors for over $9 per pack (plus tax if a local store, plus shipping if online) until next year when they become $10 per pack.

Hmmm. Maybe folks need to keep buying items at Wal-Mart to keep the MCP from deciding it's time to delete an item?

I jsut visited my local WalMart today, absolutely NO rockets at all, I've seen the rest, and it doesn't make sense, toys with baby toys with hobby items. No reasoning with this reset.

I check all the paper "plan o grams" that were hung up, NO rockets lited and there was no toy department manager to ask.

I then went to the clearance aisle, absoulutely no rocket items at all.

I was originally told by the store manager, that they were not going to carry model rockets anymore.

1. Inorder for WM to have model rocket sales, you need product and a variety of product to sell. Not the same old two starter sets and the same A10-3T motors.

2. You need to place the itmes together, not the kits on the top or bottom shelf and the motors somewehere inbetween.

3. You need to offer a variety of motors, which would include B's and D's, they could sell a huge amout of D's if they were available.

4. WM need to have their toy department personnel with knowledge about the product, if you get a "bargain" at WM, you can't expect your local hobby shop to provide support if you didn't buy it there.

5. WM sets the rules on how they will buy your product and for how much, I mentioned the show about WM that aired on CNBC, that was an eye opender. Check it out, they repeat it quite often under CNBC "Business Nation".

6. I was told since this particular WM wasn't going to carry model rockets, you could go to two particular stores that did.

7. As I have mentioned before, the WM located on Highway 50, ten miles west of Estes carried the most model rockets that I had ever seen at any WM, now,it's down to practically nothing.

8. WM buyers need to select a different mix of kit, and, not only RTF's, the marketplace has become over saturated with the same old, sqame old, and unless they change their procduct mix, they aren't going to sell anything.

9. WM also needs to carry at least spare wadding, the amount of wadding in the motor flight packs is not going to support too many launches.

We have been on this subject over and over again, I think the bottom line is, if by all possible, support your local hobby shop, you get personal attemtion, they answer your questions and are willing to special order items for you, their valued consumers.

The problem, hobby stores are a dying breed, the local hobby shop that I dealt with for my rocketry supplies went out of business a number of years ago. And, this hobby shop was one of the first in New Jersey to carry model rockets.
Old 01-16-2008, 03:22 PM
7/21/61

Rocket Doctor,

Any idea what percentage of Estes rocket sales come from Walmart?
Old 01-16-2008, 03:40 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:

We have been on this subject over and over again, I think the bottom line is, if by all possible, support your local hobby shop, you get personal attemtion, they answer your questions and are willing to special order items for you, their valued consumers.

I'd support a local hobby shop; but the problem is of the 3 local shops; 1 has no rockets, 1 has about 2 TIE fighters, a couple kits of RTF junk, and a handfull of engines, and the other that does have a "decent" (and I use that term loosely) selection is grossly overpriced. $13.95 for a 3 pack of BT-55 tubes. (Long story, Barone ) As dollars do not to seem to go as far as they once did, I can not and will not support that kind of robbery.
The only readily available source for kits and engines are the local Hobby Lobby's, but there is not going to be a lot of "special attention" there. I went by the the local HL today at lunch and their kit selection is beginning to dwindle as well. Although, they did have quite a few packs of motors (at the new price points)

I've seen lots of good things posted here about SEMROC , and it sounds to me like they get the whole customer service concept. I've never ordered anything from them, but I suspect that will be changing as soon as I finish a couple of chores around the house.
Was once SAM#0132
Old 01-16-2008, 04:56 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadmug
I'd support a local hobby shop; but the problem is of the 3 local shops; 1 has no rockets, 1 has about 2 TIE fighters, a couple kits of RTF junk, and a handfull of engines, and the other that does have a "decent" (and I use that term loosely) selection is grossly overpriced. $13.95 for a 3 pack of BT-55 tubes. (Long story, Barone ) As dollars do not to seem to go as far as they once did, I can not and will not support that kind of robbery.
The only readily available source for kits and engines are the local Hobby Lobby's, but there is not going to be a lot of "special attention" there. I went by the the local HL today at lunch and their kit selection is beginning to dwindle as well. Although, they did have quite a few packs of motors (at the new price points)

I've seen lots of good things posted here about SEMROC , and it sounds to me like they get the whole customer service concept. I've never ordered anything from them, but I suspect that will be changing as soon as I finish a couple of chores around the house.

I would agree 100%, Semroc is the way to go. Made In The USA, quality kits and parts and superior customer service.

Carl, Cheryl and Bruce care about YOU, their valued customers, your not just a number at Semroc, but a "member" of the growing Semroc family.
www.semroc.com