Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2023, 11:44 AM
Dazed and Confused

I've built the X-Wing and Buck Rogers Starfighter. They are retired and on permanent display. I built the X-Wing with removable vertical fins so it looks great on display. If the BR Starfighter had been designed with something other than fiberboard for the engines, I would have done it the same way as well. However, it still looks good. The "real" Starfighter now looks funny to me because it's shorter and doesn't have the vertical stabs. Kinda like the real Saturn 1B and Saturn V look odd to me without the oversized fins after looking at my Centuri models for decades.

I have multiple original 1978 vintage production run kits for R2-D2, Tie Fighter and Maxi X-Wing. I also have the Buck Rogers Draconian Fighter and Space 1999 Eagle Transporter kits, and Star Trek Enterprise. I may have some other stuff that I've forgotten about.

I've been meaning to build one of the R2-D2 kits for a while, but I promised myself no new builds until I finish some builds that I abandoned a few years ago. They are at the finishing point and have lots of sanding and/or masking involved. I don't know when the mood will finally hit to dig back into them.
Old 02-15-2023, 11:58 AM
Sometimes collector

I have an xwing and Maxi Xwing in primer (for 40 years) Can you post pics of how you did the xwing removable fins?
Old 02-16-2023, 01:32 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5x7
I have an xwing and Maxi Xwing in primer (for 40 years) Can you post pics of how you did the xwing removable fins?

I don't have the fins anymore for a pic. I glued the fins to dowels and used rubber erasers on the dowels, trimmed to friction fit inside the afterburners. I was a kid and that's what I had available. It could be done with BT-5's split and made smaller, then friction fit with tape like a motor. That would make it lighter, but in all honesty, it flew fine with tail weight of the wooden dowels.

I flew it a couple times and always got the chute tangled in the laser cannons to some extent. I retired it because I expected a complete chute fouling and rapid disassembly would come sooner rather than later.
Old 02-16-2023, 04:13 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Do any of those vipers run 3 engines?
Old 02-16-2023, 04:22 PM
Sometimes collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
I don't have the fins anymore for a pic. I glued the fins to dowels and used rubber erasers on the dowels, trimmed to friction fit inside the afterburners. I was a kid and that's what I had available. It could be done with BT-5's split and made smaller, then friction fit with tape like a motor. That would make it lighter, but in all honesty, it flew fine with tail weight of the wooden dowels.

I flew it a couple times and always got the chute tangled in the laser cannons to some extent. I retired it because I expected a complete chute
fouling and rapid disassembly would come sooner rather than later.

Thanks! One of the fins is broken off the Maxi and they were never installed on the small version so both are asking for the upgrade. It is gratifying to know they are still stable with the extra weight.
Old 02-17-2023, 07:32 AM
When In Doubt, Build Hell-For-Stout

Default Scratch Build Colonial Viper

This one is on my Build Pile. A scratch build made mostly out of pine, with rear eject chute. Powered by triple 24mm BP motors.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  2023-01-10 Open Rocket Simulation Viper MK2 - Finished.png
Views: 16
Size:  264.6 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Viper BT-60 Dwg Sht 1 of 3 Rev 00.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  110.7 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Viper BT-60 Dwg Sht 2 of 3 Rev 00.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  108.0 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Viper BT-60 Dwg Sht 3 of 3 Rev 00.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  160.2 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Viper BT-60 1.JPG
Views: 19
Size:  37.9 KB  
Old 02-18-2023, 09:58 AM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Stupid question:
What is the purpose of the linear engine mount instead of having the motors in the Vipers triangular cluster?
Old 02-23-2023, 06:11 PM
The Alpha Kid

I've got a Thunderbird One on the bench right now that I need to get finished up and I did a Fireball XL5 a few years back. My next sci-fi model will be something from the Dan Dare series.

https://forums.rocketshoppe.com/sho...hlight=fireball