Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2023, 02:36 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tramper Al
Thank you Earl, these are great and I don't think I have seen them anywhere!

For the Marauder and Micro Probe, do you know if these came with the individual kits? Are do they come off of the "roll pattern" decal sets sold seperately?

I know you know the Centuri catalogs well, and I just find it interested that in 1963 nearly all the kits had checkerboards and then suddenly by 1965 is was 90% roll patterns!

These individual decals came IN the kits. It seems Centuri really did focus on those roll patterns for their kits. But, as noted, they did them only for the three tube sizes. I've never seen a roll pattern included in a kit that was larger than ST-10.

Earl

ADD: But I believe all the roll patterns that came IN the kits were off those roll pattern 'collection' sheets sold separately. And it is my impression that the given roll pattern included in a kit (for that given tube size) might vary from kit to kit. In other others, the ST-7 roll pattern decal design in one Micro Probe might be different than the roll pattern design in another Micro Probe kit. And the same for other ST-8 and ST-10 kits that had roll pattern decals.
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970

Last edited by Earl : 03-15-2023 at 02:57 PM.
Old 03-15-2023, 04:04 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
These individual decals came IN the kits. It seems Centuri really did focus on those roll patterns for their kits. But, as noted, they did them only for the three tube sizes. I've never seen a roll pattern included in a kit that was larger than ST-10.

Earl

ADD: But I believe all the roll patterns that came IN the kits were off those roll pattern 'collection' sheets sold separately. And it is my impression that the given roll pattern included in a kit (for that given tube size) might vary from kit to kit. In other others, the ST-7 roll pattern decal design in one Micro Probe might be different than the roll pattern design in another Micro Probe kit. And the same for other ST-8 and ST-10 kits that had roll pattern decals.

Thank you for those details. I believe I do see the same Marauder decal included in a "roil pattern" accessory decal sold in the 1965 catalog on page 40, "New Centuri roll patterns". I can't read the text well in my pdf copy but I think I see "for 1.00 body tube" and available in red and black.
Old 03-15-2023, 05:03 PM
Apollo Nut

The only examples that come to mind of roll patterns in kits larger than ST-10 would be the decal sheet for the Laser-X which had a roll pattern (amongst all the other decals on the kit sheet) for the main ST-13 body tube; and the roll pattern on the decal sheet for the ST-16 sized Egg Crate kit (the 1971 catalog only kit, not the later Enerjet Egg Crate kit).

Laser-X decals here on Jimz site:

http://www.spacemodeling.org/jimz/kc-50.htm

And that Laser-X decal sheet also has a small roll pattern for the upper ST-5 tube. That would be the only ST-5 roll pattern decal I think they did.

Might be worth perusing the various files there on Jimz site and the plans here on YORF as there may be other variations of roll pattern decals.

ALSO …check the eRockets site as they have some of the Semroc Centuri kit repro decals one can purchase. Here is a link to the Semroc repro decal for the Centuri Arcon which was ST-10 based. Looks like a dead ringer for one of the original Centuri ST-10 roll pattern decals:

Link: https://www.erockets.biz/semroc-dec...-hi-sem-dkv-15/

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Old 03-15-2023, 05:53 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
The only examples that come to mind of roll patterns in kits larger than ST-10 would be the decal sheet for the Laser-X which had a roll pattern (amongst all the other decals on the kit sheet) for the main ST-13 body tube; and the roll pattern on the decal sheet for the ST-16 sized Egg Crate kit (the 1971 catalog only kit, not the later Enerjet Egg Crate kit).

Laser-X decals here on Jimz site:

http://www.spacemodeling.org/jimz/kc-50.htm

And that Laser-X decal sheet also has a small roll pattern for the upper ST-5 tube. That would be the only ST-5 roll pattern decal I think they did.

Might be worth perusing the various files there on Jimz site and the plans here on YORF as there may be other variations of roll pattern decals.

ALSO …check the eRockets site as they have some of the Semroc Centuri kit repro decals one can purchase. Here is a link to the Semroc repro decal for the Centuri Arcon which was ST-10 based. Looks like a dead ringer for one of the original Centuri ST-10 roll pattern decals:

Link: https://www.erockets.biz/semroc-dec...-hi-sem-dkv-15/

Earl

That's a good reminder (eRockets), thanks.

I believe the large rocket program, second half of catalogs roughly I think 1965-1969, featured roll patterns too.
Old 03-15-2023, 06:14 PM
Apollo Nut

They did, but none I have seen that were purpose-made for those larger tube sizes; they were pieced together from the ST-10 roll patterns. The catalog art, in the case of those kits, was just that: catalog ‘art’ (but nice art; I always thought Centuri did a great job with their catalog renderings).

Now, Semroc made some roll pattern decals specifically designed for their Centuri Large Scale kit reproductions, but I have never seen a vintage Centuri original Large Scale (Mini Max) kit that had a custom-designed roll pattern decal to fit the large scale body tubes.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Old 03-15-2023, 07:06 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

A roll pattern was included in the Mini-Max Explorer (Semroc SLS) kit and that uses LT tubing far larger than ST-10

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 03-15-2023, 07:10 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
A roll pattern was included in the Mini-Max Explorer (Semroc SLS) kit and that uses LT tubing far larger than ST-10

That’s essentially what I was saying in my post above: *Centuri* never included specifically sized decals in their original SLS (Mini Max) kits, but *Semroc* DID design special decals for their SLS repros of the Centuri kits. See second paragraph of Post #15 above.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Old 03-16-2023, 09:30 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

OOPS.
Did not see that before I posted.
Possibly posting at same time ?

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !