Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-15-2023, 03:54 PM
Craftsman

Default Estes Engine Holder and the Sky Bird?

In my effort to understand why every model in the 1963 Estes catalog is (in contrast to 1963 Centuri) completely naked and without decals or decoration of any kind, I have been reading that catalog carefully.

There is a blurb on the Estes Engine Holder (a hook with gauze reinforcement) for minimum diameter rockets in the parts pages. I built a hook like that into my 1963 Astron Scout and I suppose it is the precursor for later engine hooks (a la 1965 Alpha).

But the interesting part (for me) is this: "By running forward instead of rearward from the rocket engine, it can also be used as a substitute for the engine block in removable fin rockets such as the Sky Bird." Wait, what? What is a removal fin rocket, and what is a Sky Bird?

Googling leads me to Sky Bird II (Estes eirp 02 link below) which seems to have 1) an engine hook, and 2) something called break-up recovery. I am reading the 1 page plans now and I see a shock cord but no parachute, and have not worked out the removable fins. Clearly I still have much to learn when it comes to early model rocket history.

Sky Bird II (eirp)