Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Scale & Sport Scale Rocketry
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2023, 02:03 PM
Craftsman

Default IQSY Tomahawk bolt heads?

I've been rabbit-holing scale info for the IQSY Tomahawk for a bit. I haven't been able to find a spec of what the bolt heads were on the real rocket.

Michielson (sp?) represents them as socket head screws.

The Stine drawing, at the resolution I can find it, looks like just dots on the NC and telemetry section, likely flat heads. But he represents the fin plate bolts as rounded, like button-head, and they appear to have straight slots in them, as far as I can see anything.

I haven't found anyone else doing much more than blobs or dots.

I'd love to find out what style and size of fastener was actually used so I could OCD and represent them as well as possible.
Old 02-16-2023, 02:10 PM
Apollo Nut

There was a "Nike-Tomahawk" super-scale article in the NAR mag (I think it was still called the Model Rocketeer at the time) in like late Summer 1983 that had a great deal of detail on both the Nike booster and the Tomahawk. Not sure what the differences might be between that Tomahawk and the IQSY Tomahawk, but the data might still be helpful.

I have that mag, but it is buried somewhere and I'd play heck trying to find it. Anyone else have it?

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 02-16-2023, 03:07 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
There was a "Nike-Tomahawk" super-scale article in the NAR mag (I think it was still called the Model Rocketeer at the time) in like late Summer 1983 that had a great deal of detail on both the Nike booster and the Tomahawk. Not sure what the differences might be between that Tomahawk and the IQSY Tomahawk, but the data might still be helpful.

I have that mag, but it is buried somewhere and I'd play heck trying to find it. Anyone else have it?

Earl

It's the May 1983 issue and is available on the NAR website in the magazine archives here: https://www.nar.org/members/magazin...eteer-magazine/

One does need to be an NAR member and have set up a logon to nar.org to get to it, though.

There are details on the drawings about the types and numbers of screws in various places, though I didn't see sizes called out in my quick skim.

There are three references cited in the article. One is an earlier issue of the Model Rocketeer, one is "Principal Booster and Sounding Rockets Used by the Goddard Space Flight Center" from NASA, listed as "undated".
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 02-16-2023, 04:25 PM
Craftsman

Thanks, Bernard.

I did manage to find a copy of that article elsewhere, as well as another thread on this site where @Ez2cDave states with basis I find credible that many of the details in that and other publicly available resources are inaccurate.

https://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=17585

In any case, it's not clear that the Nike-Tomahawk is a good basis for details of the IQSY Tomahawk. The fins are quite different, the reinforcements at the rear of the motor are different, and the nose cone is a 3:1 rather than 5:1 ogive.

Also found the NARTS scale CD with IQSY info, which I guess I could shell out for if I really want to OCD the bolt heads to make a $33 rocket kit infinitesimally cooler.

https://blastzone.org/nar/narts/sto...=92400111757284
Old 02-16-2023, 10:31 PM
Retired Missile Technician

I was instrumental in developing the NARTS IQSY Tomahawk drawings as I had obtained blueprints from Thiokol in 1969. However, the blueprints were loaned out years ago for a project to "accurize" the plans and were never returned.
I have faded photocopies of the parts of the blueprints that are hard to read. All of the screws were 1/4" drive either button or flat head. I do have one photocopy that I used to submit data for scale judging that I had typed the following:

"This photocopy is part of Thiokol Chemical Corp. drawing R-00198 and is slightly reduced from the 1/2 scale blueprints.

The round head screws on the fin supports and the forward and trailing edges of the fin shroud are 7/16" dia. 1/4" socket drive button head screws. The flat head screws are 1/2" dia. 1/4" socket drive. Measurement of screw diameter wsa made by direct measurement of Thiokol drawing R-00159 in 1/1 scale."

As a side note, I have a photocopy from Aviation Week magazine of a Thiokol ad showing technicians installing the nose cone on a black Tomahawk with a white (?) fin shroud. I can't read the white lettering by the fins, but at the top it looks like "Astro-Met IQSY Tomahawk - 1" in white lettering. I seem to recall that this first flight failed due to fin issues.

I hope that this helps some.

Chas
Old 02-16-2023, 11:29 PM
Craftsman

Thank you so much! That's perfect. I can work at least to my satisfaction with that.

One more question, do you know how thick the fin plate/bracket material was? The Stine drawing has enough in it to get the screws reasonably positioned, but I can't find anything to say or even suggest how thick the brackets were.

I think I've settled on BTH-70, as the wall is 0.035 and should be able to take a little motor without being too heavy. OD is 2.25 once it's painted, making it exactly 1/4 scale. Just seems clean and neat, will probably keep some math simple. Like 1/8 stock is the correct thickness for fins.
Old 02-17-2023, 10:58 AM
Retired Missile Technician

I wish that I had the blueprints on hand. However, from the scale data dimension sheet that I submitted with the model for judging, I have:

Fin Mount Height: 1.00"
Fin Mount Length: 10.40" (Same as the Fin Shroud length)

The Fin thickness is listed at 0.50" and I show the combined width of the fin and the two opposing fin mounts as 0.950", implying that each fin mount strip was 0.225" thick.

Chas
Old 02-17-2023, 12:27 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas Russell
The Fin thickness is listed at 0.50" and I show the combined width of the fin and the two opposing fin mounts as 0.950", implying that each fin mount strip was 0.225" thick.

Chas

I had missed that detail on the Stine drawing. I was looking for something in the 1/4 inch range or smaller, and I guess the .950 didn't register as being relevant. Thanks for pointing it out!
Old 02-17-2023, 07:50 PM
Banned

IQSY TOMAHAWK . . .

NOTE :

These images are of a Nike-Tomahawk ( Same fin can as Sandia Tomahawk ) . . . These fins are adjustable, UNLIKE the ones used on the IQSY TOMAHAWK.

HOWEVER, since the THIOKOL TE-416 TOMAHAWK motor is common to BOTH the IQSY TOMAHAWK and the SANDIA TOMAHAWK / NIKE-TOMAHAWK, the attachment points for the various fin cans remains constant.

This means that it is likely that the IQSY TOMAHAWK used the same "mounting hardware" ( Bolts, Washers, etc . ) , as the others.

Dave F.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  w-66-271.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  1.14 MB  Click image for larger version

Name:  w-66-275_cropB.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  466.8 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  w-66-271_crop.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  403.1 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  ec3f.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  44.2 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  tomahawkplan-a.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  669.6 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  KC40-5.gif
Views: 17
Size:  67.9 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  KC40-6.gif
Views: 16
Size:  54.4 KB  
Old 02-18-2023, 07:13 PM
Craftsman

Would hammer the like buttons in this thread if I could find them on this site.