Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Vendors
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2009, 07:31 AM
Master Modeler

Default Vendor support

Since there has been a fair share of ugliness about a vendor in another thread, I thought I'd start one where I mention the support I've received over the years. I'm sure I'll overlook some vendors who deserve to be mentioned but I won't do so intentionally. I will skip Sheri's Hot Rockets because I've said my piece in that other thread. Some of the vendors I've purchased from are:

Semroc
What can I say about all the people at Semroc? Saying that they are the best of the best doesn't do them justice. High quality products, high quality support, and the nicest people you could ever meet. They are, hands down, the best model rocketry company there is.

FlisKits
Jim is another of the crown jewels of the model rocketry world. He produces high quality, innovative kits and supports them well. He also supports the hobby generously through donations to various events. NSL 2007 was much better due to his involvement and sponsorship.

Aerotech
When I first got into reloadable motors I was a bit confused by some of the assembly instructions. I called Aerotech and was connected to Gary - he walked me through the assembly of the motor over the phone. Later, I found that the instructions were clarified to make the assembly steps more clear but Gary's willingness to help me out was great. Again, great products, great support.

LOC Precision
For many of my larger kits I get my parts from LOC. They have always delivered what I need quickly.

Pemberton Technologies
Very cool, retro designs. Very good support.

RoachWerks
Some of the finest, albeit limited production, scale kits I have ever seen. Wonderful stuff and, again, great support.

Advance Rocketry Group
One of the first vendors I purchased from when I got back into the hobby. Very easy to deal with even though they were shipping from Canada and dealing with those issues. First rate.

Feel free to add your comments about the vendors that you deal with.

Mario
Old 11-06-2009, 07:37 AM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Good post, Mario. Thanks.
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 11-06-2009, 07:47 AM
young man but an old hand

Send a message via MSN to AFlyingMonkey

Aerotech has been one of the best companies I've dealt with in a long time. I had a D21-4 CATO on my Money to Burn rocket, shredding the engine mount. After taking pictures of the event and emailing them to the customer support over at Value Rocketry, I got another FULL PACK of D21-4s. I could understand sending another single engine, but a FULL PACK? I was thoroughly impressed. I WILL be ordering from them again very very soon.

Too late, I'm here......

Last edited by AFlyingMonkey : 11-06-2009 at 02:35 PM.
Old 11-06-2009, 07:54 AM
BAR

Ditto Mario's post, and I'll add the following ....

PML
Bought parts from them mostly, but always received great products and service.

Giant Leap Rocketry
Ordered from them many times, never an issue, always great service.

RoachWerks
Mario mentioned Gordon already, but I can't praise him enough ... fantastic scale kits and great service. I can't imagine going anywhere else for a custom part ...

Apogee Components
Many orders, great service, never a problem. I don't think the hobby would be the same without RockSim.

Great thread, Mario. Thanks for posting.
Old 11-06-2009, 08:00 AM
Dazed and Confused

Let's not forget the rocketry community as a whole, who buy and sell rocketry items via the forum PM's on a one-to-one basis, eBay, YORF auctions, etc. We almost never hear of anyone getting the shaft, even though there are hundreds of transactions per day. These good folks are way too great in numbers to name off individually, but they are a big chunk of our hobby.
Old 11-06-2009, 08:03 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsotr
Apogee Components
Many orders, great service, never a problem. I don't think the hobby would be the same without RockSim.

-Slaps forehead-
I knew I'd forget a few great vendors...

Apogee Components
Tim and Co. have provided excellent support and some extraordinary products to the rocketry hobby for many years. I love the Saturn V kit that I built for my book. Tim was very supportive during this build.

Sirius Rocketry
Another great vendor that I forgot to mention the first time around. Their Saturn V kit was the subject of a LAUNCH Magazine build article I wrote. It's another great scale kit. Their other models are very eye-catching designs. Truly great support.

Mario

Last edited by mperdue : 11-06-2009 at 08:20 AM.
Old 11-06-2009, 08:14 AM
BAR

I forgot one too .... obviously, I'm getting old. Yikes!

Dr Zooch
Unique kits and great service. Nuff said.

And then there's Sheri. I bought two kits directly from her and another from a third party via eBay. Her service was slower than most (on the order of weeks), but I knew that in advance, fully expected it, and had no problem waiting. Never had a problem contacting her. I have every intention of buying from her again -- her Merc-Atlas and Gemini have unique parts and are just way cool -- but I'll probably wait a bit until things have settled down for her.

Just my 2 cents. Final I hope. Unless I think of someone else I've forgotten.
Old 11-06-2009, 08:19 AM
Dazed and Confused

I usually scratch build, so I don't buy a lot of kits from vendors. However, I get building supplies, tools, etc. from (alphabetically):

AC Supply (motors)
Balsa Machining Service (tubes, balsa)
Balsa USA (been a while on this one, aircraft ply, balsa, adhesives)
Micro Mark (tools, decal paper)
Microscale (Liquid Decal Film, Micro-Sol, Micro-Set)
SEMROC (a little of everything...ok a lot!)
Tower Hobbies (tools, motors, balsa, adhesives, R/C stuff, misc. stuff)

...and a few others that I'll think of after I walk away from the computer. All have given absolutely 100% top notch service and quality products.
Old 11-06-2009, 08:45 AM
Administrator

I'd like to give kudos for some local vendors.

Miller Motor Works - Scott Miller is an amazing resource not just for the products he carries and sells at our launches (CTI, Loki, Road Runner, SkyRipper, etc). He is the go to person if you have any question or problem that is motor related. He selfishly volunteers his time at launches to make sure everyone has a safe and successful flight.

Red Arrow Hobbies - Dave McViegh attends nearly all our launches providing Estes, Quest, and Aerotech motors. Dave also sells kits and makes custom parts and is a pleasure doing business with. He also makes some awesome beer!

Impulse Buys - Jay Calvert is another on-site vendor selling Aerotech, CTI, Roadrunner, etc and always great to deal with.

BoosterVision - Art Upton has a variety of video payload systems and is always helpful with problems at launches

I totally agree with the majority of other vendors mentioned so far that I've had dealings with. I honestly can't think of a bad vendor.
Old 11-06-2009, 08:47 AM
Old BAR

Q-Modeling:
Tom has a wonderful line upscale rockets. He was one of the first vendors I used when I got 'born again.' While he does not have a ton of offerings, his kits and customer service are first rate.
Red Arrow Hobbies:
Just a great selection and fabulous service.
Uncle Mike's Rocket Shack:
Wonderful selection and super service, as above. Quite involved in the hobby to all our benefit.
Launchpad 2000 (did I write that right?):
That gentleman is about as nice a guy this hobby could produce!
Rocket Doctor:
Now I know he not a 'vendor,' but his information and background knowledge should be worth a fortune. Again, a fantastic fellow in person, as well!
Sandman and Roachwerks and Excelsior:
Absolutely the best! Wish I could patent him and his love for the hobby!

I know there are several more, but my brain is kind a fried today; long week and up at 0300 every day.

Ditto what the rest have already posted x a bunch!

The info I have garnered here, also, is unparalleled. I continue to be surprised and astounded at the fantastic info. I can get from you folks.
Thanks to you all!!!!
Allen