Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2022, 08:51 PM
Religion Free thank you!

Oh I see scale... Well the Nike-Ajax is sort of scale.
And the Redtop is based on a scale missile.

But I thought you just wanted to know if anyone was building, or just talking.

Kim's Rocketeer. God I miss you honey!
Old 09-14-2022, 09:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Brohm
Thanks for the generous words, guys.

The Super Chief was an enjoyable model to engineer and build, and its size provided some scope for detailing that's harder to realize at smaller scale factors. In the aft end photo, looking closely, one can see the "motor retainer" on the table, partially obscured by the lower fin on the left. That "retainer" is basically a tube that captures the booster motor, and screws into a mating retainer cap tucked up just in front of the engine bell. It allowed me to model and include the engine bell feature and the other aft end details. The flight photo shows that it all worked out ok.

While the up part was great, the coming down part was not so much. The all balsa nose (turned by Gordon, who did a great job on that big 3" nose) challenged a rock on landing, but lost the fight. Plus some other landing damage elsewhere. Hence the thing coming up in the rebuild queue.

I'd like to write a build article for the new model, but the scale data I would normally include will be seriously scaled back in this particular case due to ITAR restrictions. Somehow, after all this time (~ 50 years or so), our Government still considers certain parts of the prototype to be sensitive data. And my wife tells me I look lousy in Orange Pajamas. So most likely we'll just concentrate on construction features when I get around to documenting the build.

Anyway, I think this is a terrific thread that MarkB has going, and I hope we'll see some additional build contributions. Always intriguing to see how folks tackle their build problems and construction challenges, although I daresay Lee has few, judging by the quality of his builds!

John,

Any chance of getting some dimensions for the lower Payload section ( and the adapter below it ) , even if the data consists of drawings generated by you, as opposed to original Aerojet data.

Dave F.
Old 09-15-2022, 04:16 PM
Religion Free thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Brohm
I'm also gearing up to revisit my Super Chief. I wasn't able to fully complete that model and it subsequently took a beating during its flight. So I'd like to do a 2.0 and maybe actually finish it this time. Lots to do there.

John great work!!!! Hey I have the Rocketarium Super Chief kit. I can not find much of any (one small blurry color photo) details on the net to help me detail it. For fun, not for competition.

Any place you can point me with better scale details?
Thank you! Nice work!

Kim's Rocketeer. God I miss you honey!
Old 09-15-2022, 08:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdjsky01
John great work!!!! Hey I have the Rocketarium Super Chief kit. I can not find much of any (one small blurry color photo) details on the net to help me detail it. For fun, not for competition.

Any place you can point me with better scale details?
Thank you! Nice work!

A few pics . . .

Dave F.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  005 - 8 X 10 - ADJ.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  1.75 MB  Click image for larger version

Name:  006 - 8 X 10 - ADJ - 150 dpi.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  987.1 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  HyCAUSE_2 - 2.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  476.3 KB  
Old 09-17-2022, 09:21 AM
Surfrajettes Fan

So, some action shots:

First picture shows my two concurrent projects right now: the BBR Javelin from the first post and a 2650.

The Javelin assembly will be complete this weekend, I've added card stock wraps and will add more cardstock and thin cardboard detail after the fins are all glued on. This weekend, all fins will be airfoiled and attached at the same time the motor mount is added so all of the glue dries together. It's all lite-ply and paper so everything is put together with Titebond II.

The 2650 was a long-term project to use some 29mm tubing that were crush damaged in transit. As you know, repairing bent tubes usually leaves them weakened. Having no other use for the bent portions, I straightened and patched the tubes as best I could using super glue and yellow glued them to each other with the repaired areas rotated out of sight. It came out strong; I am not the least bit worried about failure under load. The glued tubes and the upper tubing have been sitting around a while (years).

What got the program working was I spoke with Jim Bassham at BBR Rocket about laser cutting some ply bulkheads as I just could not stuff glue soaked tissue to seal off the three tubes where they joined the parachute section. My OCD would not permit such untidiness no matter how authentic it was. In any event, Jim cut some rings for me, the catch was they were sized to match up with the outside of the tube. This was fine, but after fiddling with them, I decided to sand them so that they would be internal rings.

The second picture shows the sanded ring. You may note that it is not round. The three tubes deform the BT-80 into a slightly triangular shape and with some careful sanding I was able to get a snug fit.

I cut fins for this years ago. If I can find them, they'll go on this weekend. There remain some engineering problems like how to add an engine retainer and where does the Kevlar attach? But now that I have these rings on, I'm looking forward to finishing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  jav2650.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  849.5 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  2650a.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  655.5 KB  

Awaiting First Launch: Too numerous to count
Finishing: Zooch Saturn V; Alway/Nau BioArcas; Estes Expedition; TLP Standard
Repair/Rescue: Cherokee-D (2); Centuri Nike-Smoke; MX-774
On the Bench: 2650;