Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Current Kit Talk
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2009, 08:04 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Default Quest Q2G2 igniters

has anyone used the new igniters?

i used them and they went of when i was arming the launch system.
i was using an estes controller
does anyone know how much electricity is needed to set these off?
how much electricity passes through the light bulb in a estes controller?
is there a way to lessen this?
thanks
Old 01-15-2009, 08:57 PM
When Pigs Fly!

Default New Quest igniter

I have some, but haven't used them yet.
On the Quest website they are pretty direct about their use with their system.

From the website:
DESIGNED FOR USE WITH THE QUEST 9V LAUNCH CONTROLLER - Please note that since they are very low current igniters (120ma fire current), some model rocket launch controllers can set them off during continuity tests. Be sure to test your model rocket launch controller, by connecting an igniter to your controller before inserting it into the model rocket engine (motor) to make sure it does not prematurely activate when you insert your safety key and/or when you perform a continuity check.

Hans Chris Michielssen
www.howtobuildmodelrockets.20m.com

www.oddlrockets.com
www.modelrocketbuilding.blogspot.com
http://www.nar.org/educational-reso...ing-techniques/
Your results may vary
"Nose cones roll, be careful with that."
Every spaceman needs a ray gun.
Look out - I'm the Meister Shyster!
Old 01-15-2009, 09:00 PM
Craftsman

I tested these recently and posted the results on rocketry planet.

To summarize, all six ignitors fired at less than 330 milliamps.

280 millamps was the lowest current measured to fire any of the ignitors.

I just measured my Estes controller and 185 milliamps were delivered to my ammeter.

A couple of thoughts:

I have personally had a Q2G2 fire from a continuity tester (current unknown).

Estes controllers almost certainly vary in the amount of continuity current they deliver.

I don't know how consistant Q2G2 are in the amount of current it takes to ignite them. I only tested 6 and they were probably from the same lot as they were packaged together.

Someone rightly pointed out that my test method was not the ideal way to find an average ignition current. In my defense, MANY more ignitors would be needed to do it properly and I was funding the test.

It is possible that the test method I used led some ignitors to fire at a higher current than they would have if I used the "right" current for the first test.

It is possible to lessen the continuity test current delivered by an estes controller. One "easy" method would be to replace the lamp with an led in series with a 240 ohm resistor.
Old 01-15-2009, 09:05 PM
Master Modeler

Based on what the Quest website says about these new igniters, and the reports I've read
on Rocketry Planet, I think I'm going to stick with the standard Quest Q2 igniters for my clustered models.....
Old 01-15-2009, 09:15 PM
Forest Sprite

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwmzmm
Based on what the Quest website says about these new igniters, and the reports I've read
on Rocketry Planet, I think I'm going to stick with the standard Quest Q2 igniters for my clustered models.....

Yes - it is important to note that Quest does continue to sell the older Q2 igniters. I am not sure if they are standard equipment with their newer whozis, though.

Mark \\.
Mark S. Kulka NAR #86134 L1,_ASTRE #471_Adirondack Mountains, NY
Opinions Unfettered by Logic • Advice Unsullied by Erudition • Rocketry Without Pity
+09281962-TAK-08272007+
SAM # 0011
Old 01-15-2009, 09:33 PM
Too Many Initiators is Never Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark II
Yes - it is important to note that Quest does continue to sell the older Q2 igniters. I am not sure if they are standard equipment with their newer whozis, though.

Mark \\.

The motor bulk packs I have purchased from Quest since last September came with the Q2G2 igniters.

I like these igniters. I have had 1 or 2 ignite on a continuity check but, so far, no misfires.

Bob
Old 01-15-2009, 10:09 PM
Master Modeler

I've always bought the Q2 igniters packaged alone, not with the Quest engines. The Q2's are
the "standards" I've been using for BP clustered ignition for some time now; no misfires (yet).
Old 01-15-2009, 11:41 PM
Junior Rocketeer

i did a bit of google-ing and found out that a estes launch controller uses a #51 pilot bulb for 6V and a #53 pilot bulb for 12V
it also mentions that the #51 has 30 ohm and the #53 has 120 ohm
if you switched out the #51 for the #53, would you be OK?
i'm no electrician

look at the chart on page 12

http://www.esteseducator.com/Pdf_files/1924_launch.pdf

P.S. i have no idea where you can get one of these!
Old 01-16-2009, 07:47 AM
Launching since 1970.

All the motor packs from Quest that include the new igniters that I have gotten include clear instructions warning you about use of other brands of controllers and the possibility that their continuity light current will fire the Q2G2 igniters.

I looked up recently old e-mail on this subject and our club president measured the current that our club panel with small computer console lamp delivered for continuity. It was 103ma and only a few of the Q2G2 igniters were observed to fire from this current - a fairly small percentage. Our new LED light delivers much less current. I will ask our electrical guru what he measured (probably by phone later today when I get a chance).

I'm not sure I remember hearing what the official "no-fire" current is, but it may be 50ma (this could be confirmed by contacting Quest). I have been told that "The all-fire current on the igniters is very low at 150ma - that's why you get 100% reliability... "

Old 01-16-2009, 07:52 AM
Mr. Dual Eggloft

Location: Illinois: where our Governors make our license plates.

The new Quest igniter is like a flashbulb or electric match igniter. If your launch system isn't "flashbulb safe", then it isn't safe for a Q2G2 igniter. IIRC the fire current can be as low as 120ma.

I thought I'd posted these numbers before. It's from a light bulb replacement chart I found on the web years ago:

# volts watts amps
-- ---- ----- ----
51 7.5 1.85 0.22 solar
53 14.4 1.73 0.12 electrolaunch
1156 12.8 26.88 2.10 tester

I wouldn't trust either of these bulbs with the new G2 igniter.

My personal launch systems have used piezo buzzers for years. In fact my current one doesn't even have a continuity check, the buzzer is always LIVE, so I can connect my clips by ear instead of by sight (you kids wait until you need bifocals for such tasks, and you'll understand). The Piezo buzzers draw 10-15ma, which is well below even the most sensitive igniter FIRE threshold. And with a buzzer you don't have the problem of seeing it in sunlight.

BTW, I've included the 1156 bulb because I use that as a launch system tester. Go to an auto parts store and buy a socket, stick the bulb in, and connect it up to your launch system. If you can get 2.1A to the bulb and light it up to a bright white, you should be able to fire most common igniters.