Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Current Kit Talk
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2009, 01:35 AM
Contest, Sport, it's all good......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solomoriah
I was afraid the LEDs wouldn't be bright enough, but they seem plenty bright in actual service.

What I like to use is a "clear" LED that lights up with a bright color. So if it is off if is clear, and if it is on, you see the color. I had too many aggravating times in sunlight trying to see if a translucent colored LED was "lit" by electricity (ON) or "lit" by sunlight hitting it but not on. So the clear bright LED works great.

I did not know for sure if our section's system was safe for these Quest Ignitors or not. In theory, yes. But I like proof. At our monthly BRB launch last Saturday, Roy Green showed up form Atlanta (a pleasant surprise), and he used a few of those ignitors for some of his rockets.

Nothing fired early, so the system seems to be safe for them.

Also, the system has each rack (and HPR Junction Box) with a buzzer and light when armed, to greatly reduce the chances anyone will ever be near or hooking up a model with the rack accidentally ARMED without anybody realizing it (especially those at the rack that is armed, or at the HPR area if its junction box is armed). So if the system had set off the Quest ignitors, it would at least not have happened until the panel was turned on with the rack armed in preparation for launch (people cleared away).

- George Gassaway

Last edited by georgegassaway : 03-25-2009 at 06:01 AM.
Old 03-24-2009, 10:06 PM
Master Modeler

I just converted one of my Estes Electron Beam controllers to LED indication Sunday so I could use it with both Estes and Quest igniters. I used a 10mm red "super bright" LED from Radio Shack that had a forward voltage rating of 2.4V. So, assuming 6V from the 4 AA cells, I needed to drop 3.6V across the resistor. 3.6V divided by 20 mA gives a resistor of 180 ohms (E=IR). What Radio Shack had was 150 ohm resistors, but since the LED was also rated for a maximum forward current of 40 mA I figured it would be OK.

After the conversion I measured 28 mA at the igniter clips with fresh Energizer AAs in the controller. I also measured my other Electron Beam that's had a couple of dozen launches on the batteries but has the incandescent bulb. That one gave 156 mA. So with a fire current rating of 120 mA on the Quest igniters, I can see how they go with just a continuity check on the ubiquitous Estes controller.

The LED I used is clear and very red when lit as George suggests just above. It too a little Dremel sanding drum work to get it neatly into the controller and now it looks like it was there all along.

I'm looking forward to using the modded controller next time I get a chance to launch. I'll probably also convert the other Electron Beam unit but I'll probably leave my vintage but still functional Estes Solar controller "stock".
Old 03-26-2009, 06:12 PM
Master Modeler

Default It works....(LED mod)

I used the modified Electron Beam to do five launches today, including one ignited with a Quest Q2G2. Works fine. And it's very easy to see whether the big red (but clear-bodied) LED is lit or not. I will proceed to mod my other Electron Beam soon.
Old 03-28-2009, 02:07 PM
rocket dinosaur

I've not used these igniters yet, but I do have and use the Quest launch controller. This question concerns use of these igniters and the Quest launch controller with clusters. anybody have any experience with this?

tia

terry dean
Old 03-28-2009, 02:41 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by shockwaveriderz
I've not used these igniters yet, but I do have and use the Quest launch controller. This question concerns use of these igniters and the Quest launch controller with clusters. anybody have any experience with this?

tia

terry dean

Only way to test this without risking any models is to static test on the ground first (assuming you don't mind expending two or more Q2G2 igniters at once).
Old 03-28-2009, 05:19 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by shockwaveriderz

tia

terry dean

You'd have to test as suggested. I don't know how much current a 9V alkalline battery can deliver and that, of course, is your limiting factor. I HAVE fired an Estes igniter successfully with the Quest controller, so it has the potential of delivering more than enough for a couple of Q2G2 igniters.
Old 04-17-2009, 06:18 PM
Master Modeler

Another interesting thing about the undipped versions: They sometimes survive the firing of a microMaxx motor. I've just gotten two launches each out of two of them. I used my converted Estes Electron Beam controller for these flights.
Old 04-17-2009, 07:13 PM
Forest Sprite

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC
Another interesting thing about the undipped versions: They sometimes survive the firing of a microMaxx motor. I've just gotten two launches each out of two of them. I used my converted Estes Electron Beam controller for these flights.
Funny that you should mention that. I was cleaning out my old starter kit box (from when I became a BAR in 2004) a couple of weeks ago, and I came across a bunch of Estes Solar igniters that had been fired, but still had the bridge wire intact. I remember saving a few at launches that had survived a firing, but I didn't realize that I had saved so many. I had at least a couple dozen of them. I do recall that a few years ago I regularly ignited engines with reused igniters - at least once or twice each time I took my rockets out to launch. I even fired three consecutive motors once with the same Solar igniter. I don't remember if it was the B6's or the A10's that were "easy" on the igniters. Back then, I was using my 6v Electron Beam controller for everything, too. Now I use a 12v system, and so that might be why my igniters only seem to be good for one use now.

MarkII
Mark S. Kulka NAR #86134 L1,_ASTRE #471_Adirondack Mountains, NY
Opinions Unfettered by Logic • Advice Unsullied by Erudition • Rocketry Without Pity
+09281962-TAK-08272007+
SAM # 0011
Old 04-18-2009, 04:03 AM
Trust me, it'll work!

I just fell better knowing I'm not the only one who had that happen!

Which reminds me, I need to order some Estes 'B' engines.
Old 04-19-2009, 02:02 PM
Mr. Dual Eggloft

Location: Illinois: where our Governors make our license plates.

At yesterday's FVR launch, we tried a Q2G2 igniter in an Aerotech composite motor. The leads are just barely long enough for the 18x70 or 24x70 motors. I had to untwist the leads most of the way so that I could get the igniter all the way up the motor slot, but it lit instantly.

I'm pretty sure that the Q2G2 head is too big for the nozzles for at least some of these motors, but if it fits, give it a try. I think we now have a cheap reliable LEUP free igniter at least for small composite motors, including air starts.

Bill, please put on the wish list making a 6" or even 12" lead Q2G2 igniter.