Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Kit Collecting
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2022, 09:39 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Angry Rare Find

Just bought today, an original FSI VIKING 1 kit, sealed in the original package, all parts intact.Been looking for these for at least three decades now.Question is, are parts available to do a 18 mm conversion and where might I find them?
Old 04-10-2022, 07:30 AM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skaffman
Just bought today, an original FSI VIKING 1 kit, sealed in the original package, all parts intact.Been looking for these for at least three decades now.Question is, are parts available to do a 18 mm conversion and where might I find them?

eRockets.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 04-10-2022, 09:52 AM
Master Blaster

It is very easy if you have any Estes BT 50 to BT 20 centering rings, just strip some of the outside of the BT 50 ring off until it fits in the 21mm FSI tube then build a 18mm engine mount and install. No need for special parts..
Old 04-10-2022, 10:14 AM
Junior Rocketeer

Default Viking 1

Thanks for giving me the tube diameter for the Viking Neil, this must be a very early version of the kit because there are no dimensions listed anywhere on the kit itself. But for the sake of it, if some of the lower power FSI motors should become available, what type of "starters" would you need for them? I've never seen the A, B C and D class FSI motors in action so I don't know anything about them.
Old 04-10-2022, 11:54 AM
Old Canuck Modeller

FSI engines were just black powder. Regular Estes starters work fine.
Old 04-10-2022, 02:25 PM
Master Modeler

That is indeed a rare find!

Was it the version with the hand-written instruction set?

I have at least one adaptor for putting 18mm motors in 21mm FSI mounts. Might be expensive to ship, but if you really want it, lemme know.

All FSI motors are super rare now. Especially the A4 /B4 / C4/ D4. I'd consider hanging on to any you find and selling them to a collector. Buy a bunch of Estes B4-2 to fly that Viking on!
NAR #27085 - Oregon Rocketry - SAM
Old 04-10-2022, 03:19 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanj

Was it the version with the hand-written insarounf truction set?

I have at least one adaptor for putting 18mm motors in 21mm FSI mounts. Might be expensive to ship, but if you really want it, lemme know.

All FSI motors are super rare now. Especially the A4 /B4 / C4/ D4. I'd consider hanging on to any you find and selling them from to a collector. Buy a bunch of Estes B4-2 to fly that Viking on!
Yes , I think it may be be the one with hand written instructions, I think it may date from around 1970. I haven't received it yet but the photo I saw clearly shows their original Colorado address, so this must be a first run original, and in that case it's exceedingly rare, I almost couldn't
believe when I saw it come up.And the price? I was completely shocked. Not gonna say how much it cost, but if I told you you'd never believe me.And to answer your question , yes I would definitely like to have that adapter, how much would want for it? Get back to me ASAP.
Old 04-11-2022, 09:27 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skaffman
Yes , I think it may be be the one with hand written instructions, I think it may date from around 1970. I haven't received it yet but the photo I saw clearly shows their original Colorado address, so this must be a first run original, and in that case it's exceedingly rare, I almost couldn't
believe when I saw it come up.And the price? I was completely shocked. Not gonna say how much it cost, but if I told you you'd never believe me.And to answer your question , yes I would definitely like to have that adapter, how much would want for it? Get back to me ASAP.

Cost of shipping. Honestly glad to get it a new home.

Let me think of how to pack it.
NAR #27085 - Oregon Rocketry - SAM
Old 04-11-2022, 11:42 AM
Junior Rocketeer

Default Conversion mount

Okay, that would be great. Do you have anything else I might be interested in?I'm looking for the oldest and rarest kits I can find, from around say, 1965 to 1975, from all the major manufacturers, with the emphasis on early Centuri and FSI kits.The Centuri Quasar is a prime example of the time frame I'm looking for.
Old 04-14-2022, 06:14 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanj

Was it the version with the hand-written instruction set?

All FSI motors are super rare now. Especially the A4 /B4 / C4/ D4. I'd consider hanging on to any you find and selling them to a collector. Buy a bunch of Estes B4-2 to fly that Viking on!
Hello again, I was wondering if you're going to be sending me that motor adapter kit.I'm expecting it tomorrow.