Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2023, 07:46 AM
Incorrigible Kit Basher

Yeah, the puzzle to me here is that the nose cone wasn't available as a parts item like, ever. It looks like a nice basic ogive for #16 tube; why wouldn't you sell it as a separate part?
Once upon a better day... SAM #0076
My site: http://rocketry.gonnerman.org
Old 05-10-2023, 05:35 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faithwalker
Hi Romie,
I have one of the Centuri KS-19 V-2 kits with the plastic nose cone. The Centuri KS-19 V-2 plastic nose cone is definitely different from the Centuri PNC-165 Quasar style plastic nose cone. See attached comparison photo for reference. The Centuri PNC-165 Quasar style plastic cone is on the left and the Centuri KS-19 V-2 plastic cone is on the right. There is a molded canopy on the Centuri PNC-165 Quasar style plastic nose cone, but there is no molded canopy on the Centuri KS-19 V-2 plastic nose cone. The V-2 plastic cone appears to be approximately 5 5/8" long above the shoulder. The shoulder is different also, as seen in the photo. The eyelet has been filed off of the V-2 plastic cone and a shock cord/shroud line attachment hole has been drilled in the conical base of the shoulder.

Even though the plastic nose cone was not mentioned in the original instructions to the Centuri KS-19 V-2 kit, https://www.spacemodeling.org/jimz/ks-19.htm, the plastic nose cone was intentionally added later to replace the balsa nose cone in the KS-19 V-2 kit by Centuri R&D to provide "more scale accuracy". There is an Addendum to the V-2 Instructions included regarding the plastic nose cone (image attached). Also, there is a Centuri Important Note Instruction Sheet Change IP-410, saying that the kit now comes with a plastic nose cone (image attached).

There is an additional piece of literature, R&D Form 5 survey card (IP-205), included in the KS-19 V-2 kit by Centuri R&D that dates the change from balsa to the plastic nose cone around Feb. '71 (image attached).

The description for the V-2 kit nose cone in the 1971 Centuri Catalog says, "Large precisely machined balsa nose cone...", http://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/ca...d/71dcen28.html. The Centuri KS-19 V-2 kit did not appear in the 1972 Centuri Catalog, so the timeframe of the plastic nose cone in the Centuri KS-19 V-2 kit would be from approximately February 1971 until the end of the year or until supplies of the kit were sold out.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,
Jeff Jenkins
aka: Faithwalker
NAR #46879 SR

Jeff-

Thanks for the details on your kit.

The V2 with plastic nose cone is about the only ‘balsa to plastic cone’ Centuri kit variation that I did not have. I won the eBay auction on the subject V2, so I’ll have that ‘hole’ filled. I have had the balsa cone version for quite a few years. Not sure if this latest particular eBay kit has all the paperwork details included that you covered/posted, so those posted items may help cover ‘the rest of the story’.

It is a mystery though as to why this unique plastic cone was never offered as a stand-alone item. And for that matter, why the V2 kit — one of the Super Scale line — and only introduced in 1969, was discontinued so soon.

Centuri introduced plastic cones sometime in the summer of 1970. They were first listed in the 1970 catalog which had an ‘effective’ date of August 15, 1970. They were ‘teased’ on the back cover ‘parts’ ad on Volume 4, No. 1 (Little Joe II rendering on the front cover) of Centuri’s American Rocketeer magazine, which was published in the Spring of 1970 or so, as a ‘Coming Soon’ item. However, some kit instruction sets like the T-Bird, Javelin, and maybe one or two more have 1969 copyright dates, BUT show plastic nosecones.

By early 1971, MANY Centuri kits were being switched to plastic cones. This would include many starter type kits, but also some very well-known kits that had just been introduced in that 1971 catalog were also switched to plastic. Accordingly, some had VERY short runs (a few months maybe) with balsa cones such as the Quasar, Space Shuttle, and Orion before going plastic. Finding those three kits in balsa cone variants can be a real challenge.

The V2 was a bit different in that, as mentioned above, it had been out for well more than a year by early 1971 with balsa nose and tail cones. However, unlike many of the other kits that made a switch to plastic nose cones, the V2 with plastic nose cone would not last long at all. Accordingly, the balsa cone variant is MUCH more prevalent than the plastic cone variant, rather than the other way around.

I’ll have to wait and see the specifics of the eBay V2 kit coming my way, but I am at a loss as to why your V2 plastic cone has its molded-in lug removed and a hole drilled for attaching the shock cord. The instruction addendum you posted makes specific mention of a lug to use for attaching the shock cord. So, why yours is gone is a bit of a mystery, unless it broke off at some point and the drilled hole was just a quick mod by the original owner to make up for that missing lug. Unless, you are the original owner and/or the kit was sealed when you received it and the cone came out of the bag with the lug gone?

I’ll post further details when my kit arrives.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970

Last edited by Earl : 05-10-2023 at 06:19 PM.
Old 05-10-2023, 08:04 PM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
The V2 with plastic nose cone is about the only ‘balsa to plastic cone’ Centuri kit variation that I did not have. I won the eBay auction on the subject V2, so I’ll have that ‘hole’ filled. I have had the balsa cone version for quite a few years. Not sure if this latest particular eBay kit has all the paperwork details included that you covered/posted, so those posted items may help cover ‘the rest of the story’.

Did you buy the incomplete Egg Crate as well?
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 05-10-2023, 09:43 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltvscout
Did you buy the incomplete Egg Crate as well?

I did. Only missing one Mylar slip-over lock ring for one of the metal engine locks…spare parts I have here got that covered no problem. Of course, if one went with a two engine cluster mount (instead of three) then one would not even need that ring. I have, however, one Egg Crate I built about 10 years ago and I did single, dual, AND triple removable mounts for it.

I have paid considerably more for this kit in the past, so this one comparably speaking was a bargain.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Old 05-11-2023, 01:20 AM
Craftsman

Quote:
Jeff-

Thanks for the details on your kit.

It is a mystery though as to why this unique plastic cone was never offered as a stand-alone item. And for that matter, why the V2 kit — one of the Super Scale line — and only introduced in 1969, was discontinued so soon.

Centuri introduced plastic cones sometime in the summer of 1970. They were first listed in the 1970 catalog which had an ‘effective’ date of August 15, 1970. They were ‘teased’ on the back cover ‘parts’ ad on Volume 4, No. 1 (Little Joe II rendering on the front cover) of Centuri’s American Rocketeer magazine, which was published in the Spring of 1970 or so, as a ‘Coming Soon’ item. However, some kit instruction sets like the T-Bird, Javelin, and maybe one or two more have 1969 copyright dates, BUT show plastic nosecones.

By early 1971, MANY Centuri kits were being switched to plastic cones. This would include many starter type kits, but also some very well-known kits that had just been introduced in that 1971 catalog were also switched to plastic. Accordingly, some had VERY short runs (a few months maybe) with balsa cones such as the Quasar, Space Shuttle, and Orion before going plastic. Finding those three kits in balsa cone variants can be a real challenge.

The V2 was a bit different in that, as mentioned above, it had been out for well more than a year by early 1971 with balsa nose and tail cones. However, unlike many of the other kits that made a switch to plastic nose cones, the V2 with plastic nose cone would not last long at all. Accordingly, the balsa cone variant is MUCH more prevalent than the plastic cone variant, rather than the other way around.

I’ll have to wait and see the specifics of the eBay V2 kit coming my way, but I am at a loss as to why your V2 plastic cone has its molded-in lug removed and a hole drilled for attaching the shock cord. The instruction addendum you posted makes specific mention of a lug to use for attaching the shock cord. So, why yours is gone is a bit of a mystery, unless it broke off at some point and the drilled hole was just a quick mod by the original owner to make up for that missing lug. Unless, you are the original owner and/or the kit was sealed when you received it and the cone came out of the bag with the lug gone?

I’ll post further details when my kit arrives.

Earl

Hi Earl,
You're very welcome. Glad you were able to win the eBay bid for the Centuri KS-19 V-2 with the plastic nose cone and fill the missing piece in your collection.

If you look closely at the photos attached here from the eBay auction you won for the Centuri KS-19 V-2 with the plastic nose cone, you will see that the external eyelet has been removed from that nose cone, as well, and a hole has been drilled adjacent to where the eyelet was in the conical portion of the nose cone base. It came this way from Centuri with these modifications. I believe the eyelet mentioned in the addendum is referring to the drilled hole. I would imagine that Centuri may have received some complaints about the external eyelet being too weak or breaking on occaision or being too tight for attaching shock cord and shroud lines, so I surmised that they made the decision to provide a more secure and enlarged mounting by eliminating the external eyelet and placing a mounting hole directly in the thicker material of the nose cone conical shoulder. Take a closer look and, I believe, you will see what I describe is true.

Kind regards,
Jeff Jenkins
NAR #46879 SR
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Centuri_KS-19_V-2_plastic_nose_cone1.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  223.5 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Centuri_KS-19_V-2_plastic_nose_cone2.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  224.9 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Centuri_KS-19_V-2_plastic_nose_cone3.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  158.2 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Centuri_KS-19_V-2_plastic_nose_cone4.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  286.1 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Centuri_KS-19_V-2_eBay_item_155535760065.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  255.1 KB  

Last edited by Faithwalker : 05-11-2023 at 01:38 AM.
Old 05-11-2023, 04:30 AM
Apollo Nut

Yeah, I can see it has been done the same way.

Hmmm…I wonder why the same kind of eyelet used in other plastic cones was apparently ok and strong enough, such as the eyelet on the other #16 cone used in the Quasar and later in a couple of the Centuri Super Kits (same cone used in your comparison photo with the V2 cone)? It is a bit of a mystery as to why that kind of eyelet worked fine on that cone — and the even larger, heavier plastic cone for the Nike Smoke — but apparently not on this V2 cone. Strange.

Well… another one of those kit part variation head scratchers that come up from time to time. One would suspect there IS a good reason for it, but on the surface of it all, I am just not sure what it would be.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Old 05-11-2023, 08:16 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

You got a good deal on that kit.
Many lousy kits are now going for over $100.
It's nice to see some good ones still going for around $100.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 05-11-2023, 08:27 AM
Incorrigible Kit Basher

Quote:
Hmmm…I wonder why the same kind of eyelet used in other plastic cones was apparently ok and strong enough, such as the eyelet on the other #16 cone used in the Quasar and later in a couple of the Centuri Super Kits (same cone used in your comparison photo with the V2 cone)? It is a bit of a mystery as to why that kind of eyelet worked fine on that cone — and the even larger, heavier plastic cone for the Nike Smoke — but apparently not on this V2 cone. Strange.

I don't KNOW but I can guess... and my guess answers your question and mine.

It's 1971. Nose cones have been balsa since time immemorial. Someone gets the idea to blow-mold some for Centuri, and they look good but as "alpha" designs they didn't make the eyelet beefy enough (or, due to molding issues it doesn't fill out completely in all cases, leaving gaps or weak spots).

Here are a bucket load of nose cones for the V-2 that can't be sold as is because they are inferior. So you quickly sand, grind, or cut off the eyelets and drill holes. Done right, the labor wouldn't even be that much. But you don't order any more, and you don't put them in the catalog as a separate part, and you don't even try for plastic cones again for a couple of years...

And as someone noted, early Centuri plastic cones either had no base or eyelet, or had it as a separate piece you glued into place. Because the first attempt at a one-piece design didn't work.

... as I said, a GUESS. But it's consistent with my real-world work experiences.
Once upon a better day... SAM #0076
My site: http://rocketry.gonnerman.org
Old 05-11-2023, 12:19 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solomoriah
I don't KNOW but I can guess... and my guess answers your question and mine.

It's 1971. Nose cones have been balsa since time immemorial. Someone gets the idea to blow-mold some for Centuri, and they look good but as "alpha" designs they didn't make the eyelet beefy enough (or, due to molding issues it doesn't fill out completely in all cases, leaving gaps or weak spots).

Here are a bucket load of nose cones for the V-2 that can't be sold as is because they are inferior. So you quickly sand, grind, or cut off the eyelets and drill holes. Done right, the labor wouldn't even be that much. But you don't order any more, and you don't put them in the catalog as a separate part, and you don't even try for plastic cones again for a couple of years...

And as someone noted, early Centuri plastic cones either had no base or eyelet, or had it as a separate piece you glued into place. Because the first attempt at a one-piece design didn't work.

... as I said, a GUESS. But it's consistent with my real-world work experiences.

Chris,
That sounds like a very good guess. Your guess about the part possibly being a bad batch with a defective eyelet is something I hadn't thought of, but it makes sense and could very well have happened as you suggest, especially if the external eyelet did not form properly. Centuri may have wanted to find a way to utilize the plastic nose cones to help benefit modelers, but, at the same time, not trash all the nose cones and not have the cost of producing them go down the drain, simply because of the eyelet, when there was a way to utilize or salvage them as they did. This may be a plausible explanation as to why Centuri did not make them available as an individual part for sale or continue their use after that limited run of KS-19 V-2 kits.

Kind regards,
Jeff Jenkins
NAR #46879 SR
Old 05-11-2023, 02:04 PM
Apollo Nut

That is certainly a plausible explanation. And it would explain why that nose cone never appeared separately AND why the V2 went away in such short order after that cone was introduced for it.

The only problem I have is that three other plastic cones with that same exact type eyelet were introduced at that same time: the new plastic nose cone for the Quasar (with molded-in canopy; Jeff posted a side by side photo of it earlier); the new one-piece Nike-Smoke nose cone (the prior Nike Smoke nose cone was a two piece styrene affair that the modeler had to glue together...kinda of tricky); and the new plastic nose cone for the Orion. ALL three of those cones -- in addition to the V2 cone -- had that same type eyelet.

Add to that, that at that time, Centuri had gone into an entire range of new plastic cones in a big way for its smaller tube sizes such as #7, #8, and #10 (which encompassed a GREAT many Centuri kits at that time), tells me that Centuri had spent a GREAT deal of effort and money on designing all these new cones (about 13-15 new plastic nose cone designs) and having the injection molds made. Out of all of those, if one had a problem such as a weak spot at the eyelet, it would seem that they might have done some decent amount of work to fix that issue and not just 'write it off' as a goofed up mold and deep six it then and there.

But who knows what efforts may have gone into trying to fix it (if that were the problem). Also, Centuri had sold to Damon in early 1971 and the Damon 'suits' may have been looking for cost cutting opportunities (they certainly found a number of them by Spring of '74 for sure when many Centuri items were moved to the chopping block).

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions