Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Scale & Sport Scale Rocketry
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2019, 02:16 PM
Semi-Pro Rocketeer TRA 10484 L2

How about a BT5+ from e-rockets?

It slides over the BT5 but is smaller than the ST6

BT-5 Body Tube 13mm 0.541 0.515 0.013 34 11

BT-5+ Body Tube Slips Over BT-5 0.585 0.559 0.013 34 12

ST-6 Centuri Standard Tube 0.650 0.610 0.020 18 8
=======================
Old 01-09-2020, 03:47 PM

Ok fellow rocketeers, not sure if I made a good ebay purchase or not? I should have looked at all the pictures because the later pictures show some real problems. Guess I will know more when I get the bird. It's the Centuri 1/45 Little Joe II for $62.00.

I might be able to just do away with the upper wrap if I can remove it without damaging the tube? Any ideas? I would then replace it with one of Accua8 wraps which I have two of.

I might have to gut the motor mount assembly to?

So please feel free and let me know how bad of a deal I made. Lol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Contents 3.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  237.9 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Right Side Box View.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  375.1 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Centuri LJ2 Box top.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  288.8 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Contents 9.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  224.8 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Contents 7.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  224.0 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Contents 6.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  212.7 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Contents 5.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  203.6 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Contents 4.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  210.0 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Contents 2.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  236.1 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Contents 1.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  285.5 KB  

=======================
Old 01-09-2020, 04:21 PM
Avid Builder

What is the problem with the motor mount?
I see some crinkles and misalignment with the white upper wrap.
Some of the fin and launch lug locations have been cut out on the mylar corrugation. Looks OK.
There is a wide open seam for the mylar corrugation but I think that is by design.
It will be covered by the main installation cover.
It's up to you if you want to replace the upper wrap with an Accur8 skin. That is what I did with the Estes version.
Just be aware that the adhesive on the Accur8 skins is very strong. Might be a good idea to use the "drop of soap in the water" technique when applying to give you time for adjustments.
Old 01-09-2020, 05:25 PM
Old Fart Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash
Ok fellow rocketeers, not sure if I made a good ebay purchase or not? I should have looked at all the pictures because the later pictures show some real problems. Guess I will know more when I get the bird. It's the Centuri 1/45 Little Joe II for $62.00.

I might be able to just do away with the upper wrap if I can remove it without damaging the tube? Any ideas? I would then replace it with one of Accua8 wraps which I have two of.

I might have to gut the motor mount assembly to?

So please feel free and let me know how bad of a deal I made. Lol

There are some wrinkles in the upper wrap. You might want to cut slits in the wrap to allow it to be smoothed out, then apply the Accur8 wrap over the existing one. I would not try to remove the older wrap unless it practically peels itself off of the tube.

Avid rocketeer since 1967.
NAR 13559 / L2
Old 01-09-2020, 05:27 PM
Apollo Nut

I’d say all-in-all, you got a good deal! These kits, even like this one, used to knock down $200-$300 easy. It’s a classic and the re-release of this kit, as modified by Estes, does not diminish the Centuri version, at least to me.

As Bargeezer says, yeah, there is some crinkling on he wraps in a few places. But, that can be kind of common all these years later. I have three of these unbuilt, and two of them show at least a little of this. Before you jump in and start trying to peel stuff off, I’d try to see if you can attempt to lay some of those wrinkles back down. And as Bargeezer also said, that open seam in the chrome wrap is normal. It will covered by one of the chrome Mylar strips during the finishing work.

And on the engine mount, what is the issue? Hard to see from the photos. Has the stuffer tube with centering wrings been installed permanently? Looks like the cluster mount does not have the engine hooks installed yet. Hard to tell if that is even totally finished with it in the stuffer tube. Hopefully, it has not been installed (glued) into the stuffer tube, because it is supposed to be removable.

You probably just need to sit down and go through the instruction sheet and see how that matches up with what has been done so far on the kit. But, from what I *have* seen, you have the basis for a pretty good finished model at a price point that is super-hard to beat for this classic.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 01-09-2020, 05:55 PM

Guess I will know more when it gets here. I believe the motor mount is glued in that way as shown in the photos? It should be up in the Rocket around 1.5” not counting the three motor tubes position.

Wonder if I was careful if I could use a hair dryer to loosen the glue and release the upper wrap?
=======================
Old 01-09-2020, 06:26 PM
Master Modeler

If I'm not mistaken, I believe the bottom of those 18 mm clustered tubes of the engine mount is flush or even with the Little Joe's main body tube. Should be no difficulty fixing this model to a fine one. Be creative!

Here you can see a pic (taken by Warren Benson of the NHRC NAR Section) of my old (built in early 1970's) Centuri Apollo Little Joe - II lift off at JSC in 2005 with the real one in the background (Rocket Park). Also visible is the Mercury Redstone and the Saturn - V's building with the big moon rocket inside.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  100B0070_sized.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  49.4 KB  
Old 01-09-2020, 09:08 PM
Scale Modeler Extrodinare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash
Guess I will know more when it gets here. I believe the motor mount is glued in that way as shown in the photos? It should be up in the Rocket around 1.5” not counting the three motor tubes position.

Wonder if I was careful if I could use a hair dryer to loosen the glue and release the upper wrap?

You'd better hope that engine mount isn't glued in place, because it's definitely in the wrong location.
I have one of the Centuri Little Joe IIs that I bought as a started kit of ebay ages ago and built 'per plan', so I did a quick check. The aft end of the engine mount is recessed 1.5 inches the bottom of the main body tube, and the three engine tubes are flush with rest of the aft end of the mount (no engine hooks, so I assume engine retention was by friction fit).
The wraps were factory installed, a few minor wrinkles can result from age but if you're careful you should be able to clean them up. Puncture with a pin, then see if you can flatten them out while using a hair dryer to shrink the material a bit. Given the historical significance, I'd be hesitant to remove the OEM wrap.
Are you planning to fly it, or just display?
BTW, $64 is a good deal if that engine mount isn't totally messed up.
Old 01-10-2020, 07:39 AM
Dazed and Confused

Those tubes may just be slid in there for packing purposes. However, if they are glued in, you can cut the mount out and graft a new one in. Most of us have done similar surgeries after having CATO's that damaged mounts. If you don't plan to fly it, just cut the tubes down flush to get it into display condition. You can donate it to me if you don't want to repair it.
Old 01-10-2020, 08:06 AM

She has to fly, it’s not called a flying model Rocket for nothing. Lol

Guess I will know when it gets here and yes I’m keeping her and do the repairs to get her complete.
=======================