Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2014, 08:31 PM
Master Modeler

Speaking of spammers, I don't really know how that works but even if you made a rec.models.rockets2, they would come just the same, right? Plus most ISPs don't host newsgroups anymore, correct? I still have my old PowerMac 7600 as I use it for my Alps printers. The other day I fired up Entourage for no reason, and noticed that it couldn't connect to RMR.
Old 03-01-2014, 09:21 PM
Dazed and Confused

Game time --

r.m.r. *was* a "cool thing" - but the 'spambots' and 'HTML' forums *made* it a 'thing' of the past. *Who* am 'I'?

(scroll down for hint)

Parachutes and recovery issues *are* pretty much "my thing" - but, outside of that, my 'stint' at TMT and running these launches down here in the past have resulted in some pretty firm opinions on things concerning the 'legal end', RSO issues and motor testing.
Old 03-01-2014, 09:28 PM
Sometimes collector

John Cato?
Old 03-01-2014, 09:30 PM
Lost his Drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
Game time --

r.m.r. *was* a "cool thing" - but the 'spambots' and 'HTML' forums *made* it a 'thing' of the past. *Who* am 'I'?

I "have" no - 'friggin' idea...
MTMA Section #606 President
Old 03-01-2014, 09:49 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5x7
John Cato?

You win.
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 03-01-2014, 09:57 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5x7
John Cato?

Only 1/3 correct. It's John H. Cato, Jr. , Registered Architect.

Did the a$inine (censored if spelled correctly) use of punctuation do it for you or did you need to read the hint?

Old 03-01-2014, 10:27 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Only 1/3 correct. It's John H. Cato, Jr. , Registered Architect.

Did the a$inine (censored if spelled correctly) use of punctuation do it for you or did you need to read the hint?

In hindsight, John would probably agree all the time spent in the flamewars with Bruce Kelly et al over Tripoli by-laws and other such topics was probably not the best use of time, he is one of the kindest, most gentle people I've ever known. And unlike some rocketry blowhards then and now, he has the engineering chops to back up much of what he says; probably one of the best engineering minds I know and I work directly with PhD engineers on an almost daily basis.

I advised him at the time he just needed to cut the r.m.r thing and walk away from it (I saw most of the r.m.r wars as a colossal waste of time and rarely frequented the forum myself), but he just would not listen until things had just gone too far by then.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Old 03-01-2014, 11:20 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
In hindsight, John would probably agree all the time spent in the flamewars with Bruce Kelly et al over Tripoli by-laws and other such topics was probably not the best use of time, he is one of the kindest, most gentle people I've ever known. And unlike some rocketry blowhards then and now, he has the engineering chops to back up much of what he says; probably one of the best engineering minds I know and I work directly with PhD engineers on an almost daily basis.

I advised him at the time he just needed to cut the r.m.r thing and walk away from it (I saw most of the r.m.r wars as a colossal waste of time and rarely frequented the forum myself), but he just would not listen until things had just gone too far by then.

Earl

And in hindsight, he was more or less correct. I think if his internet *tact* had been different, he might have been taken more seriously. Then again, I was one of the folks who was flying EX during that time, so I wasn't too happy that he was 'tattling' on TRA to the ABC organizations when they were watching us all along and leaving us alone for the most part.

He came up to one of our launches in TN and just sat in his truck and watched, never getting out, never flying. I don't know if he was gathering evidence or just wanting to be there to say "I told you so" if one of our EX motors hurt somebody. The funny part is that our motors (all Jim Mitchell's designs) were more reliable than Aerotech's of similar size at that particular time time.
Old 03-01-2014, 11:41 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
And in hindsight, he was more or less correct. I think if his internet *tact* had been different, he might have been taken more seriously. Then again, I was one of the folks who was flying EX during that time, so I wasn't too happy that he was 'tattling' on TRA to the ABC organizations when they were watching us all along and leaving us alone for the most part.

He came up to one of our launches in TN and just sat in his truck and watched, never getting out, never flying. I don't know if he was gathering evidence or just wanting to be there to say "I told you so" if one of our EX motors hurt somebody. The funny part is that our motors (all Jim Mitchell's designs) were more reliable than Aerotech's of similar size at that particular time time.

Jim made some great motors and was (is) a great guy. I haven't talked to him in quite a while, but was one of those down-to-earth guys I always enjoyed talking with and also capturing on tape at LDRS each year.

That TN launch you mentioned.....was that the one that the hybrid motor/balloon launch guys from Huntsville (forgot their project name....Tim Pickens was in the bunch as I recall) did a test flight of their hybrid motor in preparation for an altitiude attempt over the ocean sometime later? I'm thinking spring of '96 or so? Sound like the same launch?

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Old 03-02-2014, 01:00 AM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
Jim made some great motors and was (is) a great guy. I haven't talked to him in quite a while, but was one of those down-to-earth guys I always enjoyed talking with and also capturing on tape at LDRS each year.

That TN launch you mentioned.....was that the one that the hybrid motor/balloon launch guys from Huntsville (forgot their project name....Tim Pickens was in the bunch as I recall) did a test flight of their hybrid motor in preparation for an altitiude attempt over the ocean sometime later? I'm thinking spring of '96 or so? Sound like the same launch?

Earl

I don't think that was the same weekend, but I'm not 100% sure as we flew a bunch of times in the Manchester area and Tim's crew came up more than once. I think the HALO test flight was more of a private launch with just the local prefect and the HALO bunch invited. The one I'm thinking of was published and had people from all over. I flew a 4" diameter Cherokee upscale with the first publicly flown DPS YellowJacket (huge sparks with tons of Smokey Sam-like smoke) EX motor. Ross had his truck there with his trusty German Shepard. I'm not sure of any other details because all those Manchester area launches run together for me except the first one with Lamonthe's big crash and burn at Spears 1.

The HALO "dirt motor" (hybrid with tar fuel) first test flight was launched in Manchester. The rocket had a very high G boost and ripped off its fins but the rocket was still stable and went out of sight in just a few seconds. It was recovered about 15 minutes later. IIRC, that was also when Jim flew an 8" Phoenix missile on his first public flight of his 3" L class motor. It doesn't seem like mun was still behind Urinsco. ch now, but this was during the time that nobody was flying anything more than 38mm "J" motors in the east and Ron Urinsco was just venturing into the L and M range out in the western desert. Kosdon was still behind Urinsco, in the EX arena.

Sorry about the multiple edits. I'm a little hazy on detail and I'm editing as things come back into focus.