Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2014, 07:03 AM
Sometimes collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
You win.

John Cato has posted a few times on TRF, maybe he will post here. The RMR mess was awful but impossible to ignore. It's ironic but TMT still does not publish thrust curves, they just make announcements as far as I can tell.
Old 03-02-2014, 07:18 AM
Freeform rocketry advocate.

Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ

Half of my TMT motor approvals were made without even any data. When Kelly and Rogers unilaterally decertified them, they could not find a reliable date to report.
Old 03-02-2014, 07:34 AM
MMXCVII

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5x7
John Cato has posted a few times on TRF, maybe he will post here. The RMR mess was awful but impossible to ignore. It's ironic but TMT still does not publish thrust curves, they just make announcements as far as I can tell.

They don't but I've talked to Paul at TMT and I have no doubt he actually fires the motors and collects data. TMT is pretty much a one man show so if no one asks for the curves I can see where creating them wouldn't be a priority. NAR S & T has plenty of members so the work load gets spread out.
Old 03-02-2014, 08:25 AM
Master Modeler

Lol here we go again, where's Kaplow?

So without publishing the data or curves, then you just have to go on trust, right?

Why wouldn't creating them be a priority? Wouldn't they want to compare them to the manufacturer's published curves? Don't you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by billspad
They don't but I've talked to Paul at TMT and I have no doubt he actually fires the motors and collects data. TMT is pretty much a one man show so if no one asks for the curves I can see where creating them wouldn't be a priority. NAR S & T has plenty of members so the work load gets spread out.
Old 03-02-2014, 08:32 AM
Freeform rocketry advocate.

Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ

Quote:
Since the curves are needed for thrustcurve.org to have something, and they really only need 5-7 data points to make a JEND thrust curve. Why not?

cite:
http://www.thrustcurve.org/motorsearch.jsp?id=145
Old 03-02-2014, 08:58 AM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
Only 1/3 correct. It's John H. Cato, Jr. , Registered Architect.

Did the a$inine (censored if spelled correctly) use of punctuation do it for you or did you need to read the hint?

He registered here about a year ago, FYI. Don't know offhand the last time he logged in though.
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 03-02-2014, 09:14 AM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Irvine
Since the curves are needed for thrustcurve.org to have something, and they really only need 5-7 data points to make a JEND thrust curve. Why not?

cite:
http://www.thrustcurve.org/motorsearch.jsp?id=145

Good point.
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 03-02-2014, 09:28 AM
MMXCVII

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtschachner
Lol here we go again, where's Kaplow?

So without publishing the data or curves, then you just have to go on trust, right?

Why wouldn't creating them be a priority? Wouldn't they want to compare them to the manufacturer's published curves? Don't you?

It's always a matter of trust.

I can't answer for TMT but, unless the members ask for the curves, I can see where it wouldn't be high on the list.

You really don't need to compare the curve to the manufacturers published curve. You just need to check what NFPA 1125 calls for. That said, it's easier to do the job with the curve in front of you. I've seen an energetic ejection charge create a false peak thrust. Since the burn time and delay time are computed starting and ending at 5% of peak, that has to be cleaned up to get accurate numbers. The data acquisition that S & T uses (and I assume TMT) displays the curve but it takes time to make it look good enough to be useful.

And to answer Jerry's question, I'm almost positive TMT is providing data to thrustcurve.org so the job is getting done.
Old 03-02-2014, 09:32 AM
Lost his Drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5x7
The RMR mess was awful but impossible to ignore. It's ironic but TMT still does not publish thrust curves, they just make announcements as far as I can tell.

I only remember the awfulness of it, and not much of its substance. I remember forming an opinion that I would probably never join TRA. I started the ContestRoc YahooGroup in 2002 and moved on.
MTMA Section #606 President
Old 03-02-2014, 09:41 AM
Master Modeler

Thanks for the reply. After I posted those questions I started to suspect that the curve isn't part of the requirement.

OK thanks.

Quote:
It's always a matter of trust.

I can't answer for TMT but, unless the members ask for the curves, I can see where it wouldn't be high on the list.

You really don't need to compare the curve to the manufacturers published curve. You just need to check what NFPA 1125 calls for. That said, it's easier to do the job with the curve in front of you. I've seen an energetic ejection charge create a false peak thrust. Since the burn time and delay time are computed starting and ending at 5% of peak, that has to be cleaned up to get accurate numbers. The data acquisition that S & T uses (and I assume TMT) displays the curve but it takes time to make it look good enough to be useful.