Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-17-2009, 11:24 PM
Master Modeler

Question Designing & Testing??

Hi Mike,
thanks for all of your wonderful work for so many years with Estes and for taking the time to answer some questions.

My first question has to do with R&D and general designing of rockets. What are your procedures for test flying a design and in particular how are you checking for chute deployment?

Also in the same lines, can you give us some (any) tips on how to correct a design that is already built that has deployment problems? Sometimes it would be nice to have a C6-4!

How many times have you had a design that looked great and had to completely re-design the thing or just start over?

Are you folks using RockSim or other rocket design programs or are you just doing the math?

PS.
If Shrox falls asleep on the job do this. Get one of the Ping Pong balls off his desk and cut a ¾” hole in it and then hold it under his nose. That smell would wake up the dead, trust me some thinks I’ve learn the hard way .

Thanks for your time, JP.
James Pierson
NAR# 77907