Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Scale & Sport Scale Rocketry
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2011, 12:17 AM
Master Modeler

Default 1/24th Scale V-2

There is another scale vendor for the A-4/V-2 launches from White Sands. The model is intended as a static display, but being blow moulded from styrene there should be a strong possibility of converting this to a flyable airframe with CR and tubes. Many styrene detail parts which should also be usable. Price is a little high at $59.95, but then you probably paid that in the past for a Maxi Brute. Most find the decals pretty unique.

http://www.spacemonkeymodels.com/Sp.../V-2_Model.html
"The complexity of living is eminently favored to the simplicity of not."
Old 07-08-2011, 06:01 PM
Star Voyager

For 60 bucks? God no! Don't fly it!
Thats what the LOC V-2 is for!
NAR #92766
Old 07-09-2011, 12:04 AM
7/21/61

This is the most scale accurate V2 you can buy. The parts were developed by a member of the U.S. Spacemodeling team to use in a Bumper Wac in FAI scale altitude competiton. He is the same person who produces the Rocket Aero videos. The parts in the kit were built to be flyable.

Nice photos of the model can be seen in a thread on TRF: http://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?p=177058
Old 07-09-2011, 12:43 PM
Star Voyager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus
This is the most scale accurate V2 you can buy. The parts were developed by a member of the U.S. Spacemodeling team to use in a Bumper Wac in FAI scale altitude competiton. He is the same person who produces the Rocket Aero videos. The parts in the kit were built to be flyable.

Nice photos of the model can be seen in a thread on TRF: http://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?p=177058

I would buy the model to base scratch builds ( at least five) from. I would never fly it.
you can actually get more accurate detail than the molds recesses and raised lines to scale based from a scratch build ( wood or ' Plastruct' stock is handy). Scratch builds allow you to keep practicing till you get it right. You second to last build would be test fly-able and then the 5th or so final model- but hey-everyone has their way of working scale. I guess the intent here is to build competitive scale models. Am I correct in this assumption? 60 bucks to fly a full styrene airframe as a one-time, seems a too large an investment otherwise. Its a great static boiler plate model for sure, why buy just one when you can replicate it x number of times? Think of the model as buying information; like a Peter Alway drawing, but better as it is a 3 dimensional representation that includes color livery as well that can be duped.
NAR #92766

Last edited by Raygun : 07-09-2011 at 01:41 PM.
Old 07-09-2011, 05:37 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

the kit also comes with a dvd of the V2/A4 which they also sell by itself. So with the dvd and the kit , the price then is pretty good, it includes decals where the Loc doesn't. By the way I have a Loc V2 but still plan on getting this one. Much lighter so can fly at local fields.
Old 07-09-2011, 08:37 PM
Star Voyager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceclipper
the kit also comes with a dvd of the V2/A4 which they also sell by itself. So with the dvd and the kit , the price then is pretty good, it includes decals where the Loc doesn't. By the way I have a Loc V2 but still plan on getting this one. Much lighter so can fly at local fields.

I meant LOC 4" gauge tube for the 1/24 scale ( I think its a little bigger scale in inches) but the LOC kit can be mod for smaller fields too. It s lot a lettuce to invest that can go further than just one rocket, especially scale and the iterative specialty rocketry that it is. (I have already started tracing the decals!) My attitude as you can bear witness, is one of frugality; getting the most for your buck where there is so little to go around . Dont get me wrong, Thats a decent deal to get the model kit, just use it for reference.
A side note on plastic kit conversions: it's too bad plastic kits are expensive these days.
NAR #92766
Old 07-11-2011, 04:56 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

A more affordable kit that can be used for a pmc is the 1/48 scale V2 from Pegasus Hobbies. Very reasonable at $7.79 from Hobbylinc : http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/pgh/pgh8416.htm
A bit smaller scale but would really boogie on 18mm Aerotech 'loads