Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2011, 08:23 PM
Master Modeler

Default Centuri RX-16 clone build...

With the Apogee II and Beta in painting, it was time to move on to another project. I wanted it to be somewhat different - certainly not a 2 stager - so I browsed Ninfinger's site looking for something to strike my fancy. I soon ran across this:

Centuri Power System - RX 16

This first appeared back in 1977, and I actually bought one my sophomore year of college, as I was intrigued by the interchangeable motor mounts. Simple concept, but it worked out well - until I put the rocket into a tree

As usual, Semroc had all the parts - including laser cut fins, and the BC-1625 balsa equivalent of the nose cone. Many of these parts I had already, but I had to order a couple of things like the HTC-16 couplers. I also had most of the original decal, but it was in pretty bad shape after 34 years, so I ordered a new set from Excelsior.

Once the parts were in, I set about building the motor mounts. The original system had 18 mm and 2x18 mm mounts - these I built, along with a 24 mm mount for good measure:

The motor mounts are retained by an engine hook slotted into the main body tube. The HTC-16 couplers are exactly 1.75" in length, so I figured I could use a mini-engine hook. However, I forgot about the centering rings, which added another 1/8" or so, so I ending up cutting and shaping a standard engine hook. It is held in place by a small sheet of Tyvek, which I also got from Semroc a while back:

The rest of the build is pretty standard 4FNC, though I once again deviated from the instructions by constructing a Semroc baffle, which I plan to install tomorrow.

Current status:

In finishing: Centuri Sabre clone
In primer:
In paint:
Ready for decals:

Bill Cooke
NAR #31312
TRA #19705
SAM #0001
Huntsville, AL

My rocket blog
My rocket fleet
Old 06-05-2011, 08:38 PM
Apollo Nut

That 'live action' shot of the RX-16 twin engines under thrust was a cool kit box shot for that set back then. I always thought it was one of the better eye-catching product photographs for its day.

Did you make it through all the 'experiments' with your original Power Systems set back in the day? It was a pretty good concept for a product.....I wondered whether Centuri origially maybe had plans for additional 'modules' for that set as time went on, but things kinda turned down for them by the early 80s.

Nice clone!

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 06-05-2011, 08:42 PM
Dazed and Confused

I've got parts gathered and waiting for my own RX-16 and RX-7 rockets. Just waiting to see how well the fins on another project take primer (used freezer paper on Mark II's recommendation) before I start on it. Oh, and I have to build the Photon Probe my daughter bought me first or I'll be in trouble.

I'm looking forward to your build progress, so that it will motivate me to actually start and finish a project in the same year.

BTW, now I know why SEMROC was out of HTC-16 couplers. You got 'em all before I ordered!

Old 06-05-2011, 09:39 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
Did you make it through all the 'experiments' with your original Power Systems set back in the day? It was a pretty good concept for a product.....I wondered whether Centuri origially maybe had plans for additional 'modules' for that set as time went on, but things kinda turned down for them by the early 80s.

Yep, though the RX-7 did not last long. It flew so well on the B6-0/B6-6 combo, I tried a C6-0/C6-7. Never saw the sustainer again

From my perspective, Centuri was already in decline by 1977; Estes was producing the best/most creative kits by then. To me, the 74-75 catalog marked Centuri's last "good" year.
In primer:
In paint:
Ready for decals:

Bill Cooke
NAR #31312
TRA #19705
SAM #0001
Huntsville, AL

My rocket blog
My rocket fleet
Old 06-05-2011, 09:43 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
BTW, now I know why SEMROC was out of HTC-16 couplers. You got 'em all before I ordered! .

Sorry dude. Needed three for the build.
In primer:
In paint:
Ready for decals:

Bill Cooke
NAR #31312
TRA #19705
SAM #0001
Huntsville, AL

My rocket blog
My rocket fleet
Old 06-05-2011, 09:48 PM
BP Mafia

I thought this was so cool when I first saw it. Very scientific to my 13 year old mind. (To be honest, boiling water was also very scientific to my 13 year old mind, as was lighting farts.) I was the high bidder on a set around 2002. Thought I had it and never heard the bullet coming when I got sniped. Then there was a decal set that I bid on, but I don't remember what happened in that case. Cool clone. Looking forward to some flight reports and pics.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 06-06-2011, 09:20 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Never understood the purpose of a 2x18mm cluster of the RX16 or any other kit for that matter as it offers nothing over a sigle D12 but complexity.
A minimum 3x18mm cluster makes a LOT more sense as it offers more thrust and total impulse than any easily available 24mm motor offered back then with 3 C's in the mount.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 06-06-2011, 09:32 AM
Retired Missile Technician

gh,

It was a set to allow the modeler to do several different "experiments". Centuri did not have a D motor at the time and I am sure did not want to aid Estes. The two motor cluster was easier to fit in a removable motor mount to allow either a single motor or a cluster (albeit just two instead of three motors).
I had one of the sets and still have both motor mounts and the plastic nose cone from the RX-16. The RX-7 has long since gone to rocket heaven.
Again, it was to get modelers to do something other than just woosh-pop.

Chas
Old 06-06-2011, 11:30 AM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
Never understood the purpose of a 2x18mm cluster of the RX16 or any other kit for that matter as it offers nothing over a sigle D12 but complexity.
A minimum 3x18mm cluster makes a LOT more sense as it offers more thrust and total impulse than any easily available 24mm motor offered back then with 3 C's in the mount.

Not only did Centuri not have the D12 yet, but if you look at the actual test numbers, a pair of C6's have more total output than a single D12. A pair of C6's have a tested total impulse of 17.64n-s, where a single D12 is 16.84n-s. I'd have to weight the empty cases and do some math to see if it would have any net gain. In addition to the motor availability issue, the setup allowed the modeler to learn clustering techniques, and the outfit was geared toward learning.

As for Centuri not wanting to help out Estes, by the time the Power System Outfit came out, I believe Centuri was getting their motors from Estes anyway. They just wouldn't get a cut on it if people bought straight from Estes. It wouldn't be long before Damon started mixing more and more of the two companies together, though.
Old 06-10-2011, 07:42 PM
Master Modeler

Filled the spirals on this today - more sanding and maybe primer tomorrow. Depends a bit on the weather.
In primer:
In paint:
Ready for decals:

Bill Cooke
NAR #31312
TRA #19705
SAM #0001
Huntsville, AL

My rocket blog
My rocket fleet