Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Semroc > SVDT - Semroc Virtual Design Team
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2008, 08:04 AM
Retired Missile Technician

I received my SLS Brighton yesterday. It is a big kit with a massive balsa nose cone! I had my Estes Ranger clone next to the unopened kit and it was impressive. Problem is, it is kit #7. I don't know if it is worth another $75 to save a numbered kit. Actually, they are probably all #7's. Yeah, make 'em buy more that way.
Anywho, it will be a one model that I would fly the "kit" out of.
I will ask Carl about the name. It may be out of deference to Vern. Or maybe saber rattling by the Big E, especially of they do produce the promised "bring backs" (no clusters I assume). They asked Red River Rocketry to change their "Quarc" as it was too close to the Estes Quark.

Chas
Old 10-17-2008, 09:24 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas Russell
I received my SLS Brighton yesterday. It is a big kit with a massive balsa nose cone! I had my Estes Ranger clone next to the unopened kit and it was impressive. Problem is, it is kit #7. I don't know if it is worth another $75 to save a numbered kit. Actually, they are probably all #7's. Yeah, make 'em buy more that way.
Anywho, it will be a one model that I would fly the "kit" out of.
I will ask Carl about the name. It may be out of deference to Vern. Or maybe saber rattling by the Big E, especially of they do produce the promised "bring backs" (no clusters I assume). They asked Red River Rocketry to change their "Quarc" as it was too close to the Estes Quark.

Chas

Sounds great, Chas. I assume Carl's not using the Ranger name because the Brighton uses
three different interchangable motor mounts instead of a "fixed" three engine cluster mount. Personally, I've collected the parts to build a clone of the Astron Ranger myself (had
it in hand for quite some time, if one was to ask), but just haven't gotten around to starting
the build yet.
Old 10-18-2008, 02:25 AM
Too Many Initiators is Never Enough

I received my SLS Brighton Friday. Kit # 12.

You are not kidding about that massive balsa nose cone, Chas.

I'll move it to near the beginning of my build pile.

So many rockets to build...

Bob
Old 10-18-2008, 08:31 PM
Retired Missile Technician

I asked Carl yesterday about the use of Brighton instead of Ranger. He did indeed rename it as deference to Vern and the early Estes kit. SEMROC is a class act, however you want to measure a company. Friendship comes before profit.

On another note, at a DARS launch today I flew my Ranger clone that uses an original Estes BNC-60L. Pranged it when I had a "motivation HIGH, judgement LOW" moment and put wadding and tape over the three B6-4s and two of the three clogged on the centering ring. The laundry did not deploy. Nose cone was okay due to recent rains, but the payload section and upper main body were destroyed. An opportunity to rebuild and so a better finishing job!

Hey, all three motors lit! Bother....

Doug Sams did comment that the original cone was more pointed than some of the "duplicate" cones being offered today.
Chas
Old 10-18-2008, 10:26 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas Russell
I asked Carl yesterday about the use of Brighton instead of Ranger. He did indeed rename it as deference to Vern and the early Estes kit. SEMROC is a class act, however you want to measure a company. Friendship comes before profit.

On another note, at a DARS launch today I flew my Ranger clone that uses an original Estes BNC-60L. Pranged it when I had a "motivation HIGH, judgement LOW" moment and put wadding and tape over the three B6-4s and two of the three clogged on the centering ring. The laundry did not deploy. Nose cone was okay due to recent rains, but the payload section and upper main body were destroyed. An opportunity to rebuild and so a better finishing job!

Hey, all three motors lit! Bother....

Doug Sams did comment that the original cone was more pointed than some of the "duplicate" cones being offered today.
Chas

Ouch! I bet that prang must have hurt. I gather the balsa nose cone came out ok? I've
always loved to look at the catalog pics of the Astron Ranger back in the good old days;
I thought that was one of the most "powerful" rocket kit of the day .