Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Semroc > SVDT - Semroc Virtual Design Team
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2007, 01:28 AM
Forest Sprite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl@Semroc
As you join the team, add a brief resume to this thread so the other members know a little more about you. You might include such things as:
1. Real Name and City/State.
2. Local flying club.
3. Year started flying.
4. What you hope to gain from this experiment.
5. What you want the team to accomplish.
6. Your primary interest area (engines, rocket design, support, building, etc.)

I accepted Carl's kind invitation to join the SVDT back at the beginning of January, but didn't find this forum until yesterday.

1. Mark Kulka, Tupper Lake, NY. Have lived in NY most of my life, but still have a sentimental connection to my native Michigan (which is, incidentally, where I began flying rockets). I have the decidedly non-technical, engineering-free profession of social worker (go figure).

2. NAR #86134 (oh yeah, I'm a 53 year old kid). My club is ASTRE #471, but because of the distance and travel time to and from the Albany area, I do most of my flying locally and solo. The last time I checked, I was the only rocketeer/NAR member in the 6 million acre Adirondack Park.

3. I discovered "model rocketry" while watching a "Sky King" rerun in the early '60's, but didn't find out that it was an actual hobby until 1967, when I wrote a letter to Vern Estes after seeing an Estes ad in a magazine. I fell for the hobby hard, and flew rockets from 1967 to 1971. I put it all on the back burner when I went away to college, but always intended to get back into it; I finally did so, after 32 years, in 2003-04. I still have all the same passion and excitement for the hobby now that I did back in 1967. I finally, finally joined NAR this year, hence my high number.

4. The experience of being part of something big, of being a contributor to a big project. Getting ever more deeply involved in the hobby and helping to insure its future. Rubbing elbows with and learning from some of the most creative and accomplished people in the hobby. Being on the inside and helping to create breakthrough products for a breakthrough company.

5. Keep the dream alive, so to speak, and insure its survival well into the future. Usher in the next golden age of rocketry (which may have already started). Insure that rocketry remains something that can spark the imagination and inspire kids to reach higher and achieve more than they ever thought they could, like it did for me.

6. I may have lofty ideals, but many of my interests are in down to earth, practical matters. They include prototyping designs and verifying that they are "buildable," verifying simulations with real-world testing in the field, and insuring that instructions and printed materials are clear, logical, concise, complete, educational and appropriate to the skill level (without patronizing or "dumbing down"). I also enjoy investigating new design concepts via some balsa, some paper, and a reaction motor. My personal design tastes mostly favor rockets that display clean, classic lines ("thoroughbreds," if you will; examples are the Lune-R1 and the Aero-Dart), but I can also appreciate more ambitious and visionary designs (and may come up with a few unusual or crackpot ideas of my own from time to time).

I have always been, and I remain keenly interested in all forms of atmospheric flight, but most of all with rocket flight. For me, it symbolizes the qualities of "purity" and "truth," for reasons that I don't fully understand.

Mark Kulka
Mark S. Kulka NAR #86134 L1,_ASTRE #471_Adirondack Mountains, NY
Opinions Unfettered by Logic • Advice Unsullied by Erudition • Rocketry Without Pity
+09281962-TAK-08272007+
SAM # 0011
Old 02-25-2007, 03:21 PM
Incurable SEMROC Fan

Thumbs up Another joins the fold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark II
I accepted Carl's kind invitation to join the SVDT back at the beginning of January, but didn't find this forum until yesterday.

1. Mark Kulka, Tupper Lake, NY.
Welcome to the team, Mark!

Quote:
2. NAR #86134 [SNIP] I finally, finally joined NAR this year, hence my high number.
(chuckling) I also joined for the first time in 2006, and my NAR number is only 3 ahead of yours.

Cheers,
Semroc SAM #0029
NAR 86131

"I think about organizing things all the time. Never seems to happen. I find something that piques my interest and I'm off on a quest. Or a Centuri. "

--Bill Eichelberger, 02/22/2022

“Centuri fret buzz in an updated form.”
Bill “Wallyum” Eichelberger re: Estes Flutter-By
03 Sept 2014
Old 02-25-2007, 07:07 PM
Forest Sprite

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenturiGuy
Welcome to the team, Mark!

(chuckling) I also joined for the first time in 2006, and my NAR number is only 3 ahead of yours.

Cheers,

Yup, Jay, I noticed the similarity a couple of weeks ago. NAR HQ must have received both of our apps on the same day!

I have also noticed that you, too, are a long drive away from your "home" club.

Mark Kulka
Mark S. Kulka NAR #86134 L1,_ASTRE #471_Adirondack Mountains, NY
Opinions Unfettered by Logic • Advice Unsullied by Erudition • Rocketry Without Pity
+09281962-TAK-08272007+
SAM # 0011
Old 03-15-2007, 07:28 PM
Incurable Model Rocketeer

Send a message via Yahoo to DeanHFox
Default An intro to those who don't know me

Quote:
As you join the team, add a brief resume to this thread so the other members know a little more about you. You might include such things as

My real name is Dean Fox. and I live with two redhead boys, a redhead wife, and my parents (whom I keep in the basement ) here in Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin.

Quote:
2. Local flying club.

WOOSH, a great bunch of folks here in the Milwaukee metro area.

Quote:
3. Year started flying.

I started flying model rockets with my Astron Alpha in 1967. Boy, I wish I still had my Electro-Launch.

Quote:

I'd like to help Carl & crew bring more kits to market (so my boys can build what *I* built as a youngster), and explore SLS versions of some of the kits (so *I* can build bigger versions as a grown-up!)

Quote:

If we can help Semroc and other manufacturers keep existing rocketeers intrigued and recruit new folks to the hobby, I'd be tickled!

Quote:

I've always been interested in exotic designs...3FNC's just don't do anything for me (well, except my Alpha, but that's a different story...I didn't know any better!). I'm moderately handy with construction, design, and finishing.

I'm celebrating my 40th year in the hobby this year, and can't wait to see what lies around the bend of the next 40!
NAR #53946SR

---- "Wherever you go, there you are"
Old 04-13-2007, 07:53 PM
BAR

Quote:
As you join the team, add a brief resume to this thread so the other members know a little more about you. You might include such things as:
2. Local flying club.
3. Year started flying.

1. John Ludwig Port Hadlock, Washington State

2. Olympic Peninsula Rocketry (OPROC) 4-H Club Leader

3. 1973-1974 BAR 2003

4. I do not consider this experiment a gain for me personally. I think this experiment will better serve the rocket community as a whole. I hope that this experiment will raise the bar alot higher for other company's to reach for in Model Rocketry Products. A SEMROC support system for education for kids, Bulk rocket motors and kits.

5. To help make SEMROC #1

6. I think my interest are in the field of support, building, testing. general input. I'm a attention to detail type of person. I'm real fond of any Sci-Fi kits have a few of the older estes kits . But I do build 3-4FNC rockets . Fly on a small field 13mm A-B motors mainly.

John