Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Semroc > SVDT - Semroc Virtual Design Team
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2008, 11:59 PM
Junior ??? Rocketeer

Default Saturn 1B Build Project

We need 30+ Saturn 1B's built for an upcoming project to celebrate the 40th anniversary of Apollo 7 (October 11, 1968). These models will be our Saturn 1B kit with modifications and Apogee capsules, for ease of build. They will be non-flying and painted and decaled to match SA-205.

We have some master modelers lined up to build up to 10, but need 20-25 more built. Launch Magazine is behind us on this project and Mark Mayfield and I are working out details on contest prizes for the best model.

We need these completed and returned to us before October 7, 2008. We will supply the model and capsule, shipping container, and return postage. You supply the manpower, modeling skills and building supplies.

We are offering this first to the SVDT which has some of the best modelers in the world. If you know of additional modelers that can build a pristine Saturn 1B in a short period of time, please let me know on this thread. We need these to all be the "best of the best."

We will not be able to return any of the models except possibly the best one or two as judged by an independent panel of judges. Take plenty of pictures and we will as well.

Any additional details of the specific finishing aspects of SA-205 are also requested. Please keep this quiet and within this group and the other modelers that are brought onboard until we make it public.
NAR#4717 L2
semroc.com
Old 08-28-2008, 12:28 AM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl@Semroc
We need 30+ Saturn 1B's built for an upcoming project to celebrate the 40th anniversary of Apollo 7 (October 11, 1968). These models will be our Saturn 1B kit with modifications and Apogee capsules, for ease of build. They will be non-flying and painted and decaled to match SA-205.

We have some master modelers lined up to build up to 10, but need 20-25 more built. Launch Magazine is behind us on this project and Mark Mayfield and I are working out details on contest prizes for the best model.

We need these completed and returned to us before October 7, 2008. We will supply the model and capsule, shipping container, and return postage. You supply the manpower, modeling skills and building supplies.

We are offering this first to the SVDT which has some of the best modelers in the world. If you know of additional modelers that can build a pristine Saturn 1B in a short period of time, please let me know on this thread. We need these to all be the "best of the best."

We will not be able to return any of the models except possibly the best one or two as judged by an independent panel of judges. Take plenty of pictures and we will as well.

Any additional details of the specific finishing aspects of SA-205 are also requested. Please keep this quiet and within this group and the other modelers that are brought onboard until we make it public.

Carl,

I've still got an unbuilt kit in the box that I can start on. Send me a set, and I'll start this one immediately. I can put the Apogee capsule on it when it arrives.

What about the fiddly details, like rocket engines? How much added detail are these going to require? Full "museum level"? Or some lesser level, like "visible at X-number of feet"?

Perhaps posting some of those "modifications" here in the SVDT could speed up the process as we wait for packages to arrive...

BARCLONE Rocketry -- http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com
BARCLONE Blogsite -- http://barclone.wordpress.com
BARCLONE Forum -- BARCLONE Forum

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 08-28-2008, 07:22 AM
Master Modeler

Send a message via Yahoo to barone

Carl,

I'd be happy to help out. I can put all the other builds on hold. Like Craig, I've got a Semroc kit here already and can start as soon as the weekend is over (going out of town).
Old 08-28-2008, 07:30 AM
Rocket buildin' machine

Count me in. That will be the fourth one I've built now, and none of them wound up in my fleet . At least I'll have plenty of practice for when I get around to building a keeper, and the thought of skipping the dowel/tower structure in favor of the Apogee capsule has me chompin' at the bit.

If you get any more celebrity autographs on these, though, I might have to start asking for one of 'em back!

--Chan Stevens
Old 08-28-2008, 07:32 AM
Rocket buildin' machine

PS.--I've got a ton of scale data for the Saturns and will check through it for the specific round you're looking for.
Old 08-28-2008, 08:25 AM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

I can do one.
Old 08-28-2008, 11:05 AM
Junior ??? Rocketeer

Thanks Craig, Don, Chan, and Roy. The packages will go out today. The capsule will ship next Wednesday. You can start on an existing kit, but these are slightly different. An errata sheet will be ready by this weekend.

Still need 21 more!
NAR#4717 L2
semroc.com
Old 08-28-2008, 11:54 AM
Retired Missile Technician

Carl, please send me one. I don't have the work space to do more. Why does this happen with football season starting....

Chas
Old 08-28-2008, 01:41 PM
Administrator

Carl, I can do one.

Buzz
Old 08-28-2008, 01:52 PM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Carl,

Ron Stancil

ronstancil@yahoo.com

is an excellent modeler, and produced the Estes/Semroc/Apogee hybrid Saturn 1B you see in the side bar on the NSL2008 website

http://www.nsl2008.org/images/nslside04.jpg