Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Semroc > SAM - Semroc Astronautic Modeler Team
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2011, 07:20 PM
Surfrajettes Fan

Default Nose Cone Designer?

Carl?

I volunteer to Beta Test your new website function. The only thing I don't know about is the Control X1, Y1, X2 and Y2 functions. It did tell me I had to be logged on as a SAM to use it. It did allow me to enter data for, oh, I don't know, say a Vostok shroud, but I couldn't get anything else to happen.

As Desi used to say, "You got some splainin' to do."

Teach us.

Awaiting First Launch: Too numerous to count
Finishing: Zooch Saturn V; Alway/Nau BioArcas; Estes Expedition; TLP Standard
Repair/Rescue: Cherokee-D (2); Centuri Nike-Smoke; MX-774
On the Bench: 2650;
Dream Stage: 1/39.37 R-7
Old 01-24-2011, 09:57 PM
Junior ??? Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkB.
Carl?

I volunteer to Beta Test your new website function. The only thing I don't know about is the Control X1, Y1, X2 and Y2 functions. It did tell me I had to be logged on as a SAM to use it. It did allow me to enter data for, oh, I don't know, say a Vostok shroud, but I couldn't get anything else to happen.

As Desi used to say, "You got some splainin' to do."

Teach us.

I working on it! It just gets more elaborater and complexor (almost to the point that I do not understand it.)

Save function is in the works now.
NAR#4717 L2
semroc.com
Old 01-26-2011, 06:29 PM
Junior ??? Rocketeer

It is usable now. I need a help document!

Start with "NEW" to create a basic ogive shape. Adjust the shoulder to match tube or adjust the length of the first section to change size, then hit "REFRESH". When you are satisfied with the design, give it a name and hit "SAVE" to save it in your directory. Each SAM user can only save to his own directory and not to the Semroc main directory.

Another way to start is select a well known nose cone, transition, etc. in the Catalog Number field and clear the Owner field. This will bring up the current Semroc specifications for a part. You can modify those parameters and save it in your directory as a new part.

If you want to share your design with other SAM's, leave the Public field as "Yes". If you set it no "No", it is your private design and only you and Semroc can access it. Each balsa part is accessed by its unique Catalog Number and Owner. There can be as many BNC-20N nose cones as there are SAM's and they can all be different shapes! If you want to load a fellow SAM's design (if it is Public), you must enter the corresponding SAM# in the Owner field.

Use the "Notes" field for information such as "Upscale of Centuri BC-71" or "First test of my new nose cone", etc. This will show up in the master list of all nose cone (N.B.,add later.)

Most common types are Ogive, Ellipse, and Cone. They all need a beginning diameter, ending diameter, and length. The Control X1 is to modify the "fatness" of the shape. It can range from -1 (thin) to 0 (normal) to +1(fat). Many of the old Estes nose cones seemed to be around .2 for their ogives.

Bezier is a hard one to describe. Look up bezier curves for much more detail than I understand. It allows you to determine the shape of a curve by defining a starting point (begin diameter), ending point (end diameter) and two control points. The two contol points each are defined by x and y coordinates. If you have a shape in Corel Draw (or equiv.) you can read the bezier coordinates and enter them directly. (N.B.,Drawing needed!)

The Power, Haack, Parabolic series are identical to the ones in RockSim. Until now, I have not seen many of these three actually used in production nose cones.

The Split section is used to provide a saw point to separate two parts. See the BNC-3ET for an example.

The Flat is used to terminate a coupler or transition.

The None ends the nose cone. If you want to add an additional section, change the final None to the next shaper. See the TA-2050 for an example. See the BNC-2 for another very complex design.

Every balsa part generated can not be made on our equipment. The tool gets in the way if there is too much "flare" in the shape. (N.B.,Need test for tool hit.)

When you hit "Save" or "Save As", the program calculates and writes your unique cnc file to our server, so we can cut your balsa part minutes later. It calculates how long it will take to cut the part, how much balsa is needed, and calculates the volume of the part, its weight (based on 7lb/cf balsa), its length (minus shoulder) and its retail price. It also sends us an email to tell us that it has been written. (N.B., add capability to check box to designate whether this is for a future design or current need.)

It is possible to upscale and downscale a current design by scaling all the numbers provided with a calculator. Later, I will add a scale button to simplify that. For example, reading the beginning shape, then using a pull-down box to select the target tube type, like BT-20 to BT-70. As many times as I have done that, you would think I had already added that.

This is wordy without many pictures, so it will take some playing with it to get proficient. Hopefully, we will have several SAM's that can help with your project.
NAR#4717 L2
semroc.com
Old 01-26-2011, 06:34 PM
Dazed and Confused

Looks like I can sell my lathe and balsa stock now.
Old 01-26-2011, 06:54 PM
Master Modeler

Send a message via Yahoo to barone

Man....I don't come to the forum enough.....
Old 01-26-2011, 07:26 PM
Junior ??? Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jharding58
I think I experienced a little temporary dumbness last week, I have only just understood that not only were you showing me the proto NC, but that I could make adjustments and save as a different file. I must confess to feeling that I stumbled into a DoD server and would be making earth shattering changes!

Thanks for the access, and for the tool. Is there a way to delete a design once I have saved it in error? I did a "Save As" and a (0) was appeneded to the file name. Pretty sure you do not want your server clogged up with dubious files...

John,

I just added the save capability today. I will put the ability to delete an unused design on my list of to-do's.
NAR#4717 L2
semroc.com
Old 01-26-2011, 09:54 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Carl,

See if you can add the ability to directly enter a dimension value in the boxes, either via keyboard direct or from a cut-n-paste operation. I'm running Safari, and it won't allow me to do a direct input - only through the up/down buttons (and, interestingly, the up-arrow/down-arrow keys).

Another feature (I'm sure you've thought about this a lot) would be a visual graphic representation of the part. Not everyone has RockSim or OpenRocket...

I'm trying it out now...

Addendum: The direct input is hit-and-miss. One box refused to let me type in a value, while another lets me.

BARCLONE Rocketry -- http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com
BARCLONE Blogsite -- http://barclone.wordpress.com
BARCLONE Forum -- BARCLONE Forum

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 01-26-2011, 10:28 PM
Junior ??? Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPMcGraw
Carl,

See if you can add the ability to directly enter a dimension value in the boxes, either via keyboard direct or from a cut-n-paste operation. I'm running Safari, and it won't allow me to do a direct input - only through the up/down buttons (and, interestingly, the up-arrow/down-arrow keys).

Another feature (I'm sure you've thought about this a lot) would be a visual graphic representation of the part. Not everyone has RockSim or OpenRocket...

I'm trying it out now...

Addendum: The direct input is hit-and-miss. One box refused to let me type in a value, while another lets me.

Can you not see the nose cone? It is output via VML. I started to use Java, but it was another layer to learn. The spinners and input areas are in Java because HTML was not clean enough. On my PC, I have to use the numeric pad to input the minus, but other numbers work on main keyboard or numeric pad. Mysterious.
NAR#4717 L2
semroc.com
Old 01-26-2011, 11:50 PM
Junior ??? Rocketeer

I just loaded Safari and it throws away all the VML.

Time for me to learn SVG.
NAR#4717 L2
semroc.com
Old 01-27-2011, 12:42 AM
Master Modeler

Can the program do Von Karman ogives as well as tangent ogives and secant ogives?
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR