Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Scale & Sport Scale Rocketry
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2021, 10:57 PM
Avid Builder

Ed,
If you can beg, borrow or steal a copy of Peter's Rockets of the World there is a B/W color pattern illustration showing the different colors in various cross hatches. Also a stenciling pattern of the booster body. The colors are light machined metal, dark machined metal, dull aluminum alloy, olive drab, and black. On pg. 149 in the 4th edition.
Good luck.
Old 03-11-2021, 05:40 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faithwalker
So I guess that means we have flexibility to eyeball the model and determine if it is close enough to scale? I've not ever competed in a NAR event, so I am not exactly sure what qualifies as Sport Scale and what does not.

Kind regards,
Jeff Jenkins
aka: Faithwalker
NAR #46879 SR

A model doesn't have to be particularly good to qualify for scale or sport scale competition. The rules specify that the model can't just be an upper stage, and they specify that you must somehow document the model (some sort of picture of the real thing for Sport Scale, and much more persnickity requirements for a photo and some real-world dimensions for scale), but there are no standards for accuracy for a contest. So, for instance, if you entered that kit as-is, along with a photo or outline drawing of the real Nike Deacon, you would qualify. And whether you would be likely to win depends on whatever other models are entered.

But that doesn't keep me from looking down my nose at what a manufacturer produces as a kit. I make an effort *not* to look down my nose at a modeler's efforts, though. I can admire a well-built version of that kit as a fine bit of model rocket history.

Peter
Old 03-19-2021, 11:47 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastfromthepast
Hi, All,
I am looking to build a sport scale Nike Deacon, but nowhere can I find color data on any of the rounds. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks!

I've never seen any color images of the Nike-Deacon.

Peter Alway has color information in ROTW, but no color images.

I posted some data below, but you may already have it.

Dave F.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  1a.JPG
Views: 41
Size:  97.7 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  1b.JPG
Views: 33
Size:  101.0 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  1c.JPG
Views: 36
Size:  121.5 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  1d.JPG
Views: 36
Size:  288.5 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  1e.JPG
Views: 32
Size:  106.4 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  1f.JPG
Size:  119.3 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  1g.JPG
Size:  143.7 KB  
Old 03-19-2021, 07:09 PM
'nother Old Fart BAR....

Thanks for these photos. They have more details on the nose section than what I have in other sources. Also the photos of the DAN pre-flifgt show enough to build a reasonable scale version of the launcher as well.

Check out my wonderful model rocketry blog here:
https://castlerocketeer.blogspot.com/
Old 03-19-2021, 08:21 PM
Banned

Another pic of the Nike Deacon on the Launcher.

Dave F.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  1h.JPG
Views: 49
Size:  646.5 KB  
Old 03-19-2021, 08:49 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ez2cDave
Another pic of the Nike Deacon on the Launcher.

Dave F.

Looking at that photo, I’d say that the original image was in color, but reproduced (in whatever publication this image was published in) in black and white. My ‘seat of the paints’ eyeballs says that original photo was not taken on black and white film.

So, if you can find the original of this photo, I *think* you might find a color image.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 03-19-2021, 10:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
Looking at that photo, I’d say that the original image was in color, but reproduced (in whatever publication this image was published in) in black and white. My ‘seat of the paints’ eyeballs says that original photo was not taken on black and white film.

So, if you can find the original of this photo, I *think* you might find a color image.

Earl

Earl,

No luck . . .

I'm afraid that no color images, if any were ever taken, have survived to the present day.

I did find some additional info, however.

Dave F.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  1j.JPG
Size:  104.4 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  1i.JPG
Size:  721.5 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  1k.JPG
Size:  294.9 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  1l.JPG
Views: 27
Size:  93.5 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  1m.JPG
Views: 31
Size:  112.2 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  1n.JPG
Views: 29
Size:  89.0 KB  

Last edited by Ez2cDave : 03-19-2021 at 10:41 PM.
Old 07-13-2021, 04:42 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterAlway
I guess it's semi-scale in the sense that a semi must have run over their scale data?

A fascinating vintage rocket kit for sure, and I'm sure it was fun to build and fly. I just have trouble calling it scale. I think maybe the term "scale-like" might apply.

Peter
Peter, I thought you might find the following about the Nike-Deacon humorous:

In his 1958 book "Satellites, Rockets and Outer Space" (the earlier edition, with Chesley Bonestell's classic Mars expedition "landing boat" glider paintings on its cover, see: https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Se...Space&kn=&isbn= [a revised edition appeared in 1963]), Willy Ley (see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willy_Ley ) wrote--on page 31--that:

"THE NAMES OF A 'FAMILY' OF NEW ROCKETS HAVE, WITHIN the last few years, invaded the news. The names are Nike-Deacon (which for some reason I have been unable to fathom is abbreviated as DAN), Nike-Cajun, Terrapin, and HTV (which stands for Hypersonic Test Vehicle). They all have in common the fact that they are quite small, around fifteen feet in length or a little less, with diameters of less than one and a half feet. They are all propelled by solid fuels that can best be described as 'related to smokeless powder.' And they all have almost incredible performance." NOW:

Either he fathomed for himself, somewhere along the way, that DAN means "Deacon And Nike" (perhaps he read "NASA Sounding Rockets, 1958 - 1968: A Historical Summary" by William R. Corliss: https://history.nasa.gov/SP-4401.pdf , which lists the DAN, CAN [Cajun And Nike], ASPAN [Asp And Nike], etc. sounding rockets), or perhaps one of his friends in the space field quietly told him. Also:

In his very last (Copyright 1968) book ("Rockets, Missiles, And Men In Space"), published just a few months before his death on June 24, 1969, Dr. Ley covered the DAN, CAN, ASPAN, Nike-Apache, Black Brant, and other sounding rockets without any comments expressing confusion at where the name DAN came from. In fact, he used DAN--and *not* Nike-Deacon--as the primary reference in the book's index (the index entry reads, "Nike-Deacon, see DAN"). Having gotten involved in sounding rocketry in its formative years, when liquid propellant rockets--some with not-always-necessary large payload capacities--were the rule (the V-2, Bumper, Viking, WAC Corporal, Standard Aerobee, and Aerobee-Hi), Willy Ley was very happy to see the often military surplus--and thus quite cheap--all-solid propellant sounding rockets and meteorological rockets (such as the U.S. Navy's HASP, the 5" gun-launched High-Altitude Sounding Projectile, which used surplus U.S. Army Loki rocket motors to boost low-drag dart "unpowered upper stages" containing weather instruments about twenty miles high) come to dominate these fields.
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR