Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2021, 10:39 AM
Junior Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediBoss
There was also an Estes/NCR X-wing with rear ejection, if I remember correctly.

Yes, indeed. A unique, now hard to find kit.
Yep, a 29mm motor-mount to boot as well. The physically largest X-wing model rocket kit there ever was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
What could POSSIBLY go wrong with an X-Wing model rocket with a METAL SPIKE in the nose cone ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
Ah, the Red Squadron X-Wing. This one was potentially lethal. I think it had a metal spike in the nose and a reputation for lawn darting.

There is no metal spike in NCR X-wing's nose cone.
The entire body, including the nose cone, is made from vacuformed plastic.
What ballast one puts inside the nose cone, is entirely up to the flyer:
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...1g2eC1rU01kU093

As to lone-darting, rear ejection brings its own set of unfortunate challenges.
One can build the NCR X-wing to rely on either rear, or the traditional nose-cone ejection approach.

a
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  NCR X-wing box.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  117.5 KB  

Last edited by afadeev : 06-24-2021 at 09:52 AM.
Old 06-24-2021, 08:57 AM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
Saw an M80 placed under a coffee can blow the can 100' over the top of a telephone pole. No police were called. People just looked at it as the sound of summer.

I used to do that with a little Vienna weenie can and regular firecrackers.
Old 06-24-2021, 10:32 AM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanel
Not so funny to the mailbox owner. I pulled this stunt on a neighbor’s mailbox and had the misfortune of being seen by an insomniac elderly lady. My father was NOT happy.

Let’s just say I didn’t sit down for a day or so. Plus no allowance for a while as dad had to pay for that mailbox.

I keep telling Mom that despite my hell-raising reputation, I really made things easy on them growing up. Only one late-night phone call from the police station, and that was enough to curb my enthusiasm for run-ins with the constabulary. I was no angel, but nor was I some kind of dynamite wielding psycho.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 06-24-2021, 02:26 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

NEVER had a run-in with the "Constabulary" during childhood nor college.
My younger (and only) brother on the other hand was a different story.
Not that he did ANY more "Hell Raising" than I ever did; I just knew how to do it and ALWAYS get away with it !
He did not, nor would he listen to me.
Actually to this day among most of my classmates from high school I have a "Stellar" reputation for being "clean" by everyone except my closest friends. Some of the pranks I pulled my Senior year of high school are still legendary. I actually told someone 20 years later that used to work at my high school as one of the secretaries/aides who was behind a bunch of pranks that nobody got caught for.
Her response was "It was YOU ??? NOBODY would have ever suspected that"
I responded with "I STILL know that !" 😅

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 06-24-2021, 02:44 PM

I almost got caught with "contraband" one day during my sophomore year however.
A guy in high school I knew kept me supplied with genuine Silver Salutes and M100s for $1 each.
Keep in mind this was in the mid-80s and had already been banned by the CPSC for 20 years.
I had just taken possession of a bag of 25 of those gems prior to a pep-rally in the gym at the end of the school day.
Some toolshed dropped a lit string of at least 100 Black Cat firecrackers down below the bleachers causing
mass mayhem. I had the bag of Silver Salutes in my coat pocket. Anyone even close to being a "troublemaker/hooligan" was searched before exiting the gym. Thankfully I wasn't even given a second look passing outside. For a minute I was "sweating bullets".
I only lived about 2.5mi away from the High School and just to be SAFE I walked home with my "goodie bag".
I ran into my contact "Brett" the next day and he asked me if I had them when that went down.
I told him "yeah, but they didn't check me.". I would have been in DEEP MANURE if they had.

The clown that did the firecracker deed got "tuned up" by several of those other hooligans that got caught with "smokable contraband" during the search. Mucho Marijuana and Tobacco got seized along with several receiving suspensions. The firecracker bomber did not get caught as he had nothing else on him and he must have ditched his bic lighter. Several of those that got busted in the search had their suspensions overturned including the son of an attorney. He represented 5 of his friends and threatened to sue over illegal search/seizure due to no probable cause. The city and school decided the small amounts of marijuana was not worth chancing that as he had a real reputation of WINNING in court.
When I heard about that, my immediate reaction was YEAHHHHHHHH.
Now my state allows up to 10 ounces of Marijuana bud/flower for recreational purposes per adult, which still amazes me. Not federally legal, but not prosecuted either. This stuff is primo 20 to 27% THC stuff in genetically raised strains, not the 5% "ditchweed":that was around when I was a teen.

Last edited by ghrocketman : 06-24-2021 at 09:40 PM.
Old 06-26-2021, 06:35 AM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by afadeev
Yes, indeed. A unique, now hard to find kit.
Yep, a 29mm motor-mount to boot as well. The physically largest X-wing model rocket kit there ever was.<snip>
IIRC, the Maxi-Brute X-Wing and NCRBE X-Wing were of identical size. I've flown and crashed 2 Maxi-Brutes, have yet to build the NCRBE version.
NAR #87246 www.wooshrocketry.org
Old 06-26-2021, 09:28 AM

My understanding as well that they are the same size with the NCRBE having some heavier-duty parts.

Old 06-26-2021, 03:59 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
My understanding as well that they are the same size with the NCRBE having some heavier-duty parts.

Can confirm. I built the NCR kit many years ago, and have a copy of the Estes Maxi Brute kit on my workbench right now.

The injection molded parts are identical in both the NCR and Estes version. The shape of the blow-molded fuselage in the Maxi Brute is closer to the filming miniatures than the vacuform parts in the NCR kit.

Some believe that Estes had access to parts scavenged from an ILM pyro model when developing the original model back in the 70s. If you're interested, this thread provides some fascinating background:

https://www.therpf.com/forums/threa...xi-brute.73828/

James