Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Building Techniques
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2010, 09:29 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamjammer53150
Moderen rechargeables can dump a **** ton of current .........Harassment welcomed

Is that larger than a Metric Ton?
Old 02-28-2010, 12:20 PM
Craftsman

[QUOTE=shrox]The Quest Q2G2 igniter is excellent for clusters, but you must use the Quest Launch Controller as the voltage is different, but very, very reliable.[/QUOTE

That's the first time I heard that.....is that common knowledge?
Old 02-28-2010, 01:16 PM
U.S. Manned Space Program Buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRIJoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrox

The Quest Q2G2 igniter is excellent for clusters, but you must use the Quest Launch Controller as the voltage is different, but very, very reliable.

That's the first time I heard that.....is that common knowledge?

My understanding is that the amperage is different, much less than the standard Estes launch controller. The amperage that the Estes controller passes for continuity can actually fire the QG2Gs. Some have made mods to their controller so that it is compatible with the more amperage sensitive igniters. Others can chime in if I got this wrong (please do!).

Greg
Old 02-28-2010, 02:32 PM
AL Swackhammer , power freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregGleason
My understanding is that the amperage is different, much less than the standard Estes launch controller. The amperage that the Estes controller passes for continuity can actually fire the QG2Gs. Some have made mods to their controller so that it is compatible with the more amperage sensitive igniters. Others can chime in if I got this wrong (please do!).

Greg

not having flown anything with the quest ignitors. ( I flew my china super Cs with old solar ignitors ) - are these indeed that sensitive ? ala early electric matches ? or flashbulbs ?

I;ve been using an ELectron Beam controll for local flying, but can whip out my old contimuity safe controller if need be, now I'm curious as well.

~ AL

ps: speaking of flashbulbs and clusters - was watchign some old video footage I ran across while cleaning out my entertainment center - and found clip of my Ace Cantata on 12 x D12's all ion individual bulbs, all lit on the bad - pretty cool, I need to build another of those .
Old 02-28-2010, 08:30 PM
NAR #78048 L1 - Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregGleason

Greg

Hi Greg;

Yes, you basically have the point - the issue is the Q2G2 will flash at a current level much less than most other types of model rocket electric igniters. A Q2G2 can flash in the range of ~220 mA to 270 mA, and this happens to be in the sweet spot of the continuity check current consumed in the current Estes Electron Beam controller. Without a modification to the Electron Beam (a modification to further limit the check current), it would be unsafe to attempt to use the Q2G2 in conjunction with the Electron Beam.

You can read all about it here:

http://www.psc473.org/howto/Igniter.pdf
YORF #003
SAM #004
Old 02-28-2010, 09:12 PM
U.S. Manned Space Program Buff

Thanks John!

Electronics are not my strong suit. I figured if anyone would know it would be you.

Greg

Last edited by GregGleason : 02-28-2010 at 09:53 PM. Reason: Fix incorrect spelling.
Old 02-28-2010, 10:06 PM
BAR

Modding an Estes controller for Q2G2's isn't that hard (it's harder to type Q2G2 without screwing up than it is to mod the controller! Note to Quest-- next time pick a simpler to type name! )

Basically all you need to do is toss the stupid flashlight bulb that Estes includes in their controllers and install an LED flashlight bulb. You can find them from the camping section in Walmart all the way up to the pinball machine LED lights that others have linked to on here and TRF in similar threads on launch controller modifications...

Now, you CAN make an Estes controller MUCH MUCH better than the crappy stock setups they come as, but that's outside the purview of this topic and besides, a simple search of the forum will turn up lots of good information on this, if one chooses to do so.

Later! OL JR
Old 03-01-2010, 12:07 PM
young man but an old hand

Send a message via MSN to AFlyingMonkey

I've built my own launch box, and its a simple hand held unit that works off a 12V gel cell battery. It punches out 7A and I've never had it fail. I use a 5k Candlelight Red LED for when its lit, and a toggle button for the on/off switch. I have a pair of clips that connect right to the battery nodes, and a ten dollar charger that get it back up and running after the day is done. It never drops its amperage, and I can add whip clips as its needed. I've done a five engine cluster without any problems. I'll get some pics up later.

Too late, I'm here......
Old 06-08-2021, 09:31 PM
Banned

Yes . . . It is 11 years later.

Just go "Old School" and use a Car Battery or Deep Cycle Marine Battery . . . I like LARGE clusters, lighting 15-20, at one time !

Dave F.
Old 06-08-2021, 10:20 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Using a 12v Wet Cell for cluster ignition is "BEING REAL"
PROPER field support equipment is a MUST.
Using less than a motorcycle/jet ski 12v wet cell on clusters is asking for trouble and CHINTZING.
Trying to use 4 AA cells to ignite anything is folly and a single-point failure waiting to happen.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, TURMOIL, FIASCOS, and HAVOC !