Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > BARCLONE > Designer's Studio
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-2010, 10:56 PM
Incurable SEMROC Fan

Exclamation Old Design -- Centuri Excalibur 1.00X

Almost 9 months ago, my sick and twisted brain brought forth the 1.37X Centuri Excalibur:

http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=6542

The only thing I'd do differently now would be to substitute a BC-1048 nose cone.

Tonight, I posted the following bit on this-here thread:

http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showp...39&postcount=13

Last night I got "back on track" with my old-school Centuri Excalibur build. Thanks to HCM (Chris) Banjo's Odd'l Rockets "Cutter" device, I cut the two main body tubes to length. I have a whole pile of decals redrawn in black by Tom "Tango Papa" Prestia from a *long* time ago, and it looks like I'll use the Semroc BC-734P (the balsa equivalent of a "pointy" Centuri PNC-74), just because I have a couple of them.

Once my current order arrives, then I'll have the BR-78 and the fin set. I printed out fin marking guides with VCT 1.00 (an upgraded version of VCP), and still need to print fin alignment guides. Oh, the angle aluminum worked GREAT!

...which led to tonight's RockSim "can't leave well enough alone" exorcism: I started with Carl's Semroc Excalibur file, and updated it with a BC-734P and his matboard fins.

I'm *amazed* at the performance, and I'll probably end up painting one fin from each set black, and do the rest in Metallic Turquoise.

(Announcer's voice) "And now, back to your regularly scheduled rocket forum..."

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Excalibur_1972.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  120.5 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Semroc_Excalibur_Jay_100X_01.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  135.7 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Semroc_Excalibur_Jay_100X_02.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  148.7 KB  
Attached Files
File Type: rkt Semroc-Excalibur_Jay_100X.rkt (70.3 KB, 85 views)
Semroc SAM #0029
NAR 86131

"I think about organizing things all the time. Never seems to happen. I find something that piques my interest and I'm off on a quest. Or a Centuri. "

--Bill Eichelberger, 02/22/2022

“Centuri fret buzz in an updated form.”
Bill “Wallyum” Eichelberger re: Estes Flutter-By
03 Sept 2014
Old 10-25-2010, 11:36 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenturiGuy

I'm *amazed* at the performance, and I'll probably end up painting one fin from each set black, and do the rest in Metallic Turquoise.

(Announcer's voice) "And now, back to your regularly scheduled rocket forum..."

Jay-

This is weird....*I* started a 'vintage' Centuri Excaliber build tonight as well (an intact Excaliber kit from a Centuri 'Big Shot' starter outfit purchased on eBay several years ago).

I really do like the color scheme from the '72 catalog page you posted there, but have always wondered just exactly *what* color that was on the model in the catalog. It 'looked' somewhat 'silver' to me (NOTE: I am color blind), but I could also tell it was not really a standard silver 'tone'. I liked the color, just was not sure what to call it (the Flutter By, on the same catalog page, appears to be painted the same color).

Is that color, in fact, 'Metalic Turquoise'? Or...is that simply a color that you have chosen that is not related to the catalog color?

Just wondering. I'd like to nail down whatever color that is and use it on my build.

Earl

P.S.--Interesting 'historical' note in my build here. Back in the late '71 timeframe, my best friend at the time (third grade) and his father got into model rocketry. The starter set his Dad got for them was the Centuri Astro-1 starter set with the ol' Servo Launcher. Along with that initial order for the starter set was included a 'free' Excaliber. I was not able to get into model rocketry at the time, but was highly interested in it and watched with great interest as his dad built the models. Alas, in '76 (after their interest in rocketry had waned, but I had just bought my first starter set -- the Centuri Eagle Power set), they were moving to North Carolina from here in Augusta, GA and I was helping them pack. We came across their old rocketry stuff, which basically was the old Servo launcher, some rocketry manuals, and the 'remains' of that Excaliber. They passed them on to me. I used the #7 bodytube from those remains at that time to build my first 'scratch' built rocket, but saved some of the other little odds and ends from the rocket, which included the little metal engine lock clip. Well, to drone on even more, I dug that little clip out of my parts box tonight and used it on the motor mount for MY vintage Excaliber build all these years later.

So, once this Excaliber takes flight (whenever that might be), it will be sporting my childhood best friend's old Excaliber motor clip from '71, which probably last flew in '72 or maybe '73 at the latest.

Ok, you can get your hankies out now (sniffle, sniffle).
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 11-13-2010, 10:50 AM
Incurable SEMROC Fan

Thumbs up "Name that color!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
I really do like the color scheme from the '72 catalog page you posted there, but have always wondered just exactly *what* color that was on the model in the catalog. It 'looked' somewhat 'silver' to me (NOTE: I am color blind), but I could also tell it was not really a standard silver 'tone'. I liked the color, just was not sure what to call it (the Flutter By, on the same catalog page, appears to be painted the same color).

Is that color, in fact, 'Metalic Turquoise'? Or...is that simply a color that you have chosen that is not related to the catalog color?

Just wondering. I'd like to nail down whatever color that is and use it on my build.
Earl,

Sorry to neglect this thread!

As a kid, I wasn't sure what color the Excalibur was in the catalog, just that it looked really cool.

Now as an adult, I'm convinced that the color is in fact Metallic Turquoise, and I hope to pick up some spray cans of it at a local hobby shop that's in the process of going out of business.

So there's your answer!

Cheers,
Semroc SAM #0029
NAR 86131

"I think about organizing things all the time. Never seems to happen. I find something that piques my interest and I'm off on a quest. Or a Centuri. "

--Bill Eichelberger, 02/22/2022

“Centuri fret buzz in an updated form.”
Bill “Wallyum” Eichelberger re: Estes Flutter-By
03 Sept 2014
Old 11-13-2010, 06:57 PM
When Pigs Fly!

Hi Jay,
Glad the CUTTER tool worked well for you!

The Excalibur is a favorite, I'll build one some day.
I thought it was interesting that all three models on the facing Centuri catalog pages had chrome self-adhesive mylar trim on them. It's such a great trim material. Lately I've been using chrome Trim Monokote with the same results.

The Excalibur looks like a light metallic blue, but that chrome really sets it off!

www.oddlrockets.com
www.modelrocketbuilding.blogspot.com
http://www.nar.org/educational-reso...ing-techniques/
Your results may vary
"Nose cones roll, be careful with that."
Every spaceman needs a ray gun.
Look out - I'm the Meister Shyster!