Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2020, 09:58 PM
BP Mafia

Default WSR Launch, Dayton, OH - September 19, 2020

Made 15 flights on the day, (or 14.5,) to set a new personal record. Still shooting for that 200 mark if I can get a few decent days at B6-4 Field. The half flight today occurred when the sustainer in the Estes Scorpion failed to light. It came down in a flat spin and landed without damage. Lost my El Gato cluster when it kicked right off the pad on a 2xC6-5 flight. It was almost out of the park when it ejected and the huge reef hole didn't help. Last seen over the biker bar across the street. My Screw Loose/Buffalo Wings and Rings did several loops before crashing to the ground on the flightline, almost at my feet. Badly damaged, but it will fly again. On A8-3s. The Estes Sky-Hi caught the road on recovery and wound up with a nasty zipper on a B6-0/B6-6 flight. Probably not fixable, but it was an eBay rescue anyway. Ten of the fifteen flights were first flight birds, so I got some new ones on the books.

The lineup:

Custom Rockets - Aztec
A8-5+A8-0

Semroc - Taurus
B6-4

Mega Goon - Hareus Humongous
D12-5

Semroc - Mini-Hustler
B6-4

Estes - Sky-Hi
B6-0+B6-6

Semroc - Egg Crate
2xC6-5

Estes - Vindicator
C6-5

Estes - Falcon Commander
C6-5

Estes - Dune Guild Heighliner
B6-6

Semroc - S.P.E.V.
C6-5

Estes - Patriot M104 RTF
C6-5

Fishhead Rocketry - Buffalo Wings and Rings
C6-3

Fishhead Rocketry - El Gato
2xC6-5

Estes - Sequoia
A3-4

Estes - Scorpion
B6-0

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 09-19-2020, 10:14 PM
Apollo Nut

Sounds like a good day on the field. What’s your altitude estimate on your Egg Crate flight?

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 09-19-2020, 10:15 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

Wow, busy day, and your flight totals for the year are amazing. I flew in January and March, and I don't think I broke 10 flights total. Looks like we are shut down until it either rains or snows (the latter more likely). I’ll keep building, I guess ...

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp
Old 09-19-2020, 11:02 PM
The Alpha Kid

I've been out more often than usual and my score is less than 40 flights this season. 200 is impressive!
Old 09-20-2020, 07:53 AM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
Sounds like a good day on the field. What’s your altitude estimate on your Egg Crate flight?

Earl

I wrote down 800', but I'm really lousy at estimating.

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Old 09-20-2020, 08:00 AM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeR
Wow, busy day, and your flight totals for the year are amazing. I flew in January and March, and I don't think I broke 10 flights total. Looks like we are shut down until it either rains or snows (the latter more likely). I’ll keep building, I guess ...

If I was going to have a 20+ flight day, it would have been yesterday. Crowds were sparse, but I didn't get much time to prep on Friday night like I usually do. We're dogsitting for the kids and I didn't find the time to sneak downstairs to prep. I had a few done from my attempts at sneaking up to B6-4 Field, so it was just a matter of slipping a bigger motor in, but not many. It was pretty windy when we started yesterday, and I initially didn't trust anything larger than a B6, but I got over that once the winds settled.

I miss being SAM 0058

Old 09-20-2020, 08:04 AM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by erik442
I've been out more often than usual and my score is less than 40 flights this season. 200 is impressive!

Dumb luck on my part. I've actually been able to make 75% of the club launches this year, and while we were shut down I did a lot of flying on my own just to break up the monotony. It didn't really occur to me that I was having that big a season until late July or August. After that my flying luck went into the Port-a-john for a few weeks. A family funeral caused me to miss one weekend and B6-4 Field was suddenly packed with people for late season tournaments.

I miss being SAM 0058

Old 09-21-2020, 09:27 PM
The_Ripper

Bill did anyone get a lift off shot of the Semroc Egg Crate on the 2xC6-5 cluster? I just picked up a Semroc Egg Crate from a seller in Canada. Very interesting kit with the different interchangeable motor mounts.
SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Paint & Detail: USR Banshee
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
🚀 In Repair: SLS Lil’ Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart 1969 Trim
🚀 Stay Tuned For Fall 2021 Launch Dates
Old 09-22-2020, 06:36 AM
BP Mafia

I've got some stills from my phone vid.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Semroc Egg Crate vid_Moment 2.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  79.5 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Semroc Egg Crate vid_Moment 3.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  28.5 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Semroc Egg Crate vid_Moment 4.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  26.4 KB  

I miss being SAM 0058

Old 09-22-2020, 05:46 PM
The_Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
I've got some stills from my phone vid.
Very cool Bill. Love the thick smoke trail from the cluster flight. I am surprised with as many flights as you have been putting in these days you have any time for pictures so I kinda didn't want to ask That's a really cool kit.

I am seriously thinking about bumping either my newly acquired Semroc Egg Crate or my Centurion-F parts kit Randy Boadway helped me with to the top of the build pile.

I do plan to procure the parts from Randy to make a second alternate longer payload section for my Semroc Egg Crate. Similar to the one on the bottom of this EMRR page in white with the paint can next to it. Not sure if the link will work the images seem to change every time I visit for some reason. Every time I reload the page a different image comes up. One of these might be from your article I see you have your recent flight data here too.

https://www.rocketreviews.com/semroc---egg-crate.html

I have the parts in my cart I just haven't pulled the trigger on it yet .....

Edit: If the picture doesn't come up at the link I posted it here of the longer payload look. The decals on the bottom body tube should be in opposite positions but I do like the alternate longer look too.
[Sorry, I can't give photo credit I don't know who this model belongs to]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  image-semroc---egg-crate-kit-kv-39-300-400-064718025222512.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  12.6 KB  
SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Paint & Detail: USR Banshee
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
🚀 In Repair: SLS Lil’ Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart 1969 Trim
🚀 Stay Tuned For Fall 2021 Launch Dates