Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Forum Information, Rules, Etc
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2020, 08:31 AM
Ciderwright

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
Aren't the bulk of these old plans abandoned copyrights?

I don't think you can abandon a copyright. Lose to others, waive, give away, yes. I think it naturally falls to 'heirs and successors'. I'm quite sure that a publisher choosing not to print material doesn't make it public domain. Trademark, you are obligated to self-police and renew. Upon reflection, I know less about copyright, other than it lasting -much- longer.

I knew that the old Centuri and Estes plans had permission - maybe second hand via Carl. The topic has come up a couple times in just the 7 years I've followed YORF. People's answers to John Boren address those plans.

I didn't know about the Quest plans. I did take a look through some of the rest of the repository and found how Scott has indicated similar grants. And that not all the company collections have them.

I know that cloning from copied instructions raises at least some eyebrows - Don Magness has been quite vocal in at least one past thread.

I did not intentionally throw mud at Scott. I intentionally asked the people harshly criticizing the person referred to at the top of the threads (not questioning validity the criticism itself) to consider the -possibility- of hypocrisy.

I know that I am both faulted and fallible. I try very hard to be self aware. I do ask that of others, too.
Ad Astra Tabernamque!
Old 02-13-2020, 08:43 AM
Surfrajettes Fan

Copyrights:

If owned by a corporation: 95 years

If owned by an individual: life of the individual + 70 years

My question would be who owns them? Were all of the IP rights sold with the company to the new owners? Was that true every time? Obviously, the Estes and Centuri names were sold and the patents for the motors and motor-making machines. But the 60's designs? The names? The instructions? I wonder.

Abandoned? Did Estes legal send cease and desist letters? Do they still? Does Estes have the money for the IP enforcement actions? Abandon means you know of a violation and do nothing about it.

What did Carl work out with Estes for the XKits?

We really need a lot more information to opine one way or the other.

Awaiting First Launch: Too numerous to count
Finishing: Zooch Saturn V; Alway/Nau BioArcas; Estes Expedition; TLP Standard
Repair/Rescue: Cherokee-D (2); Centuri Nike-Smoke; MX-774
On the Bench: 2650;
Dream Stage: 1/39.37 R-7
Old 02-13-2020, 09:08 AM
Dazed and Confused

I think we need to look at one obvious elephant in the room. The TRF post was one of several made by the same individual of material that could still bring income to Mr. Alway in the form of the still available supplements. Mr. Alway has asked him to stop on more than one occasion and he hasn't. Something should have been done, and to my understanding, finally has. That should be the end of that particular discussion.

As to what is posted on YORS, JimZ's, Ninfinger, etc. None of the material has been posted with ignored objections of the owners of said materials. Quite the opposite has happened. Owners have been asked and have either given their blessing or have told them not to post them and their wishes have been followed. Let's not look a gift horse in the mouth and stir up things. We don't want to cause some owners of the materials to change their minds and demand that this wonderful historical information be removed from our access. Please let this thread die.
Old 02-13-2020, 10:41 AM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeppel_cpm
(snip) Don Magness has been quite vocal in at least one past thread (snip)

That guy's an idiot and you shouldn't pay attention to anything he says.

Follow us on Facebook

Even the best of friends cannot attend each others' funeral.
Old 02-13-2020, 01:15 PM
Old Submariner

Has Peter Alway himself weighed in on this? I don't know if he's on any forums.

4 out of 3 people struggle with math.

Chemically, alcohol IS a solution.

NAR# 94042
SAM# 0078
Old 02-13-2020, 01:29 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffyjeep
Has Peter Alway himself weighed in on this? I don't know if he's on any forums.

Yes, on TRF. As noted earlier, he asked the individual (and others) several times to stop posting his intellectual property. And just as has been done here, playground excuses started flying.

BTW, Don....nice reply!
Old 02-13-2020, 04:44 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Hilarious, Don.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 07-08-2021, 08:15 PM
Cardstock Designer

Default Best Way To Report Copyright Violation

Use the The red/white triangle with the exclamation, upper right corner on all posts; to notify moderators when a copyrighted item is posted.

Best way to stop the bickering of someone whining when they've been asked to stop.

Red-flags the post for further investigation.

I don't know what I would do if Peter stops printing/selling his books and supplements.

How I design my rockets is by using his stationing and diameters to reproduce as close to scale as possible. Love his brief histories and comments. Peter does us all a service.

One thing is for sure, I would blow my top if any of the designs I've posted here ever show up on the other place. I pulled all my designs from there because I did not like the direction they headed.

YORF is a well run and great place to visit. The red triangle exclamation mark is a tool designed to help keep it that way.

I'm getting ready to start designing some winged models that use the Aerotech RMS Casing 18/20 Blue Thunder Long Burn c3.4t/D2.3T. Absolutely don't want these designs getting posted on the the other website. No I haven't been banned, I just quit going there.

Best regards,
Mike Bauer