Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Semroc > SAM - Semroc Astronautic Modeler Team
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2012, 11:33 AM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCBadger
Is there a link (or other reference) that can be shared?
Here's Tim's write-up:

http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/show...ghlight=cineroc

Doug

YORF member #11
Old 07-15-2012, 11:46 AM
Flying Model Rocket

Default Ordered!

I have been watching this one for a long time! Took the opportunity to order a starlight and a sprite as well!
Old 07-16-2012, 11:25 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlag
...Maybe for a guitar pic signed by the greatest, Jimmy Page?!

Allen

I don't have the original, but how about a Retro-Repro model of that Pic?
Member: Washington Aerospace Club NAR Section #578
NAR #94383
TRA #15009
HPR Level 2
Old 07-18-2012, 01:11 PM
Low and Slow

My omega arrived today. I got Production #8
Old 07-18-2012, 01:14 PM
Dazed and Confused

A '58 or '59 model Les Paul with a nice flame top and shaved neck will do just fine.
Old 09-01-2012, 06:46 PM
BAR

Smile

Put my Omega up in the air last weekend at the Olympic Peninsula 4-H Pasture Blasture event. It received oooh's and ahh's from a number of attendees.

I made two modifications to the stock bird. I installed a Semroc ejection baffle, as I put one in pretty much every rocket I build anymore. I also replaced the plastic chute with a 15" Florescent Orange Nylon chute.

I used a D12-0 Booster with E9-6 in the sustainer. It flew high and true, weather ****ing to the east a bit due to the winds at the time of launch. The booster was recovered a short distance from the launch pad, but I had a long walk of several hundred yards to recover the rocket. It was finally found in a patch of scrub brush. The added florescent orange chute was the only thing that made it visable.

Overall it was a great flight! Only one little downer, the Nose cone came off, probably during the recovery event and was lost. Because of this it was the only flight this rocket made that day. I'll have to order a couple spares from Carl on my next order.
NAR #94383
TRA #15009
HPR Level 2
Old 09-02-2012, 12:07 AM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Right Wing Wacko
Overall it was a great flight! Only one little downer, the Nose cone came off, probably during the recovery event and was lost. Because of this it was the only flight this rocket made that day. I'll have to order a couple spares from Carl on my next order.

Friction fit your replacement pretty tight with a little masking tape on the shoulder. Get some yellow electrical tape to make it look more like the original Cineroc catalog shots and add more more security. Split the tape down the middle by laying it on a clean piece of glass or other smooth surface.
Old 09-02-2012, 08:36 AM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
Friction fit your replacement pretty tight with a little masking tape on the shoulder. Get some yellow electrical tape to make it look more like the original Cineroc catalog shots and add more more security. Split the tape down the middle by laying it on a clean piece of glass or other smooth surface.
In this case, with tape inside and out, I think Tim's got it covered.

But, generally speaking, with nosecones on payload sections, I like to put a string on the nosecone (using a screw eye and maybe a snap swivel) and anchor the other end in the payload section. That way, even if the nosecone comes off, perhaps due to a hard ejection, it will still be retained on the rocket.

I actually got a small zipper on the payload section of my L1 flight using this technique, but it wasn't enough to DQ the flight. However, losing the NC would have!

Doug

YORF member #11
Old 09-02-2012, 10:20 PM
BAR

Yes, I'll probably put a eyelet on the replacement a attach it so it doesn't get away again

However that doesn't save the payload. This time all I lost was a 1oz fishing weight and some dog barf... next time... I'm glad it was way out over the field instead of over the attendee's... one oz of Lead falling 800-1000 feet could hurt! The tape on the outside sounds like a good idea.

I swear the I thought it was on pretty tight, but I think the initeria on that fishing weight must have jarred it loose, even though it was packed fairly tite with the cellulose.
NAR #94383
TRA #15009
HPR Level 2
Old 09-04-2012, 09:25 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Right Wing Wacko
Put my Omega up in the air last weekend at the Olympic Peninsula 4-H Pasture Blasture event. It received oooh's and ahh's from a number of attendees.

I made two modifications to the stock bird. I installed a Semroc ejection baffle, as I put one in pretty much every rocket I build anymore. I also replaced the plastic chute with a 15" Florescent Orange Nylon chute.

I used a D12-0 Booster with E9-6 in the sustainer. It flew high and true, weather ****ing to the east a bit due to the winds at the time of launch. The booster was recovered a short distance from the launch pad, but I had a long walk of several hundred yards to recover the rocket. It was finally found in a patch of scrub brush. The added florescent orange chute was the only thing that made it visable.

I saw your Omega flight, sure put a smile on my face. Sorry about the NC.
make sure you come over next year , would love to see the Omega again.

BTW at Pasture Blaster we recorded 350 flights w/ 130 people in attendance and also 3 NAR L1 cert flights. Congrats to BEC Nice Flight!!!!

NAR #91135 L1
SAM #0037