Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2012, 11:06 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke strawwalker
Except that a hybrid would be an ENTIRELY new motor design... Personally I'd like to see a hybrid in the final SLS booster competition... I think it has a lot of advantages, being throttlable and shut-down-able... (is that a word?? LOL) At any rate, however, it's a completely different animal from the SRB technology as it presently exists... which means a lot of time and money required for development...

I'd still like to see one competed out against regular SRB and LRB alternatives, though... maybe, just maybe, the advantages of a solid and the advantages of a liquid combined in one...

Later! OL JR
If I was designing a "clean sheet" two-stage rocket/capsule system (and had the money, of course), I would go with LOX/HTPB or LOX/PBAN hybrid propulsion (or LOX/paraffin, if Space Propulsion Group's 10" LOX/paraffin hybrid is scalable to large sizes) for both stages. The launch vehicle would be completely safe to transport and handle on the ground, its exhaust would be very clean, its motors could be shut down in an emergency, and since its explosive potential (TNT equivalent) would be zero, the capsule's launch escape system would have much more modest performance requirements (just enough to keep the rocket from re-contacting the capsule after separation). Also:

The ISP of SPG's (Space Propulsion Group's) LOX/paraffin hybrid is close to that of a LOX/kerosene liquid propellant engine, so if it could be scaled up and/or clustered, this hybrid propellant combination might be the best. In addition to its high performance (which is due to the surface layer of the fuel melting to a liquid and mixing thoroughly with the LOX), the paraffin fuel grain's higher regression rate enables it to have a simple, cheaper-to-produce single cylindrical port. (Rubber-based hybrid fuel grains require complex, more expensive multi-port passages for the oxidizer, because their lower regression rates require more exposed fuel surface area for a given thrust level.)
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR
Old 05-12-2012, 11:22 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Irvine
SLS is largely a political animal to keep the production lines open and folks employed who worked on shuttle power plants and structures. There is no current political or programmatic noise to even consider alternative evolved liquids much less an as yet non-existent or evolved hybrid.

That said, I have been doing some work on arbitrary size and thrust hybrids which are scalable and which have considerable operational and ISP benefits to many solids and liquids.

Current "space programs" are effectively discreet clubs of zealots and supporters who make every effort to be mutually exclusive, on the principal that if they "win" their rocket gets made. This meme presumes a fixed or shrinking size pie, which may be governmentally true. But in the private sector, a rising tide lifts all ships.

So perhaps a private sector initiative is the way to go on this.

Jerry
Very interesting! Jerry, if you could produce a small, cheap sounding rocket (say, 20 kg to 100 km, at least for a start) powered by one of your scalable hybrid motor designs, I have a possible payload customer for you. He noted in a public lecture in February that this year's sounding rocket campaign at the Poker Flat Research Range consisted of just *one* rocket, because suborbital vehicles are also getting increasingly expensive. He is passionate about reducing the costs of suborbital as well as orbital launches (he has flown microsatellites that successfully used cheap, non-aerospace rated components). If you are interested, I would be happy to send you his contact information.
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR
Old 05-13-2012, 08:39 AM
Freeform rocketry advocate.

Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ

We can chat offline about that and we have also already been in contact. Thanks.
Old 05-13-2012, 11:37 PM
I do not like Facebook

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackshire
I was thinking of air-pressurized water, but the other methods you mentioned (particularly the cartridges of N2O for making whipped cream) would also work. In its simplest form, the SITVC system would have only one valve, which would allow the fluid (water, N2O, CO2, etc.) to flow to the four (fixed) jets, which would be pointed inward and downward toward the motor's exhaust plume. The valve would open at first motion up the launch rod, and the equal flow of fluid from the four jets would act as fixed fins, causing the rocket to fly in the direction it was pointed.

I beg to differ. Four fixed jets flowing at the same and constant rates would cancel each other out and have no effect upon the trajectory, except maybe to attempt to correct any asymmetry in the exhaust plume itself.

Bill

If your June, July, August and September was like this, you might just hate summer too...

Please unload your question before you ask it unless you have a concealed harry permit.

: countdown begin cr dup . 1- ?dup 0= until cr ." Launch!" cr ;

Give a man a rocket and he will fly for a day; teach him to build and he will spend the rest of his days sanding...
Old 05-14-2012, 01:05 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill
I beg to differ. Four fixed jets flowing at the same and constant rates would cancel each other out and have no effect upon the trajectory, except maybe to attempt to correct any asymmetry in the exhaust plume itself.

Bill
You're right--they would result in neutral stability at best. But, an active system (with at minimum one gyroscope mounted perpendicular to the rocket's axis and connected to a valve for each jet) would keep the rocket flying in the direction it was launched.
NAR #54895 SR
Old 05-15-2012, 06:17 AM
MMXCVII

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManofSteele
Big news today!

http://www.libertyspace.us/

ATK Announces Complete Liberty System to Provide Commercial Crew Access

Liberty System Includes Spacecraft, Launch Vehicle, Ground and Mission Ops

Lots of neat stuff in this announcement, including MLAS!

Matt

To sort of bring this thread back to where it started, at the SLI/USLI banquet the speaker was a former astronaut (I forgot his name) who works for ATK. The title on the last slide of his presentation was "Give me Liberty.....". A few of us sitting at the NAR range crew table just looked at each other and said "Or give me death?". I'm not sure that was the message they were trying to convey.
Old 05-17-2012, 10:51 PM
Level 5 Certified

That was Kent Rominger, the Liberty Business Development VP. A great guy who flew the shuttle FIVE times! He is a lot of fun to work and travel with. I am certain he would prefer death instead of being grounded permanently! <g>

Speaking of that, Kent did announce that they had selected the first crew to fly Liberty. I was truly surprised that he said he would not be on the first flight. I am sure he wanted to. I would not be surprised if he sneaks on a later flight. I do know that the commander for the first Liberty flight is an ex-NASA shuttle astronaut.

Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by billspad
To sort of bring this thread back to where it started, at the SLI/USLI banquet the speaker was a former astronaut (I forgot his name) who works for ATK. The title on the last slide of his presentation was "Give me Liberty.....". A few of us sitting at the NAR range crew table just looked at each other and said "Or give me death?". I'm not sure that was the message they were trying to convey.
Old 05-18-2012, 09:47 AM
Freeform rocketry advocate.

Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackshire
Very interesting! Jerry, if you could produce a small, cheap sounding rocket (say, 20 kg to 100 km, at least for a start) powered by one of your scalable hybrid motor designs,
Small is not cheap. Big can be high value and lower cost per delivered mass. Rocketry uses a fixed pool of chemistry and mechanics and does not benefit much from the sizing and cost reductions electronics does. 95% of a rocket is the motor stuff and only 5% is the payload stuff.

One can cut their own throat and reduce profit margin to reduce price, or perhaps save on operational and non-vehicle costs, but even that is very hard to do within the many proscribed procedures NASA and FEDGOV have. As you have seen as a large civil rocketeer, the actual efforts and risks of flying rockets is small and trivial. It is all the procedural crapola NASA and FEDGOV adds that makes rocketry expensive.

Having fired 1" diameter motors and 18" diameter motors (and larger) I can tell you I was only 400 feet farther away for the 18" than the 1". I felt a whole bunch more at risk with the RRI GALCIT motors at Smoke Creek than I did the 18" hybrid at Mojave/Cantil. I was over a mile away from the GALCIT motors.

I would feel perfectly comfortable flying a 3 meter hybrid from Edwards to orbit. Even if it crashed and landed in a Landscatter housing tract, it would at most take out 2-3 houses. About the same as a Cessna.

This is well within mass-market business insurance limits, not special space insurance and treaty obligations measuring in several billions.

Jerry
Old 05-19-2012, 07:36 AM
MMXCVII

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManofSteele
That was Kent Rominger, the Liberty Business Development VP. A great guy who flew the shuttle FIVE times! He is a lot of fun to work and travel with. I am certain he would prefer death instead of being grounded permanently! <g>

He certainly was enthusiastic and his presentation was interesting but it seemed like a sales pitch. I don't think there was anybody in the room in the market to buy one. However, since ATK was paying for our meal and a bunch of other stuff he had my attention. My launch vehicle order will go to the first company that puts fins on their rocket.