Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Plans & Publications
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2019, 11:52 PM
Master Modeler

Default Scans of 2155 Super Nova Payloader?

Scott (and anyone else),

I just bought a Super Nova Payloader off of eBay with the intent to build it. I see that the instructions, the front of the box and the decals (stickers) are on Ye Olde Rocket Plans, but that patterns are shown as needed. Since the model has plastic fins and such, what exactly would you want me to try to scan/photograph before I build this thing?

The fin can is unique in my experience with a push-n-twist motor retainer I’ve not seen anywhere else, and there is a joiner between the two BT-60 body tubes that is reminiscent of the Enerjet 1340 unit in that there’s a small band of body-diameter plastic between the two tubes. In this case it also holds the upper launch lug.

Anyway, what would make sense to document before I start gluing stuff together?
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 10-08-2019, 06:34 AM
BP Mafia

I built this a few years back. Seems to me the fin can was close to that of the D-Region Toma
hawk. Not sure if they're the same, but I can check when I get home.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 10-08-2019, 07:36 AM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC
Scott (and anyone else),

I just bought a Super Nova Payloader off of eBay with the intent to build it. I see that the instructions, the front of the box and the decals (stickers) are on Ye Olde Rocket Plans, but that patterns are shown as needed. Since the model has plastic fins and such, what exactly would you want me to try to scan/photograph before I build this thing?

The fin can is unique in my experience with a push-n-twist motor retainer I’ve not seen anywhere else, and there is a joiner between the two BT-60 body tubes that is reminiscent of the Enerjet 1340 unit in that there’s a small band of body-diameter plastic between the two tubes. In this case it also holds the upper launch lug.

Anyway, what would make sense to document before I start gluing stuff together?

Heh, that was a long time ago that I posted that and I don't recall. If it has a fin can vs individual fins there's not much that can be down pattern-wise.
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 10-08-2019, 11:00 AM
Rusty-eyed Missile Man

Looks like that might the same fin can as the Blue Ninja.
CMASS Member
Old 10-08-2019, 12:14 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltvscout
Heh, that was a long time ago that I posted that and I don't recall. If it has a fin can vs individual fins there's not much that can be down pattern-wise.

They are (at the moment) individual fins.

I've not built a D Region Tomahawk (though there is one in my kit stash, near the bottom) and I am not familiar with the Blue Ninja. I figured these parts had to be used somewhere else. Estes didn't (and still doesn't) create molds for parts and not reuse them at least a little.

Added: after looking at the instructions for both the D-Region and Blue Ninja as posted on the Estes website I would agree that the Blue Ninja probably uses the same fin can, fins, motor retainer and tube coupler. The D-Region Tomahawk may share some of those parts. Unfortunately on the Blue Ninja the whole set of plastic parts is under one part number and the D-Region, even where the parts could be the same (fin can halves, motor retainer) they have different numbers. *sigh*

The Blue Ninja is 14 years more recent....which has some bearing on this I guess.
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 10-08-2019, 06:25 PM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC
They are (at the moment) individual fins.

Then I'd say put one on the scanner bed with a small ruler next to it and scan it when you have time. Thanks!
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 10-08-2019, 07:41 PM
Sometimes collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC
Scott (and anyone else),

I just bought a Super Nova Payloader off of eBay...

...The fin can is unique in my experience with a push-n-twist motor retainer I’ve not seen anywhere else, and there is a joiner between the two BT-60 body tubes that is reminiscent of the Enerjet 1340 unit in that there’s a small band of body-diameter plastic between the two tubes. In this case it also holds the upper launch lug.

I looked at the instructions for the Super Nova Payloader and I am nearly certain that the fin can with the poke and twist retainer ring and tube coupler were also used in the Liquidator from 2006, only the fins are a different shape.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  94E5091E-EFDC-4322-8D4E-F64B5B8E3894.jpeg
Views: 23
Size:  458.8 KB  
Old 10-08-2019, 07:54 PM
Master Modeler

Based on that picture, I'd agree...many of the same parts, different color.

Scott, I'll scan that fin then before I glue the parts together. You already have a good-looking scan of the decals (well, stickers, really) though it doesn't have a ruler in it. The sheet is almost a full 8 1/2 x 11 so I expect it will print the right size. But I can scan that, too while I'm at it. Do you want me to just post the scans here, or will you want to put them with the rest of the info?
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 10-08-2019, 09:38 PM
Too Many Initiators is Never Enough

I have assembled a Super Nova Payloader, Blue Ninja and Liquidator.

All use the same fin can.

The Super Nova Payloader and Blue Ninja use the same plastic fins. The Liquidator fins are different.

I think the Firebolt (Kit # 1956) used the same fin can but different fins.
Old 10-08-2019, 11:26 PM
Master Modeler

Bob, it certainly looks like that one (Firebolt #1956) also uses the same fin can and several of the other same plastic parts based on a look at the posted instructions.

This thread has at least taught me about several models I hadn't really paid attention to before.
AMA 42160
KG7AIE