Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Rocket Boosted Gliders
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2021, 05:01 PM
Craftsman

Default F-117 R/C rocket glider

Here is something I did over the weekend, I modified some pdf plans from rcpowers that were done back in the mid 2000 era, to remove the prop/slot design, update the upper shrouds to use 3mm instead of 6mm, updated the slot sizes accordingly and tweaked the rear shroud to extend and add in the motor mount and a hatch under the nose instead of the flip up access they had for hand launching. Turned out very nicely and flies like a dream. I did it in a flag scheme documented in F-117 in action that was never photographed, slightly different than the one in photos since released, not sure if that was a different bird or not. In any case, I made a template for cutting the stars out, but got tired after 30 so did not put all 50 in there The vinyl added 1/2 ounce to the weight but gives some road rash protection. Approx 1/20 scale, 39" long, 25.5" wingspan 12 oz rtf using an E-6. There are 9 total pieces of 6mm and 3mm depron from rcdepron.com Top is painted using Testors flat black spray.

I left the elevon design like originally done in the plans and did not use any surfaces on the V tail and it worked out very nicely. It looks great overhead and turning to final and flare where you get that characteristic side view.

As a reference for size, the north coast pop pod free flight kit is 23" long and 19" wingspan and also 12 oz rtf, but of course mine does not drop a pod, but the extra size keep wing loading slow so it doesn't really need that for my model. Took about 10 hours to put together including printing/taping plans and thinking about how to modify them and test fitting for the alterations and 3mm upper plates.

Enjoy the flights.

https://youtu.be/Bbpy4E_Xqbo

Frank
Old 05-17-2021, 12:52 AM
Craftsman

Another launch from this weekend in the Tri-Cities Washington

https://youtu.be/ALZuFEeAnQE