Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Mission Control
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2019, 03:33 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

Stefan,

That Saturn 1B flight was nice! I’ve got both the Semroc and Apogee 1/70 Saturn 1B kits. I really need to build one, and think it’ll be the Semroc first. I so want to cluster it. I’ve got the Apogee Capsule kit for it. Maybe I’ll try to build the kit’s capsule for grins. Well, maybe not grins. More like for penance.

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp
Old 07-21-2019, 03:41 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeR
Stefan,

That Saturn 1B flight was nice! I’ve got both the Semroc and Apogee 1/70 Saturn 1B kits. I really need to build one, and think it’ll be the Semroc first. I so want to cluster it. I’ve got the Apogee Capsule kit for it. Maybe I’ll try to build the kit’s capsule for grins. Well, maybe not grins. More like for penance.

That's for sure - Alex Juchems gave me a bit of a tour of the bits he had to fabricate for the the Semroc 1/70th 1B....even the CM's RCS quads are built from little bits of sharpened dowel (for each nozzle) and a balsa block. That makes dealing with the molded RCS quads on the 1/100 Saturn V look so simple by comparison.

He didn't get the LES tower built but of course the model didn't mind.
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 07-22-2019, 09:39 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
Nice flights...that Saturn 1b scoots pretty good. I assume that was a four C6 cluster? A very audible 'sigh of relief' on the video clip! I assume that was you?

Good flights and thanks for sharing! I did not get a chance to fly anything, so it was good to see other's flights at least.

Earl

I had flown the Saturn 1b twice before (4 x B6-4, 4 x C6-5) successfully before, but since then I finally went through the trouble of a) making the escape tower, b) assembling, painting, and applying the fiddly bits like the antenna panels and attitude jets, c) PAINTING the model.

I also had to make a repair, or reinforcement: There was a slight wobble between the fuel tank cluster and the upper section. So I punched holes in the bulkhead in front of the tanks, and epoxied four little dowels through the holes and into the ditch between the tubes. These were covered by the antenna panels.

So there was even more invested in it. (Although I didn't fly it with the escape tower!) I was as nervous AF, as the kids say. I pictured the totally-possible scenario of only two (or one!) model igniting and spinning.

As it was . . . yes, a really zoomy and smoky flight, with a soft landing in the grass. Not a scratch on it.

I have the Apogee 1/70th Saturns and will build them eventually.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  tower_primed.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  841.3 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  antenna_yellow.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  991.4 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  repair_done.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  1.10 MB  
NAR #27085 - Oregon Rocketry - SAM
Old 07-24-2019, 10:10 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC
That's for sure - Alex Juchems gave me a bit of a tour of the bits he had to fabricate for the the Semroc 1/70th 1B....even the CM's RCS quads are built from little bits of sharpened dowel (for each nozzle) and a balsa block. That makes dealing with the molded RCS quads on the 1/100 Saturn V look so simple by comparison.

He didn't get the LES tower built but of course the model didn't mind.

I saw Alex’s Semroc 1B build on of of the FB Rocketry groups. I commented that I thought he’d done a really nice job.

I started looking at the instructions tonight. I think I’ll start working on the built-up fins first. I probably ought to start on the RCS quads. Those could take awhile to complete!

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp