Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Forum Information, Rules, Etc
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-05-2006, 02:22 PM
Master Modeler

Default Groundhog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreadvector
I ran into Jon Robbins at Mile Square Park in Fountain Valley in the late 1980's or early 1990's. I can't remember exactly when. He came over to me with his kids all excited because he saw me launch and fly perfectly a Groundhog 16. From a distance it looked like something similar to what he had been telling his kids about, but when he got up close he realized it was exactly what he was talking about (except I used burned string instead of piston/wire wing release).

He was working out of his house doing engineering design work.

I see no sign of him on the web.

I've always been fascinated by Robbins' Groundhog designs since I saw it in the Model Rocketry magazines in the early 1970's. Ever since then, I've been wanting to build a
contest version to use at the several "regularily scheduled" NAR Regional meets held
in the Houston area yearly. John Pursley gave me a large box of balsa fin stock he didn't want anymore (weighs about 30 pounds!), and from it, I should have no problem building
on a number of projects over the next few (?) years, including an 18 mm Groundhog. But,
as long as my current boost & rocketgliders are still in good shape and performing well
(and, I might add, winning), I'll be sticking with them (including an upscaled CMR Buzzard
and original vintage Manta). As many of you know, the BG & RG events are where the
"big" points are.

Sure wish Jon Robbins could join us on this and other forums...