Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2014, 06:52 AM
Dazed and Confused

There was a large and detailed build thread from a few years ago where SEMROC supplied a bunch of kits to be built to use as centerpieces at a big Launch shindig. It's sticked in the projects section.

IIRC, it deals with all sorts of stuff including shroud alignment issues, extra detailing, etc.

http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/show...ighlight=saturn

Old 06-16-2014, 05:37 PM
Old and in the way

It was back in 2008 to celebrate the 40th anniversary of Apollo 7 (SA-205).
Thirty-some models were built in secrecy by people all over the country and shipped to Texas for a surprise luncheon for Walt Cunningham.
The event was coordinated by SEMROC, LAUNCH magazine and Walt's wife Dot among others.
Each builder was sent an S-1b kit (with an Apogee capsule replacing the SEMROC one) to build.
There is a limited access section within the 'Work Bench' section containing a dozen threads dealing with the build as it was ongoing. At the time, secrecy was necessary to maintain the surprise. Perhaps access could be opened to non participants now.

Attendees included Apollo astronauts Neil Armstrong, Buzz Aldrin, Alan Bean and Bill Anders,
NASA Administrator Mike Griffin, Flight Controller Gene Kranz and space shuttle astronauts Rick Hauck and Jim Reilly.
Appearing by videotape were President Bush and his father, George H.W. Bush. Also sending videotaped greetings was the crew of the ISS.

Here is a related thread that isn't restricted:
http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/show...34&page=1&pp=10

Here are some photos originally posted by John Dyer, I'll try to add more later.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Carl, Mark, and John.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  281.7 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Paying Homage to history - Apollo7 capsule and project Saturn.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  278.1 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  View from above 1.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  246.6 KB  
Old 06-25-2014, 08:33 PM
Master Modeler

I have a quick favor to ask of someone who has a Semroc or Estes Saturn 1b handy.

I need to cut out the attitude control jets for the CM. I have the Estes plan, but I'm not sure if the scaling of the hardcopy is correct.

To judge from the "ACTUAL SIZE" drawing, the box is just a hair under 1/4" x 1/8". I believe, but am not sure, that the balsa stock is 3/32. (I can't find any record for BF-29.)

I would be grateful if someone could reality-check this by measuring the box on their finished model.

I have a bunch of 1/8" dowels and a pencil sharpener standing by the really tricky bit, cutting those nozzles!

I will probably assemble, fill, and paint the assemblies and glue them on after applying the decal-wrap I picked up from Excelsior (?) a few years back.

Thanks -- Stefan.
NAR #27085 - Oregon Rocketry - SAM
Old 06-25-2014, 08:44 PM
Old Submariner

PM sent.

4 out of 3 people struggle with math.

Chemically, alcohol IS a solution.

NAR# 94042
SAM# 0078