Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Building Techniques
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2008, 07:12 AM
GET GOONY!!

Default Old Krylon

OK, So I hate they new stuff. Enough has already been said about its shortcomings.

What I have started doing is stocking up on the old stuff.

All of the Walmarts in my area have the new formula, except for odd satin and pastel/designer colors.

I had better luck at K-mart. I have 2 K-marts that are about a mile or so from a Walmart, so no one shops there!! I was able to load up at one K-mart, buying all of therir white primer and gloss white.

I will also be checking the one or two Mom and Pop hardware stores in the area.

Does anyone have any idea how long a can of Krylon will be good for? Can I use it after 2/5/10 years?

Phred

GET GOONY!!
Old 08-14-2008, 09:41 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

I have old cans of odd colors of Krylon that are at least 15+ years old that I still use when I need those specific colors.
I have plenty of spray cans (as well as cases of pints for my airbrush) of Aero Gloss dope and Pactra 'namel that are from the 70's that are still good as well.
As long as the valve does not leak, and you don't freeze the cans, the shelf life is almost unlimited.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 08-14-2008, 10:27 AM
Master Modeler

They will last a long time. I bought all the Krylon in my area, and have enough to last a long time. This picture is a little old because now all the shelves are full with Krylon.
Old 08-14-2008, 11:30 AM
GET GOONY!!

I am moving in this direction myself.....

Ph

GET GOONY!!
Old 08-17-2008, 11:30 AM
GET GOONY!!

OK, I visited a bunch of stores yesterday while I took my wife shopping. Here are some tips for finding old Krylon:

1) Go to K-mart, esp a K-mart that is within a few miles of a Walmart. I found most of my old Krylon at several K-marts in the area.

2) Check 'Mom and Pop' hardware stores. This is the second best plac I found for old Krylon.

3) Sears: almost no one buys spray paint at Sears. I found a good supply at both Sears I visited.

4) Other non-national department stores.

5) Check Michaels, Jo-Ann fabrics, and other craft stores. Who goes there to buy spray paint? I found red at Michaels, which I was unable to find almost anywhere else. USE THOSE COUPONS!!

6) Wal-mart: sells a lot of paint, and I almost never found old Krylon. Is is worth a check if you are there to buy other stuff.

7) Target: In my area does not handle spray paint, not sure about other areas of the US.

Good luck on your search!!

GET GOONY!!
Old 08-18-2008, 01:19 AM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Talking

I too, found red hard to come by. Go figure.

One thing to remember is some facilities don't rotate stock properly.

I had cleaned out a local Wal-Mart of basic colors I wanted, only getting a dozen cans or so. A couple weeks later I cruised down the paint aisle (now a regular habit) and found a six-pack of old formula "Banner Red". Happy Happy, Joy Joy! Almost started crying right there.

Dropping in Wal-Marts and Hardware stores while traveling has been helpful. I think I'm set for a while.

We had some friends over this weekend and while in my work area my wife opened up a cabinet to show them my stash(~40 cans). Ha-Ha........ yes folks, I am a freak. I didn't even bother explaining, they've come to expect "strange behaviour" from me. I did tell them not to bother asking to use any. I didn't even know my wife was aware of my paint stash. Now it has to go under lock and key......
Old 08-18-2008, 02:36 AM
Forest Sprite

Quote:
Originally Posted by scigs30
They will last a long time. I bought all the Krylon in my area, and have enough to last a long time. This picture is a little old because now all the shelves are full with Krylon.

AH-HA! So THAT's where all of the remaining worldwide stock of OF Krylon went!

Hoarder!

Mark \\.

P.S. And that had better be all for your own use! I don't want to hear that you are offering to sell some of it - for the "quite reasonable" price of $49.95 per can... (Just kidding!!)
Mark S. Kulka NAR #86134 L1,_ASTRE #471_Adirondack Mountains, NY
Opinions Unfettered by Logic • Advice Unsullied by Erudition • Rocketry Without Pity
+09281962-TAK-08272007+
SAM # 0011
Old 08-21-2008, 12:19 PM
5-cent Sugar Rocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by scigs30

Is that one of those Target storage cabinets or something from a hardware/home store?
Old 08-21-2008, 02:21 PM
BAR Wannabee

Send a message via MSN to JRThro Send a message via Yahoo to JRThro

Quote:
Originally Posted by excelsior_rocketry
Here are some tips for finding old Krylon:

1) Go to K-mart, esp a K-mart that is within a few miles of a Walmart. I found most of my old Krylon at several K-marts in the area.
2) Check 'Mom and Pop' hardware stores. This is the second best plac I found for old Krylon.
3) Sears: almost no one buys spray paint at Sears. I found a good supply at both Sears I visited.
4) Other non-national department stores.
5) Check Michaels, Jo-Ann fabrics, and other craft stores. Who goes there to buy spray paint? I found red at Michaels, which I was unable to find almost anywhere else. USE THOSE COUPONS!!
6) Wal-mart: sells a lot of paint, and I almost never found old Krylon. Is is worth a check if you are there to buy other stuff.
7) Target: In my area does not handle spray paint, not sure about other areas of the US.

1) K-mart - All K-marts in Houston closed a year or two ago.
2) 'Mom and Pop' hardware stores. - Good idea. There's an ACE hardware store a couple of miles from my house.
3) Sears - Another good idea that I never would have thought of.
4)
5) Michaels, Jo-Ann fabrics, etc. - I have bought old Krylon at Michael's and Hobby Lobby after the formula changed.
6) Wal-mart - I don't think they sell Krylon.
7) Target - No spray paint here.
John Thro, NAR #84553 SR
I was too old when I started! Now I'll *never* become a BAR!
Old 08-21-2008, 11:08 PM
Craftsman

Thanks for the Sears tip -- it was golden. I hit the local 'Sears Grand' picked up several cans of old formula Krylon Gloss White, Glass Black, Banner Red, and Pumpkin Orange. Also grabbed the last can of Blue, one Burgundy, one Fluorescent Orange, and one H2O Sun Yellow (is the H2O stuff any good? -- they didn't have the regular Yellow). The Black, Red, Orange, and Blue all came up on some king of clearance at 97 cents a can!!!

The selection was kind of weak, but it was a good find, especially with the clearance price.