Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2005, 09:10 PM
Master Modeler

Send a message via Yahoo to barone

Al, you and Steve both look like you're launching out of back yards.....I don't see how you guys got your rockets back......

Don
NAR 53455
Old 10-05-2005, 09:15 PM
AL Swackhammer , power freak

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by barone
Al, you and Steve both look like you're launching out of back yards.....I don't see how you guys got your rockets back......

Don
NAR 53455

well.... it's actually my cousins front yard, lol .. and the actual field / recovery area is behind the camera.

and we did NOT get it back , lol :-)

~ AL
Old 10-05-2005, 09:42 PM
The_Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by barone

Don
NAR 53455

Don I launched that one from a baseball field at a small playground, way too small of a launch area. I used most of that 20 foot CMR Alum Mylar streamer that is shown hanging in my closet in one of my other pics for that flight. I tightly folded as much as I could fit in that small airframe and cut off the rest. I didn't really expect to get it back but I did. With the streamer deployed at apogee you could barely see the streamer glitter like a small spec in the sky.

Nice pic Al I see you used your little chrome "Fly with FSI" stickers on yours too
SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Paint & Detail: USR Banshee
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
🚀 In Repair: SLS Lil’ Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart 1969 Trim
🚀 Stay Tuned For Fall 2021 Launch Dates
Old 10-06-2005, 08:11 AM
AL Swackhammer , power freak

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaquin
Nice pic Al I see you used your little chrome "Fly with FSI" stickers on yours too

Yep :-)

I have the chrome sticker on my new dart (as yet unflown,as I do not have any FSI engines or the booster- and have seen no need to fly it,when I have a hundred others to chose, lol )

might grab a pic o fthat and my Sprint next time I;m out to my dad's ( my fleet is all there, due to no room in the 1 bedroom apartment, can build here on a card table in the living room (wife's impressed, lol ), but not much staroge, so I'm gratiously allowed to have them all set up in my old room at my parents * grin*, along with all my HPR stuff, motors, storage magazine,etc... makes for inconvenient when going out to fly, but it;s only 10-15 minutes away, so what can you do :-)

~ AL
Old 10-06-2005, 04:01 PM
The_Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Dragon
Yep :-)

I have the chrome sticker on my new dart (as yet unflown,as I do not have any FSI engines or the booster- and have seen no need to fly it,when I have a hundred others to chose, lol )

~ AL

You may consider building a "look alike" booster for your new Dart. In high school when I flew my first two stage Dart it didn't take long to realize I wouldn't be able to shell out the bucks for the complete system every time. What I did was cut some spare HRT-10 tube just slightly shorter than the actual length of an F100. I then cut some HRT-8 tube to the exact length of the F100 and used the FSI centering rings to fit the HRT-8 into the HRT-10. One ring was flush with the front of the HRT-10 and one flush with the rear. I then built up a little glue and filler on the front centering ring where the extra little HRT-8 stuck up to form the rounded part like the F100 in the system. I used D18-0 in the booster and whatever FSI D's I wanted to in the Dart. I guess the same could be done today with 24mm tubing to use the Estes D12-0 in the booster. It won't kick like the F100 but at least you can fly it two stage (and possibly get it back)

I had posted a RockSim file on EMRR a while back if you need the booster fin pattern.

http://www.rocketreviews.com/cgi-bi...?mach+1+dart#RS

SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Paint & Detail: USR Banshee
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
🚀 In Repair: SLS Lil’ Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart 1969 Trim
🚀 Stay Tuned For Fall 2021 Launch Dates

Last edited by snaquin : 10-07-2005 at 03:12 PM.