Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2020, 11:35 AM
Dazed and Confused

Default Saturn Quarterly Report

The Marshall Space Flight Center produced these quarterly reports on the development of the Saturn family of vehicles. Some reports include progress of facilities and test stand construction along with other stuff that was integral to the success of the program.

This is report #25, Sept 1965, which gives an overview of the progress and success of the ten Saturn 1's (block 1 and 2) along with progress on 1B construction and testing. If you haven't seen them and like historical docs, this series is for you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwfukXJEn4c

Old 03-02-2020, 01:30 PM
Apollo Nut

These are a very interesting series of reports on the Saturn/Apollo work back during those days. I've not seen all of them, but over the years have viewed a good handful.

They make a good 'visual' pairing with the NASA History Series books "Stages to Saturn" and "Moonport", both of which are very good histories in and of themselves. I especially enjoyed "Moonport".

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 03-02-2020, 01:45 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
These are a very interesting series of reports on the Saturn/Apollo work back during those days. I've not seen all of them, but over the years have viewed a good handful.

They make a good 'visual' pairing with the NASA History Series books "Stages to Saturn" and "Moonport", both of which are very good histories in and of themselves. I especially enjoyed "Moonport".

Earl

I love that you see some of the "behind the scenes stuff. Another thing I like is the images and video that actually go with the subject they talk about. No more shots of Titans when talking about Saturns or Gemini re-entries when they are talking about boost phases, etc.
Old 03-02-2020, 01:57 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
I love that you see some of the "behind the scenes stuff. Another thing I like is the images and video that actually go with the subject they talk about. No more shots of Titans when talking about Saturns or Gemini re-entries when they are talking about boost phases, etc.

Yeah, that kind of stuff is most fascinating, since much of this type of footage never made it out to the public: some of it was 'sensitive', other parts were considered too 'boring' for the public. But, if you are a student of the history of the Apollo program, stuff like this is an absolute treasure chest of footage and images 'as it happened'. GSE tests for the Saturn V swing arms and such as that at Marshall were particularly interesting in one I saw some years ago, and the periodic coverage of the construction of Complex 39 at KSC was very interesting.

The facilities built to handle the Saturn V construction, checkout, and flight at the various NASA centers was nothing short of incredible.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970