Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Current Kit Talk
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2007, 07:38 AM
Dazed and Confused

Default New Red Max Blues

My son finally got his new Red Max kit, but was extremely disappointed that the decals did not include the white X882, nor the white hands and feet for the nosecone.
Old 08-20-2007, 07:49 AM
German Model Rocket Builder

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
..., nor the white hands and feet for the nosecone.

They are missing too!?

My rocket fleet and more @ Leo's Leisure Site and on YouTube - My latest project: ALTDuino
Old 08-20-2007, 10:07 AM
Dazed and Confused

That's what he told me. He disappeared to the rocket building room with it, so I haven't laid eyes on the contents yet. You said "too" as if something else is missing. ??????
Old 08-20-2007, 10:24 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
My son finally got his new Red Max kit, but was extremely disappointed that the decals did not include the white X882, nor the white hands and feet for the nosecone.

It looks like whoever re-desinged the decals didn't pay attention and on top of that either Estes has no Quality Assurance program or the one they do have doesn't work.

Something strange though. I went out to Jim Z's and the decal set there doesn't have the X882 from what I can see. I cloned the DER Red Max last year and ordered from Excelsior Rocetry and that set did have it. I wonder if Estes copied the decal set from Jim Z's...???
Old 08-20-2007, 10:58 AM
German Model Rocket Builder

Quote:
That's what he told me. He disappeared to the rocket building room with it, so I haven't laid eyes on the contents yet. You said "too" as if something else is missing. ??????

In addition to your quote in my reply I knew beforehand the X882 was missing

I just checked my original Red Max decal that I have lying around and it has all the parts including the X882. And my built Red Max also has it. Wonder why they didn't include all parts of the decal in the new release

My rocket fleet and more @ Leo's Leisure Site and on YouTube - My latest project: ALTDuino
Old 08-20-2007, 11:06 AM
Dazed and Confused

It makes me think that they just scanned an old decal for their new production in China and the solid white ones didnt show up....and the person who did it wasn't paying attention.
Old 08-20-2007, 11:15 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
It makes me think that they just scanned an old decal for their new production in China and the solid white ones didnt show up....and the person who did it wasn't paying attention.

Good assumption, makes sense to me.
Old 08-20-2007, 11:24 AM
Administrator

I got the impression from Roguepink that the decals are all new for the re-releases. He said he had made the decals for the Interceptors.
Old 08-20-2007, 01:45 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle3
I got the impression from Roguepink that the decals are all new for the re-releases. He said he had made the decals for the Interceptors.

Could have...like Kurt S. who redrew many of his .pdf decals based on scans of the originals.
Old 08-20-2007, 11:19 PM
Rocket Junkie

Default Also disappointed...

I too was disappointed in the new Red Max'es decals. For starters, as everyone else already knows, the "X882" is missing. The white "Mitt Grabben" and "Nicht Stompen" hand and feet decals are missing.

One thing I have noticed that I have not seen mentioned yet is the black foot "Nicht Stompen" decal is also screwed up. Look at it close and it's like the letter "M" in "Stompen" separated and it's spelled "Nicht Stoivien"

Anyone else notice that? I applaud Estes for giving us this kit, along with waterslides, but they really screwed these decals up bad. This rocket is all about the decals! How did they mess this up so bad?

I have not applied mine yet, but I'm sure they also have the "white shadow" problem that others have reported.