Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Kit Collecting
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2021, 03:25 PM
Long time rocketeer since 1964

Default Is it OK to be unfaithful ?

I understand the love and desire and loyalty to various old rocket models and to our favorite old rocket companies. But is it OK to fall in love with clones of the old models we recall as our first ? Is it unfaithful to say , "Hey, I like the Semroc clones and I am going to collect the Semroc and other versions of the old models we started with" ? It is as if we transfer our worship for the old models onto the new and AVAILABLE versions. No doubt we would all jump at the chance to purchase a genuine old kit but they are becoming more scarce and more expensive.

Actually I was not paying attention when Semroc was out with models that now are out of production. I would love to find a Semroc version of the original Estes Scrambler and also some Centuri-Enerjet rockets. I also wish Estes would manufacture stuff like the Maxi and Super Alpha, Scrambler, X-Ray, and others and even go as far as to upsize all of them. But then again I see no reason why Chevrolet can't produce and sell 57 Chevies again. I would buy one if they would.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  centuri Hustler.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  47.1 KB  
Old 01-05-2021, 03:43 PM
rocket dinosaur

Smile

yes it is ok. Most of us have to make due with clones as the original are only affordable by the few.

And unfortunately for most of us, that is us.

with that said......UpScales of some of their old classics like an X-Ray suitable for F engines I think would be cool. Why manufacture EF engines if you offer only a very few models capable of using the EF ?

My X-Ray Story:

One of my first model rockets was an X-Ray. Why ? to stick bugs inside the clear plastic payload section and see if they survived or not.

One night some friend and I decided to tape together a light bulb with a couple of batteries, placed it the clear payload section and launched it at night, figuring with the light we would be able to track it as it came down. Wrong. The acceleration loosened the tape job and the light went out. Oh well... back to the drawing board.... Hey I was 13.....give me a break...

Needless to say I never did find that rocket again.
Old 01-05-2021, 03:52 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by shockwaveriderz
yes it is ok. Most of us have to make due with clones as the original are only affordable by the few.

with that said......UpScales of some of their old classics like an X-Ray suitable for F engines I think would be cool. Why manufacture EF engines if you offer only a very few models capable of using the EF ?

My X-Ray Story:

One of my first model rockets was an X-Ray. Why ? to stick bugs inside the clear plastic payload section and see if they survived or not.

One night some friend and I decided to tape together a light bulb with a couple of batteries, placed it the clear payload section and launched it at night, figuring with the light we would be able to track it as it came down. Wrong. The acceleration loosened the tape job and the light went out. Oh well... back to the drawing board.... Hey I was 13.....give me a break...

I was 16 and found everything but the nose cone and the ball bearing. Something about the X-Ray that just encourages bad ideas.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 01-05-2021, 06:36 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
I was 16 and found everything but the nose cone and the ball bearing. Something about the X-Ray that just encourages bad ideas.

I was 13 and got stung by the very upset bee that I set free after his flight
In finishing: Centuri Sabre clone
In primer:
In paint:
Ready for decals:

Bill Cooke
NAR #31312
TRA #19705
SAM #0001
Huntsville, AL

My rocket blog
My rocket fleet
Old 01-05-2021, 06:38 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanel

That'll learn ya!

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Old 01-05-2021, 08:07 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

That'd be a DEAD BEE.

I believe in the "Starship Troopers" mantra ; a Good Bug is a DEAD BUG.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 01-05-2021, 11:18 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

Quote:
Originally Posted by shockwaveriderz

My X-Ray Story:

My current upscale project is an upscale X-Ray. It was started over 20 years ago by a good friend. He got out of rocketry, and last year was looking thru his attic and pulled it down for me. I have replaced the “too-long” heavy HPR nose cone with a Big Daddy nose cone, and shortened the clear payload and main tube to be exact scale-ups. (I think he lengthened everything due to that original nose cone.)

I stripped off the 3/8” launch lug and standoff and will conver to rail guides.

Pictured next to an in-progress Estes Phoenix. (This X-Ray will take more than an F, it has a 38mm motor mount.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  B1508A71-546F-4B90-B715-7EF893485B57.jpeg
Views: 99
Size:  1.37 MB  

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp
Old 01-05-2021, 11:35 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

That upscale X-Ray will need at least a big G if not an H to fly decently.
I wouldn't try anything below a G64.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 01-06-2021, 05:03 AM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeR
My current upscale project is an upscale X-Ray. It was started over 20 years ago by a good friend. He got out of rocketry, and last year was looking thru his attic and pulled it down for me. I have replaced the “too-long” heavy HPR nose cone with a Big Daddy nose cone, and shortened the clear payload and main tube to be exact scale-ups. (I think he lengthened everything due to that original nose cone.)

I stripped off the 3/8” launch lug and standoff and will conver to rail guides.

Pictured next to an in-progress Estes Phoenix. (This X-Ray will take more than an F, it has a 38mm motor mount.)

Has to be close to 5' tall?

I miss being SAM 0058

Old 01-06-2021, 07:49 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanel

I was disappointed my bug astronauts never came back mutated by the high G forces and super launch speeds. That sting COULD have given you super bee powers or turned you half bee half boy. Hey, I was only 11 back then.