Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Swap Shoppe > Wanted: Dead or Alive!
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2020, 04:38 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
Yes, I have found quite often things changed with a kit during its run,

The Taurus may be the best example with the long vs short pod cones.
Old 04-25-2020, 05:43 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
The Taurus may be the best example with the long vs short pod cones.

And the weird thing about that nose cone change (and you are right: that is one of the more well known examples of changes to a kit ‘mid stream’), is that the original longer pod cone was NOT discontinued when they changed the pod cones to that stumpy PNC-51 cone...the same cone used on the Two Bitz.

That longer pod cone continued to be used in other Centuri kits like the SSV Scorpion Super kit and the Laser-X for years AFTER the change was made to the Taurus kit.

So, not sure why the pod cones were changed on the Taurus, because it sure looks much better with the longer PNC-54 pod cone.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 04-25-2020, 08:35 PM
Sometimes collector

I like the shorter cones, but then it’s what my original came with so I’m biased.
Old 04-26-2020, 05:57 AM
Seagulls Beware...

Ok, working on the sim of the Centuri version, and I find myself needing some more info. How thick are the fins? How long is the launch lug? Also, how long is the body tube, shock cord, and streamer?

Thanks!

Dreaming of making the rockets I dreamed of as a kid (and then some).

"The Guide says there is an art to flying", said Ford, "or rather a knack."
"The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

Launching is Optional... Landing? That Depends on Trees.

Last edited by K'Tesh : 04-26-2020 at 06:35 AM.
Old 04-26-2020, 09:57 AM
Apollo Nut

My physical kit is not handy to make direct measurements of some of the parts, but the launch lug looks like it is 3/16" by 3" long (as opposed to a 1/8" lug). The streamer material is 2" wide. As for how long, I do not know, but Centuri was typically fairly generous with streamer material; most of the time they supplied enough for multiple replacements. So, if you figured a 25-30" long streamer, you'd be safe. Probably enough shock cord material for a 20" shock cord.

Fins are probably 3/32" thickness, but maybe David can verify from his built model. If I can grab mine sometime here out of its storage container and take these direct measurements I will.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Old 04-26-2020, 10:54 AM
When Pigs Fly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
And the weird thing about that nose cone change (and you are right: that is one of the more well known examples of changes to a kit ‘mid stream’), is that the original longer pod cone was NOT discontinued when they changed the pod cones to that stumpy PNC-51 cone...the same cone used on the Two Bitz.
That longer pod cone continued to be used in other Centuri kits like the SSV Scorpion Super kit and the Laser-X for years AFTER the change was made to the Taurus kit.
So, not sure why the pod cones were changed on the Taurus, because it sure looks much better with the longer PNC-54 pod cone.
Earl

The discontinued nose cones might have had something to do with the "snap-in" shoulder base.
Centuri had to add an addendum to the kit instructions explaining how to either snap in or glue the base into the nose cone.
The shorter nose cones were more prone to cracking when snapping in the shoulder.
The shorter cones might have been kept in some designs that didn't require the snap in base.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Centuri NC Shoulder.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  367.2 KB  

www.oddlrockets.com
www.modelrocketbuilding.blogspot.com
http://www.nar.org/educational-reso...ing-techniques/
Your results may vary
"Nose cones roll, be careful with that."
Every spaceman needs a ray gun.
Look out - I'm the Meister Shyster!
Old 04-26-2020, 08:38 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Here is the measurements on my example. Your mileage may vary.
Fin thickness 3/32.
Launch lug length 3".
Body tube length 17 15/16"
Shock cord at rest, 14" approx.
Streamer is 2"x 96" long. (I used all that was provided in the kit to make one very long streamer)
I am sure the body tube was supposed to be 18", but it is a 1/16" short.

Hope this helps.
David

Old 04-27-2020, 10:28 AM
Seagulls Beware...

Talking

Thanks for all the help on this one guys!

Like you said David, it's likely supposed to be an 18" tube, and the part number jives with that. For that reason, I decided to keep the "stock" length.

I used Earl's decals to make the markings on the sim, but I "cleaned" them up to eliminate the .jpg artifacts that were in the image. That said, they are pretty much as they'd be for his kit. The reason I mention that, is that the orange and red section of the name decal is wider than the orange and red decal behind it. If you look carefully at the face card image, you'll see this. However, the instructions showed a gap between the two decals, and I opted to go with that. Also, surprisingly the red and orange stripes are not a consistent width. They actually bow out in the middle, and are wider on the tail end than the front end. I "straightened" them out (eliminating the bow), but kept the overall width increase. An actual builder could do the same just by using a straight edge, and an Xacto knife to cut them out.
Attached Files
File Type: ork Centuri Magnum Sprint (5356).ork (60.1 KB, 9 views)

Dreaming of making the rockets I dreamed of as a kid (and then some).

"The Guide says there is an art to flying", said Ford, "or rather a knack."
"The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

Launching is Optional... Landing? That Depends on Trees.

Last edited by K'Tesh : 04-27-2020 at 10:56 AM.
Old 04-29-2020, 10:27 PM
Apollo Nut

Just happened to see an Estes Sea Strike D listed on eBay earlier tonight. I looked a little closer at the upper stage and said to myself “Self, that Sea Strike D upper stage sure do look a lot like the Centuri Magnum Sprint!”.

Compared fin layouts from the Estes Sea Strike plans here on YORF, and while there is no ruler in those plans, the fins sure do look the same as the Sprint and the body tube is the same. The Sea Strike uses the more rounded nose cone and of course different paint job, but all-in-all it appears to be the same design.

I see the Sea Strike was available from ‘80-‘82, while the Centuri Magnum Sprint appeared in the ‘82 and ‘83 catalogs. Of course by these years Centuri was a PO Box in Penrose.

Maybe the fact that the Magnum Sprint is shown with the rounded nose cone in the instructions and face card art is that the basic kit design was drawn from the Sea Strike. Something to muse over possibly....

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions