Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Vendors
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2013, 08:03 PM
Rocket Huckster

Glad to say I met him once a few years back, he helped get Uncle Mikes started over 10 years ago. A sad day indeed.

God speed Carl you will truly be missed.
Low Prices, Fast Delivery. The Webs #1 Rocket Shop

YORF the rocketry forum where vendors can actually post in the vendors section.

TRF Banned and proud

Uncle Mikes Rocket Shack

Any Questions/Comments Click To Email Us
Old 08-12-2013, 08:11 PM
Master Modeler

I finally met Carl and Sheryl at NARAM this year and only spoke to them for a short time. I thought, apparently like a lot of other posters here, that there would be more time to tap his knowledge and wisdom.

To Sheryl, my heartfelt condolences. I am sure as I look to the heavens this evening that there will be a star shining even more brightly then usual down upon all of us. I shall offer a prayer and thanks that he was here with us for a time, but find joy in the fact that his memory will be cherished and revered for a lot longer.

God bless.

Starport Sagitta Rockets
email bherman@sagittarockets.com

NAR # 97971 SR

What's your idea on the best way to change Washington D.C.?
Let us know at the Cantina
Sagitta Cantina

We're looking for a few good Catos, please tell us about any you may have had. Survey of Anecdotal Malfunctioning Engines or S.A.M.E.
Old 08-12-2013, 08:16 PM
BAR

Truly stunned and saddened by this terrible news... My deepest condolences to the McLawhorn family... Carl was truly one of the GREATS of this hobby, and the kind of person that restored one's faith in human decency. Just one of the best guys, the best FAMILIES, that you'd ever meet... You could tell what a true team effort Semroc is, by the way Carl and Sheryl were when you met them... just wonderful people!

I had the pleasure of meeting Carl and Sheryl at NSL (2007 IIRC) in Muncie, Indiana... I had my 2 teenage nephews with me; we'd driven down from their home in north central Indiana for the day... First time I'd ever been to a national event of any type. While we were there, the boy's mom had given us another task-- find them suitable rocket kits for the 4H fair Aerospace competition. We looked a lit of different stuff by various vendors, and ended up at the Semroc booth. I explained what we were after, and Carl and Sheryl started talking to the boys about what sort of kits interested them... They really drew them out, because the boys weren't doing much talking... their mom had given the boys a pretty good chunk of money to buy kits, and kids are kids-- they wanted THE most complex and expensive kits that they could lay their hands on, despite their lack of skill to be able to complete such a kit and do a good job on it for the competition. Carl and Sheryl COULD have just sold them the kits and grabbed their money, but they didn't-- they took the time to question the boys about what kinds of kits they built before, what sort of skills they had, and what interested them, and gave them better options (which happened to be less expensive as well!) for kits that were more on par with their skills and abilities. In all they took probably close to 45 minutes, going over all the different kits and what would be a good fit for what they were trying to do, and I really appreciated that. One of my nephews eventually decided to buy a different kit from another manufacturer, but the younger one bought a Semroc Lil' Hustler, and which some coaching from his goofy uncle, managed to not only win the local fair with it, but to go to the Indiana State Fair...

I next met up with Carl and Sheryl at NARAM at Cincinnati year before last... I'd come down from north central Indiana for the afternoon, just after a heavy thunderstorm had wiped out most of the vendor's row tents... watched some flying and then attended the vendor's meeting that night at the hotel... then a bunch of us retired across the street to the Burger King, IIRC... I ended up eating with Bill and met up with a few other nice guys, and we sat across the aisle from Carl and Sheryl, who were sitting with Jonathan Dunbar IIRC... I visited with Carl and Sheryl across the aisle while we ate... told them about my nephew going to State Fair with their Lil' Hustler that they had sold them a few years before... We had a nice chat.

They didn't just talk about customer service and doing things right, they lived it. Carl will be VERY sorely missed... I don't think we shall see his like again...

Rest in Peace Carl-- fair skies and calm winds! God's blessings to his family.
Jeff Roberts
Old 08-12-2013, 09:33 PM
Aggressor Aerospace

Godspeed to a fine gentleman. My thoughts and prayers to the entire family. He touched many lives and will be sorely missed by all.
Old 08-12-2013, 09:55 PM
Apollo Nut

If anyone hears of any memorial wishes by the family in Carl's memory, please post here and let us all know.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 08-12-2013, 09:59 PM
Master Blaster

With deepest sympathy from the Miller family to Sheryl and Bruce.
This is a very sad day for all Model Rocketeers everywhere. Oh how lucky I am to have attended NARAM this year,as I had the opportunity to have an in depth conversation with Carl, Carl was like talking to a real old friend. God Bless you and Keep you.

This Sonnet is used to send off Aviators and Astronauts.

"Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of earth,
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
Sunward I've climbed and joined the tumbling mirth of sun-split clouds -
and done a hundred things You have not dreamed of -
wheeled and soared and swung high in the sunlit silence.
Hovering there I've chased the shouting wind along
and flung my eager craft through footless halls of air.

"Up, up the long delirious burning blue
I've topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace,
where never lark, or even eagle, flew;
and, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod
the high untrespassed sanctity of space,
put out my hand and touched the face of God."
Old 08-12-2013, 11:04 PM
Black Wolf Rocketry

I have no great experience or witty story to tell. All I can do is pray for our Lord's peace upon Sheryl and Bruce. Very sad tonight.

Harold Sasloe
Old 08-12-2013, 11:07 PM
Opinions mine; not of NAR or MOF!

The life given us by nature is short, but the memory of a life well spent is eternal. - Cicero

Dear Carl,

Thank you for creating so much happiness for so many.
We are in your debt.

Pat Fitzpatrick and Family
Old 08-12-2013, 11:14 PM
Level 5 Certified

Our deepest sympathies to the entire SEMROC family - we have lost of giant of a man, and a legend in the hobby of model rocketry. He will be deeply missed by all who were touched by him.

I spent almost an hour talking the Carl before he left NARAM. Every time our conversation would seem to end, there would be "one more thing', and we'd be off again. I'm a grateful I took the time to listen carefully - now there won't be another chance.

He made it a point to sponsor the A division trophies at NARAM - we are lucky enough to have a few in the house. My daughters were devastated by the news.

The world was a much better place because Carl was here.

Matt and the entire North Coast Rocketry family
Old 08-12-2013, 11:32 PM
Lost his Drifter

I spoke to Carl for about an hour at NARAM. I bought one of those new Egg Crate kits off of him. A very enthusiastic man, and it was a great pleasure to chat with him. People say he was a great gentleman, and I agree. He actually sought me out at NARAM to tell me something like, "hey it was great meeting with you, but I got to get going back home now. See ya..." I was surprised by this small gesture, but he made me feel special. What a nice man. I am very sad that he is no longer with us, and I won't get the chance to chat with him again.

-Wolf