Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Vendors
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2009, 07:54 PM
NAR # 19250 - Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Irvine
Mark Bundick specifically stated . . . NAR is not a trade association.

Almost any rational person could figure THAT out from reading the NAR By-Laws!

Quote:
Mark Bundick specifically stated he had no interest in such a plan .

I also suppose nearly any NAR member could figure out that I no longer have anything to do with NAR strategy or policy setting these days; I'm just a member, like about 4,500 other fine rocket flyers.

I do set some policy and strategy for the Fox Valley Rocketeers, a truly fun rocket club!

If a sufficient number of NAR members think the NAR should become a trade association, they could petition the NAR president with such a request.

My $0.02; YMMV.
A dark night in a city that knows how to keep its secrets. But high above the quiet streets on the 12th floor of the Acme Building, one man is still trying to find the answers to life's persistent questions. Guy Noir, Private Eye.

Fox Valley Rocketeers: http://www.foxvalleyrocketeers.org
Old 04-24-2009, 08:11 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
I for one think there are WAAAAAAAYYYYYYYY too many shipping regs in our country and quite frankly I think about 95% of ALL of them should be scrapped along with allowing the CARRIER that owns their business to regulate them HOWEVER THEY EACH SEE FIT as long as the carrier is not shipping stuff aboard airlines containing actual human passengers. They own the business and the means to transport them and it should be up to THEM to decide how they are handled, PERIOD.
Gov't intrusion into shipping of goods is about as worthwhile as taking a bowlin' bawl into the woods deer hunting !

As a first responder in a previous life, a lot of the shipping regs are there to protect first responders in the event of an accident. Now I WILL agree that some of the classifications don't make a whole lot of sense. There has to be SOME kind of standardized requirements for placarding and regulations for mixed loads (acids, oxidizers, explosives, etc. and what can and can't be carried in the same truck or shipment) and other such common sense type things to protect first responders and the public. I think some things are definitely overkill though.

Ask yourself, "would I be willing to walk up to that burning semi-trailer when the driver just told you he's hauling hazmats but isn't required to placard or carry MSDS sheets or even be sure of what he's hauling?? NOT ME!!!

Just something to think about... OL JR
Old 04-24-2009, 08:29 PM
Forest Sprite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
I for one think there are WAAAAAAAYYYYYYYY too many shipping regs in our country and quite frankly I think about 95% of ALL of them should be scrapped along with allowing the CARRIER that owns their business to regulate them HOWEVER THEY EACH SEE FIT as long as the carrier is not shipping stuff aboard airlines containing actual human passengers. They own the business and the means to transport them and it should be up to THEM to decide how they are handled, PERIOD.
Gov't intrusion into shipping of goods is about as worthwhile as taking a bowlin' bawl into the woods deer hunting !

All well and good, as long as they ship it on their own private roads, and only across their own land, or in airspace over their own land. Because if they ever want to put any of it on any of the roads that I as a taxpayer helped to pay for, or if they want to bring it through or fly it over MY community, then I am going to want to see some regulation of it. Regulations that they HAVE to follow, not ones that they voluntarily subscribe to.

MarkII
Mark S. Kulka NAR #86134 L1,_ASTRE #471_Adirondack Mountains, NY
Opinions Unfettered by Logic • Advice Unsullied by Erudition • Rocketry Without Pity
+09281962-TAK-08272007+
SAM # 0011
Old 04-24-2009, 09:12 PM
Forest Sprite

Quote:
Mark Bundick specifically stated . . . NAR is not a trade association.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNoir
Almost any rational person could figure THAT out from reading the NAR By-Laws!
If a sufficient number of NAR members think the NAR should become a trade association, they could petition the NAR president with such a request...

[DIGRESSION] It should go without saying that NAR's GREATEST strength is that it is a volunteer organization whose membership is comprised of rocket FLYERS from all branches of model rocketry and high power rocketry, possessing all levels of skill and experience. Turning it into a trade association would only weaken it, and quite frankly, if NAR were to convert to such an organization, then I would want no part of it.

My 12.75¢....... Yesterday Morning, Momma Vacuumed. [/DIGRESSION]

MarkII
Mark S. Kulka NAR #86134 L1,_ASTRE #471_Adirondack Mountains, NY
Opinions Unfettered by Logic • Advice Unsullied by Erudition • Rocketry Without Pity
+09281962-TAK-08272007+
SAM # 0011
Old 04-24-2009, 09:29 PM
Roger Smith/JonRocket.com

Quote:
a. Walk into any hobby shop and buy them for $16 or $17 each (the "F"'s)
b. Buy them direct from Quest online for $8 or $9 each ?

Hmmm ... The choice is to pay $16 (+ sales tax) from your local dealer or $8 (plus $25 shipping) from Quest?

:-)

Seriously, why not sell them through both retailers and online at the same $16 or $17 each price. Online offer free shipping on orders of five or more motors. That way your retailers could offer the product and not be undersold (on small quantities) by Quest. Those ordering larger quantities could save a few dollars ordering online.

-- Roger
Old 04-24-2009, 10:25 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaquin
Well that explains it!

Very cool decals! I really like that rocket. Will that be a future kit release or just a personal build?

That particular one was a personal build... I wanted something to fly with the new Quest E&F motors that would not go out of site, but would at least get up to stable flying speed on the relatively low impulse motors. There is a little more info on it here:

http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/show...07&page=1&pp=10
Old 04-24-2009, 10:43 PM
The_Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokitflite
That particular one was a personal build... I wanted something to fly with the new Quest E&F motors that would not go out of site, but would at least get up to stable flying speed on the relatively low impulse motors. There is a little more info on it here:

http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/show...07&page=1&pp=10

Thanks I'm going to check that out. I must have missed that build thread somehow.

SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Paint & Detail: USR Banshee
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
🚀 In Repair: SLS Lil’ Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart 1969 Trim
🚀 Stay Tuned For Fall 2021 Launch Dates
Old 04-25-2009, 02:38 AM
Too Many Initiators is Never Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Rocketeer "II"

One more quick story about Big Dog - the kit will be packaged in a nice new e-flute box. Well, the first shipment of 3,000 boxes showed up here last week with a considerable amount of damage in transit. Seems they were handled so roughly in one of the freight terminals that all the bands holding the boxes onto the pallets had been broken and the boxes subsequently were scattered all over the terminal floor (grease, dirt, you get the picture...). Well, the highly trained/paid union workers simply threw them all back on the pallet and shrunk wrapped it. When we dissected it all here after arrival, they had damaged over 2800 of 3000 boxes !!!

Can you say FREIGHT CLAIM?

I say, "Limited Edition Collector's Items!"

Bob
Old 04-25-2009, 02:47 AM
Too Many Initiators is Never Enough

Quote:
Bob,

Yes it is ! We've changed it to include a 29mm motor mount (to accomodate our 29mm "F"). and we had to come up with a reasonable method to add nose weight. These BP motors are alot heavier than their AT counterparts. I'll shamefully admit that the very first test flight of the Big Dog with an F12 was a specatacular sky writing show for the full four seconds of burn time. No one was injured diving for cover, but we all had sore cheeks from laughing so darn hard afterwards !

Thanks for the answer, Bill. I look forward to buying/flying the Big Dog.

Another kit was displayed along with the Big Dog during the iHobby show. I think it was called the (E)Xcalibur. Will Quest be releasing this kit, also?

Bob
Old 04-25-2009, 08:55 AM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Quote:
Alan,

We haven't made that decision yet. If we go retail, the prices will be higher but distribution wider. They can not be shipped via the post office, so re-shipping from our distributors to our dealers will be difficult because most are not UPS or FedEx HazMat certified shippers.

What would you guys prefer?

a. Walk into any hobby shop and buy them for $16 or $17 each (the "F"'s)
b. Buy them direct from Quest online for $8 or $9 each ?

Well, speaking as a retail hobby store "rocket guy", I'd like to be able to sell them!

The major hobby distributors (Horizon, Great Planes) are well versed in UPS and FedEx HazMat shipping of rocket motors from the warehouses to retail stores. They already have to do so for Aerotech single use F and G motors, some Aerotech reload kits, and Estes E9's.

I'm well versed in the practice of ordering enough product at a time so that I can spread the added cost of the $25 hazmat charge out over a large number of motors.

Alan